IGNORED

Question About Toe Up at Address for Irons

Note: This thread is 1003 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

39 minutes ago, KevinBlake said:

If your hands are high up at both address & impact, should your iron address position be toe up or flush with the ground?

Depends on the swing. The club shaft is not straight at impact, even if you match hand position because the weight of the clubhead will cause the shaft to bend, sending the toe closer to the ground. That depends on your swing speed, and the golf shaft. 

Its best just to get fitted for irons and use a lie board. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So it's not the position of your hands that affect how much your toe should be up at address, it's just your swing speed and the material the shaft is made from?

I had seen it mentioned that hand position was the most important thing for this but maybe it's wrong 

8 minutes ago, KevinBlake said:

So it's not the position of your hands that affect how much your toe should be up at address, it's just your swing speed and the material the shaft is made from?

I had seen it mentioned that hand position was the most important thing for this but maybe it's wrong 

No, It does impact lie angle at address. Hand position can effect lie angle at impact to. 

just because you present no toe up at address doesn’t mean you present that same position at impact. Your hand position can be different at impact than at address, and the dynamics of the golf club will change the lie angle as well.

you could have very low hands at address and then swing where they end up much higher. If you change the lie angle of the club because it looks a lot toe up at address, then you could induce the toe to be down at impact.

impact is what matters. When fitting, they have you hit a lie angle board, impact. Not measure lie at address.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

@KevinBlakeHave you read this post? It may help.

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

14 hours ago, KevinBlake said:

If your hands are high up at both address & impact, should your iron address position be toe up or flush with the ground?

I’m pretty sure most people’s hands are higher at impact than they are at address, but due to shaft droop, the club head ends up flatter. Toe up is generally the position at address.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• iacas changed the title to Question About Toe Up at Address for Irons
6 hours ago, billchao said:

I’m pretty sure most people’s hands are higher at impact than they are at address, but due to shaft droop, the club head ends up flatter. Toe up is generally the position at address.

Even people with a one plane swing? 

Note: This thread is 1003 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!