IGNORED

Deciding on my Next Set of Clubs

Note: This thread is 5892 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As you guys may know from my earlier thread, i'm planning to get a new set of clubs for my birthday. I've talked to my parents and they said i can get the set i want, just no hybrids, because my parents want me to develop a good golf swing. So, do you guys have any suggestions? Right now, i have the Ping G10s or the TM R7s in mind. Thanks

Oh, do you guys have any suggestions for drivers/putters as well? Thanks

Between those two, TM R7 TP.

titleistprov1x |nikeneo |●| callawayx-forged 54/60 |● |mizunoMP68

adamsproblack 3H |●| mizunoMPtitanium5w/3w |●| mizunoMP630FT

Honestly i would recommend a hybrid ...i just demoed the Nike SQ SUMO squared 20 degree hybrid today--and i was absolutely stunned at how long and forgiving it was...As far as irons--i would recommend something like the Srixon I-701's...Best Of Luck to You

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

the cleveland CG golds are tight too!! i LOVE them

In my Xtreme II carry bag:

Mizuno Driver
MacGregor 3Wood
Taylormade Rescue Hybrid 3i CG Gold Graphite Irons (4-PW) 52* CG14 wedge Vokey 56* Sand Wedge Vokey 60* Lob Wedge 33" Newport

What the heck do hybrids and developing a good swing have in common??

That's just plain dumb....with all due respect to your parents.

What the heck do hybrids and developing a good swing have in common??

100% agree... there is NO correlation.

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

As you guys may know from my earlier thread, i'm planning to get a new set of clubs for my birthday. I've talked to my parents and they said i can get the set i want, just no hybrids, because my parents want me to develop a good golf swing. So, do you guys have any suggestions? Right now, i have the Ping G10s or the TM R7s in mind. Thanks

Is the handicap listing accurate?

Is their ruling on hybrids no hybrid-sets (i.e., the Cleveland set that has all hybrids) or no hybrids in the bag at all?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I strongly believe to develop a good swing is to get a good instructor, NOT a new set of irons with or without hybrids.

What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

Decison making is personal and based on a number of factors. Try x-20 (or X-18) as well. of the two mentioned R7 as you will keep them longer and not outgrow them.

Drivers: try TM Burner, G10 or FT-5

Putters: I like the new Odyssey Sabertooth. Looks strange but works well for me. Heard good thing re Titleist. VERY personal and some of it is psychological.

In my Sun Mountain 3.5 light stand bag:

Driver: Burner (10.5 degree)
Hybrids: 3DX DC (17 degree)
Irons: Taylormade R7 (4-AW)SW: Vokey Spin Milled (56 degree)Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 (coming soon)Balls: Pro V1 and NXT Tour

i would try adams, because hybrids have nothing to do with a bad swing. you are supposed to hit them like irons. if your parents are firm about no hybrids, try the x-20's, or the cobra fp's. i was around your handicap when i got them, and they are nice, and not too expensive, letting you spend more on a driver or putter.

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

Give the Cleveland CG Golds a try, i was all set and decided on pings , but i tried these last night and they felt great.. now im confused again

who ever thought buying irons would be such a hard decision... As for putters, that comes down to personal choice. I went to a golf superstore and spent ages trying all sorts, you just need to find one you feel comfortable and more inportantly confident with. Good luck

I started playing

seriously just under 1 year ago, I went to my local club-shop, went for a custom-fitting (along with swing-test on the computer) and I went for the Mizuno MX-19 irons: oversized cavity-backs, easy to get in the air and you get good distance on them. However, I've now started using a variety of individual blade irons, Titleist 690.MB & 695.MB, Nike Forged (3, 6, 7, 8 irons) and my swing/shot-making has improved an absolute ton. The only downside (and it's very minor, IMO) is my distance has decreased by about 5-10 yds per club. As for drivers, I started with the stock TaylorMade Burner for 2 months but traded that in after 18 holes with the Nike Sasquatch SUMO (non-squared). I'm now awaiting on another driver I purchased a week ago: Nike Sasquatch 460 Tour (9.5°, Diamana Blueboard 83 shaft - stiff)
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

There will be as many suggestions for you as there are clubs available. What is the benefit of a hundred people telling you what THEY like? Hit as many sets as you can and ignore the marketing hype. None of the major companies make bad clubs, and no clubs can correct the problem of not being square at impact.

Mizuno MX-900 now is quite cheap, and personally I satisfy with them. Just don't know how it perform compare to let say R7 Draw and CG4 tour, G10. Apart from G10, I found those 3 iron set now are more or less in the same price range. any comments on this?

But I agree that there is no corralation between hybrid and good golf swing.

whether hybrids discourage a good golf swing or not (they don't), all that matters is if you score better with hybrids. you can have a terrible blindfolded swing with hybrids if it gets it to the hole.

In my x78 stand bag
Driver Tour Burner 9.5 REAX stiff
3 Wood 906F4 15.5 Aldila VS Proto stiff
Hybrid IDEA Pro Gold Matrix Ozik stiff
Irons AP1 4-W DG S300Wedges Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54, V-Foil Tour 60Putter Red X 35"Ball ProV1

There will be as many suggestions for you as there are clubs available. What is the benefit of a hundred people telling you what THEY like? Hit as many sets as you can and ignore the marketing hype. None of the major companies make bad clubs, and no clubs can correct the problem of not being square at impact.

Could not have said it any better. I was all set to buy a TM Burner Driver this week and tried a few other models with the fitter. Selected the Nickent 4DX based on my swing and what felt right!

In my Sun Mountain 3.5 light stand bag:

Driver: Burner (10.5 degree)
Hybrids: 3DX DC (17 degree)
Irons: Taylormade R7 (4-AW)SW: Vokey Spin Milled (56 degree)Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 (coming soon)Balls: Pro V1 and NXT Tour

I personally don't think you can wrong with any of the current or past models from the major brands.

We all have our favorites based on who knows why...like some have said get what feels right and looks good to you. Don't second guess your decision, be confident in your equipment, take care of it and it will take care of you....wow I sound like my dad.....I am getting old..

Note: This thread is 5892 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!