IGNORED

Mock shirt

Rafcin
Note: This thread is 6387 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've had it. I'm sick and tired of the pompous ass golf courses, that are so full of them self, to give me shiz about my "tiger-style" mock golf shirt. Enough already. 3/4 of the Tour wears it. Gary Player wore it in the 50's already.

What the F is the problem? Can someone explain it to me what kind of esthetic controversy a mock shirt represents ???

"Collared shirt required" doesn't specify the SHAPE of the collar. after all I don't have a cleavege cut-out t-shirt on ????

And to top it all :
WHY ARE THEY SELLING MOCK's IN THEIR PROSHOPS ?!?!?!?!?!?!!?

Of course I'm a loser. I bought a "normal" shirt for $50 and played anyway. Twice already this year. Next time I'll take my mock off and shove it... ok, you get the idea.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

That's pretty stupid. What courses did this? Cuz I'd just as soon leave and get my money back as not wear a darn mock shirt, particularly if they're selling them on the course.

I've almost never seen someone question someone else's dress, even if they are breaking the code. Wow. New Jersey must have a lot of pricks.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

That's pretty stupid. What courses did this? Cuz I'd just as soon leave and get my money back as not wear a darn mock shirt, particularly if they're selling them on the course.

First time - one of these "old money clubs" with membership mostly jewish and mostly over 60 - it was a MGA Amateur Qualifier.

Second time - a so-so semi club, that I'd categorize about 1 inch above an average county dog track. Third time - really nice semi with 14K membership, however open to public with $120 rates. All 3 of them were selling those shirts, why? Because people like them and buy them, because morons like me want to look like Tiger & Co. Afterall - they (pro-shops) do that for money. It's easy to be a prick when you have about 500 golfers per golf course in a state (my own estimate).

I've almost never seen someone question someone else's dress, even if they

I've seen my Head Pro politly explaining to a gentleman (using that term loosely), that jeans shorts and tank-top shirt are really not appropriate and offered him 20% discount on his purchase... And my semi is only about 3 inches above a typical muni

That's crazy. I wear them all the time, and I buy them in my pro shop. Who could be so stupid to not allow the clothing they are selling in their pro shop?
R7 Quad 9.5*
Cleveland Launcher 13*
Cleveland Launcher 15*
Ben Hogan C455 21*
MP-33 PW-4 iron MP Series 56* & 60*Corza MonzaProV1

If it's a regular problem make your own dickie; just cut the collar off an old polo-style shirt and keep it in your bag to wear under your mock. Once you're off the first tee put it back in the bag .

What's in the bag?
Taylormade R7 Superquad
TaylorMade Burner 3W & 5W
Hogan Edge Hybrid 21*
Mizuno MX20 4-PWCleveland 588 GW & CG10 SWOdyssey 2-Ball Center ShaftTitleist NXT Tour

The closest thing the courses that I play have to a dress code is a sign that says, "Shirts should be worn at least until out of sight of what passes for the Pro Shop". Strikes me as pretty snobbish...

Rick

I personally do not like the Mock shirts myself but if they have no rule posted than it should be OK

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

• 1 year later...
I didn't like the mocks at first but tired one at a local shop, I may be a fan.
DBake
Titleist 909D3 10.5* Tour Green 89 Stiff
Titleist 906F2 15* v2 85 Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 2-PW S300
Mizuno MP-R 52* & 59*Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5Titleist Pro V1Leupold GX-1The Home Course (75.7/130)

OMG, I have seen some out of touch clubs in my day, but this takes the cake. The Mock T-shirts are all the rage on tour and at most clubs around the country. Once the tour decided it was ok to wear them in place of collared shirts, I figured all the clubs would follow suit.

Reminds me of the time I had on jeans and a pair of Tony Lama Lizard cowboy boots and a guy in a suit said something to me about it.. I told him I had more money in the boots than he had in his whole outfit and obviously, he had no idea where he lived.. Here that is dressed up.

Roy McEvoy is my hero.

In My bag
TM Burner 9.5 S Flex

Wilson Invex Strong 3 and 5 wood

Maxfli Revolution 3-PW Irons

Cleveland 54/60 wedges

Odessey XG #7 Putter

I run the Pro Shop at a Country Club here in my home town and we do require a collared shirt. No ifs ands or buts, you have to have a collared shirt or you don't play. At the Woodlands in Houston where they use to play the PGA tournament, they require that you must have a collared shirt and you must have it tucked into your pants. Taking your shirt off at either course will get you ousted from the course by a Marshall. I've had the Woodlands Course make me tuck my shirt in before I could tee off on no. one. Thing is, I find no problem with rules and regulations like that. Golf is a gentlemans game and I've always adhered to the rules and dress codes.

Golf is not a game, it's a way of life!

Driver...Cubic Balance offset
Fairway wood......Flying Saucer
3-Wood....Cleveland LauncherIrons.......Callaway Great Big Bertha w/graphite shaftswedges....Cleveland sand wedge, Callaway Lob wedge putter....Claveland VAS.

I think the mocks look pretty sharp - especially good on cold days when you need long sleeves. I've worn worse clothes to church.

As a muni player, I'm used to not worrying about these things but on that rare occasion when I play a private course, I just swallow hard and conform to whatevever dress code they enforce. I do find it hard to believe that a club whose pro shop sells mocks won't allow them on their own course. Do you think they'd turn away Tiger if he showed up in a mock at their course?

In my bag:

Driver: Wishon 915CFE, 420cc, SK Fiber Lite Revolution I
Irons: Tommy Armour 845 FS - PW - 3
Hybrid: Adams Idea 21 deg.Wedges: Cleveland 900 52 deg., 56 deg. TA588 60 deg.Putter: Generic mallet style

I try to keep a collard shirt in my car all the time. Found it was cheaper than buying one of their overpriced shirts. Getting to a course with a group and not being properly dressed to their code leaves little options. I've seen a course make you wear a collared shirt then out on the course you see members wearing mock shirts, duh.

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

I think the mocks are easier to keep nice looking, even my expensive polos the collars roll, especially if you are taking them out of a suitcase. Generally private courses in my area don't allow blue jeans and sleeveless shirts, my home course doesn't allow sleeveless shirts but keeps a few loaners. They get washed with the course laundry so look grubby but they do keep them clean. Anyway why play a place that is obviously more about excluding people than playing golf?

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

I like them especially when the weather gets a little cooler...to wear as an undershirt more or less. In the summer I like that little extra protection from the sun (so I don't have to wear the collar up on a polo shirt)

I run the Pro Shop at a Country Club here in my home town and we do require a collared shirt. No ifs ands or buts, you have to have a collared shirt or you don't play. ...Thing is, I find no problem with rules and regulations like that. Golf is a gentlemans game and I've always adhered to the rules and dress codes.

Sorry rembrandt, but you lost me. I understand what you say about gentleman's game, dress code, etc. - I'm very traditional myself, i.e. never playing in shorts unless it's 120+ degrees... What I'm missing however is the point - why does it HAVE TO be collared shirt? Esthetically it's not a issue, you can't compare it to a tank-top or a wife-beater shirt, cut-off jeans or anything like that. What makes the collar so much better than a mock??? Again - tradition is not an argument, since Gary Player introduced mocks in the 50's already. I think 50 years can be considered as "traditional". Esthetically collar does not have advantage over a mock. What is the reason? I've no idea.

I know it's a free country and I someone creates a private club and requires everybody to wear kilts - he's free to do so. What really ticks me off is that private course staff is greedy enough to try to make money on sale of mock-shirts while they prohibit them from being worn during play. That's just plain stupid.

...Anyway why play a place that is obviously more about excluding people than playing golf?

I agree, I'd normally just walk out... the problem was it was a qualifier tournament for a regional USGA event, that I've paid $150 entry fee already. I doubt they'd refund me if I refuse to play due to dress code at that place

From my point of view a turtle or mock turtle is a collared shirt. It is just a different kind of collar. For petes sake, they sell the most awful polos made out of T shirt material these days, they look awful, just T shirts with a cheap collar sewn on. The issue is appropriateness of dress. I believe that these clubs need to show a little common sense, especially when dealing with guests or special events. I am 50, but this kind of rigidity is what turns young people off from golf. Some of my favorite golf memories are of being paired with a couple of farmers still in denim for a late pm round. Anyone who had met them would vouch that they were as classy as it comes. I am reminded of a line from Blast from the past. The duty of a host is to try and make everyone as comfortable as possible. It sounds like these clubs need to remember that they are hosts and that is their first responsibility.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Note: This thread is 6387 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!