IGNORED

First Tournament

cruzhepug
Note: This thread is 1021 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm signed up the play in a US Senior Amateur qualifying round tomorrow, practice round today. This will be my first real event I've played in. Any tips? I'm guessing I should just plan my day just like any other round? Same warm up, same everything? I feel like I've been over thinking it the last 2 weeks.

First, Welcome to TST.   We're glad you've joined.     Good luck, stay hydrated and have fun. 

• Thumbs Up 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, cruzhepug said:

I'm signed up the play in a US Senior Amateur qualifying round tomorrow, practice round today. This will be my first real event I've played in. 

Wow, going for the top right out of the gate.  Most of us play in a few state events, club championships, etc... to get a feel for how we react to serious competition.  My only advice is remember it is just golf, a game, and enjoy the day.

• Thumbs Up 1

Brian Kuehn

9 hours ago, cruzhepug said:

I'm signed up the play in a US Senior Amateur qualifying round tomorrow, practice round today. This will be my first real event I've played in. Any tips? I'm guessing I should just plan my day just like any other round? Same warm up, same everything? I feel like I've been over thinking it the last 2 weeks.

Good for you, what course are you qualifying at?  Good luck.

Good luck.  Make sure you know the rules, of course;  people can and do get casual with the rules during non-tournament play.  Make sure you know what local rules are in effect, too;  you don't want to Jerry Rice yourself out of a tournament if, for example, laser range finders aren't allowed but you use one. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

16 hours ago, cruzhepug said:

So.... let me get this straight.

You have a handicap of 7.4 maximum.

You are at least 55 years old.

This is the first "real event" you've played in.

You are asking people whom you've never met how you should approach this.

Most people in this event have been playing competitively for 30 years at least, I would guess.

There must be a back story.  Would you care to share it?

Edited by Shorty

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

3 hours ago, Shorty said:

So.... let me get this straight.

You have a handicap of 7.4 maximum.

You are at least 55 years old.

This is the first "real event" you've played in.

You are asking people whom you've never met how you should approach this.

Most people in this event have been playing competitively for 30 years at least, I would guess.

There must be a back story.  Would you care to share it?

Not really much of a back story. Been playing golf most of my life, just for fun on the weekend. Last 10 years or so kinda started getting serious about keeping a handicap. After posting enough scores I was about a 16. worked it down to 12-13 and then about 4 years ago my goal was to get it to 10, I did. The next year was to get it below 10, got it to 8. The last couple it just kept creeping down and finally reach a 6.3. Playing a 6.8 as of today.

After watching some of the Senior US Open a couple of weeks ago I looked at the USGA website, saw the Senior Amateur was a 7.4 and 55 to get in so I sent in my application. And here I am........who knows, this might be the only chance I'll ever have to do this.

Only tournaments I've really played in are the odd scramble a few times a year.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

57 minutes ago, cruzhepug said:

Not really much of a back story. Been playing golf most of my life, just for fun on the weekend. Last 10 years or so kinda started getting serious about keeping a handicap. After posting enough scores I was about a 16. worked it down to 12-13 and then about 4 years ago my goal was to get it to 10, I did. The next year was to get it below 10, got it to 8. The last couple it just kept creeping down and finally reach a 6.3. Playing a 6.8 as of today.

After watching some of the Senior US Open a couple of weeks ago I looked at the USGA website, saw the Senior Amateur was a 7.4 and 55 to get in so I sent in my application. And here I am........who knows, this might be the only chance I'll ever have to do this.

Only tournaments I've really played in are the odd scramble a few times a year.

Just approach it as a learning experience and try to have fun. Let bad shots go and focus on the next shot.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

First thing is get a rule book, read it and definitely keep it in your bag.  You don't want to face issues with penalty shots or a DQ for accidentally violating a rule.

In terms of how you approach the game, it depends on your personality.  Some people play better under pressure and others prefer a more calm environment.  Depending on what you are like, plan to play accordingly.  For example, you can choose to keep score and know your position at all times or just write it down and ignore it till you tally it up after 18 holes.

Definitely practice as much as you can before the tournament, but don't try to make swing changes between now and then.  Also, try to figure out where you are gaining and more importantly losing strokes.  Then plan your practice sessions accordingly.  You definitely want to strengthen your good points and focus on minimising the damage your bad points cause.

Finally, definitely ensure you are warmed up on the day before you tee off.  You don't want to take a couple of holes to warm up and find your rhythm.  Losing strokes aimlessly isn't good, especially in a competitive tournament

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

(edited)

Well, today was most certainly a learning experience. Needless to say I was nervous and on top of that watching the other guys warm up I was a bit intimidated, some really good golfers. Took 7 holes for the nerves to settle, when I made about a 20 footer for birdie. Managed 2 more birdies on the way in but the damage was already done. Fought the driver most of the day that didn't help matters, also had 3 three putts. Overall just a bit too inconsistent, especially with the irons, today

All and all it was very fun day and one for the memory banks. I guess best of all I didn't finish last 😂

Edited by cruzhepug
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

13 minutes ago, cruzhepug said:

All and all it was very fun day and one for the memory banks. I guess best of all I didn't finish last 😂

First, nicely done putting together three birdies under the pressure.  That's pretty cool.  Save and mark the ball if you haven't already :-)  

Since you had fun, look into clubs or leagues in your area.  It won't quite be at the level of national championship, but you'll get a chance to play more tournament golf.  And who knows, maybe next year at this time you'll get a chance to attempt qualifying again.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Note: This thread is 1021 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!