IGNORED

Whats your favorite golf slang term or saying..

XSup
Note: This thread is 4013 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

When your opponent, preferably in match play has two putts to win the hole, but leaves his/her first putt well short or well past the hole.

You smile and say "you left some chicken on the bone" and proceed to perform the chicken dance while repeating "chicken on da bone" or clucking until he/she lines up for the next putt.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

• 2 weeks later...

If someone one 'pulls' drive or putt - "you went Pee Wee (Hermon) on that one."

If they ask "what?"

reply:

"You gave it a good yank"

Driver R7 Superquad NV 55 shaft or Bridgestone J33 460 NV 75 shaft
3 and 5 Wood X
Hybrid original Fli Hi 21* or FT 22*
Irons AP2
Wedges Vokey 52* - 8 , 56* 14, 60*-7Putter California CoranodoBall TP RedGPS NeoRange Finder- Bushnell Tour V2 When Chuck Norris puts spin on the ball, the ball does not...

Originally Posted by MunkeyGolfer

"Lift your skirt up, Alice" after leaving a putt short

There is a few Alice remarks in this thread for short putts, not sure if everyone knows, but it originally  - "hit is Alliss" was in about Peter Alliss. Here is good little write up on it: http://golf.about.com/od/faqs/a/nice-putt-alice.htm

Who's the 'Alice' in 'Nice Putt, Alice'? Go Ask Alliss

By , About.com Guide

Peter Alliss

Peter Alliss plays the British Open at Royal Troon in 1973.

Say you're playing in a foursome with three of your buddies, when one of them lines up a putt, takes his stroke ... and doesn't even get the ball to the hole. What do you say?

Well, one possibility is, "hit it, Alice!" Another is, "nice putt, Alice!"

The derogatory "Alice" statement has been part of golf for decades. But who is Alice? And what did she do to get immortalized in a golf insult that frequently follows a putt left short?

Contrary to one frequently offered explanation, this "Alice" has nothing to do with the Jackie Gleason sitcom The Honeymooners . Gleason was a golf fanatic, and his character on the show, Ralph Kramden, played golf, too. Ralph's wife was named Alice. It's a good guess, but the phrase does not refer to Alice Kramden.

It turns out that "Alice" isn't a she at all. "Alice" is a he, and it's not "Alice," it's "Alliss." As in Peter Alliss .

Peter Alliss is the famous English golf broadcaster, the voice of golf on the BBC for decades. But before he became internationally famous as a broadcaster, Alliss was famous in Britain and Europe as a touring pro. And a pretty good one, too: Alliss won 21 times on the precursor to the European Tour and played on eight Ryder Cup teams.

At the 1963 Ryder Cup in Atlanta, Alliss played Arnold Palmer and Tony Lema in back-to-back singles matches and won 1.5 points, halving with Lema and beating Palmer.

At some point during his match against Palmer, Alliss - for whom putting was not a strength - badly missed a 3-foot putt. Someone in the gallery yelled out, "Nice putt, Alliss!"

Alliss described that moment in a brief article in a 1997 issue of Sports Illustrated , and explained how the phrase became part of the golf lexicon:

The BBC, for whom I now do golf commentary, played a large part in burning the phrase into the public consciousness. I was never renowned for my putting and therefore was an easy - and frequent - target for the many comedy programs on the "Beeb," where great humor was found in such knee-slappers as "That girl Alliss sure hits it a long way."

So BBC programs of the early to mid-1960s liked to get punny with Alliss' name and its homonym, the female monicker Alice. Ah, that good ol' golf humor: questioning a man's, well, manliness for leaving a putt short by calling him a woman's name. They did it in the 1960s and they - ahem, we - still do it today.

Except that today, most golfers - most of those outside of Britain, anyway - have no idea that "Alice" is actually Peter Alliss. But now you do.

3 and 5 Wood X
Irons AP2
Wedges Vokey 52* - 8 , 56* 14, 60*-7Putter California CoranodoBall TP RedGPS NeoRange Finder- Bushnell Tour V2 When Chuck Norris puts spin on the ball, the ball does not...

Originally Posted by dhanson

"hit that one a little oprah," or "you oprah'd that one."

translation: hit it fat

We call an Oprah - a fat shot that ends up very very very good.

Another words Fat but it is making lots of money

3 and 5 Wood X
Irons AP2

When u hit a long drive u say "someone call child services cuz that baby got smacked" heard it on a T.V. show once i laughed.

In my callaway.gif Warbird Bag XXT Stand Bag:

callaway.gif Driver Diablo 9*
callaway.gif Hybrid 3H Diablo 21*
mizuno.gif MP-33's 3-pwcallaway.gifWedge 60* X-Forgedcallaway.gif Putter Ruthfords seriestitleist.gif Nxt Tour Ball

• 1 year later...

What do you call it when a player putts and someone says "It's In!" or "Good Putt" but the ball doesn't go in the hole?  I've heard it before but I can't come up with it now.  Thanks.

"members bounce" (kick into fairway from certain doom)

"so does your husband play golf"  (short on a putt)

"shankapotamous" (from that talking baby investment commercial)

G25 Driver (10.5* Stiff Flex)

G20 3 Wood (15* Stiff Flex)

i15 3 Hybrid (20* Stiff Flex)

i20 Hybrid (23* Stiff Flex)

JPX 800 (5-AW)

T11 54* (9* Bounce) and 58* (10* Bounce) w/DG Spinner Shafts

Tracy

My ball is anything on sale

These are some I made up..

After a severe chunk: "You just changed the earth's rotation." or "They're gonna feel that one in China."

Short putt: "So, what color are your panties?"

dak4n6

Originally Posted by 2bGood

We call an Oprah - a fat shot that ends up very very very good.

Another words Fat but it is making lots of money

Another words in other words

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Note: This thread is 4013 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!