IGNORED

I have converted!!!

Note: This thread is 5873 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So would you say that the Titleist D1 is less distance and less forgiveness than the G10, Burner TP, Callaway Ft-5? (if you have tried one).

I preferred the D2 over D1. But both D1 and D2 did not get as much roll compared to G10, Burner and FT5. Yes, D1 is less forgiving than the 3 mentioned IMO. D2 had slight better distance and more solid feel compared to D1 with same shaft/loft combo.

906F4 was long and forgiving for a Titleist and it works out best for you then it's great. It's not that I couldn't play with it but I just wanted something with a hotter face. For me G10 was longer, more forgiving and quite workable as well compared to 906F4. I honestly find less tech in Titleist woods compared to other OEMs... They are great for traditinoalists who like persimmon/solid type of feel. I prefer the modern day hot face woods... That all... All boils down to personal preference.
Driver
909D2 9.5º w/ Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum Stiff

Woods
909F2 13.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway Stiff 909F2 18.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway StiffIrons MP60 3-PW w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Sensicore S300Wedges Vokey Design 200 Series Tour Chrome 52-08 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S200...

It's not that I couldn't play with it but I just wanted something with a hotter face.

What a load of complete NONSENSE. You have been listening to or reading gobbledegook from people who don't know what they're talking about. This idea of a "hot face" is just garbage. All modern woods go well if your clubface is square at impact and you hit the centre of the club.

What a load of complete NONSENSE. You have been listening to or reading gobbledegook from people who don't know what they're talking about. This idea of a "hot face" is just garbage. All modern woods go well if your clubface is square at impact and you hit the centre of the club.

Hot face in my definition is the explosive metalic sound vs the persimmon/solid sound. Of course if you hit the center it all goes well.

Did I ever say that Titleist wood did not go well? They are great clubs but as I said it boils down to personal preference. People I talked to might not be famous tour players but they are tour players who compete in Asian tour so I wouldn't call them ignorant... Some validity in their words IMO.
Driver

Woods
909F2 13.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway Stiff 909F2 18.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway StiffIrons MP60 3-PW w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Sensicore S300Wedges Vokey Design 200 Series Tour Chrome 52-08 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S200...

Hot face in my definition is the explosive metalic sound vs the persimmon/solid sound. Of course if you hit the center it all goes well.

I think I'd be going on feel rather than sound. The 904F has a particularly solid feel to it and a THWACKY sound, and the ball flies off it. But as far as the modern drivers out there, the companies are pretty much doing a great job convincing us that the 3 month old model is not as good as the new one! But............

Look how many Titleist "ambassadors" gave up on the D2 and stuck with the 905R.

I think I'd be going on feel rather than sound. The 904F has a particularly solid feel to it and a THWACKY sound to it. But as far as the modern drivers out there of there, the companies are pretty much doing a great job convincing us that the 3 month old model is not as good as the new one!

905R is I think a much better club than D2... Not only Titleist ambassadors but lots of Asian tour players who play Titleist feel that way too...

For me personally, feel and sound are unified somewhat... Titleist has the TWHACK sound/solid feel where as the Ping has the PING sound/hot face (metalic trampoline feel). That's all. As for companies, yes, they are doing great marketing but I don't buy that. One of the tour players I talk to about this wood issue still uses the old Callaway Big Bertha fairway and hits miles with it... I will be moving to Australia soon. Why don't we play a few rounds together when I get there? Will be going to Melbourne.
Driver

Woods

Gee, you must be the Executive Director of the Inter-Galactic Golf Club Manufacturers Association. Nobody had made me aware that all drivers perform the same. I am impressed that the design, metal processing, manufacturing processes and performance could be that consistent across manufacturers. That's a feat for one company. You must be the greatest Executive Director ever. Please help me with this one: I have heard stories about companies making up about 30 drivers of the same model. Then, this is really pointless, they give them to a touring pro and he picks the two or three he likes best and keeps them. I guess they choose based on the color of the finish since the clubheads are all identical. Some of them then actually take those heads and tailor the shafts so they have a #1 and a back-up. That's even more pointless or (as you so aptly put it) plain NONSENSE. What a bunch of poopy-heads . They should know that all of the clubs are identical and feel identical at impact. I'm calling Bubba and Chad now and tell them to stop wasting space and time with extra clubs. If they doesn't believe me, I'll refer them to you. Thank you for saving us all from our ignorance and giving us the chance to replace it with something else. Oh, it's spelled "gobbledygook". Keep that open mind and you'll keep learning. Best of luck.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

Please help me with this one: I have heard stories about companies making up about 30 drivers of the same model. Then, this is really pointless, they give them to a touring pro and he picks the two or three he likes best and keeps them. I'm calling Bubba and Chad now and tell them to stop wasting space and time with extra clubs.

If only Nicklaus and Norman had had that thrilling opportunity. Might have helped their lousy driving. The point I'm making is that the "off the rack" clubs which are available to the majority of golfers all perform pretty well. There's enough in this game to worry about without comparing what are essentially apples with apples as far as most of us are concerned.

If only Nicklaus and Norman had had that thrilling opportunity. Might have helped their lousy driving. The point I'm making is that the "off the rack" clubs which are available to the majority of golfers all perform pretty well. There's enough in this game to worry about without comparing what are essentially apples with apples as far as most of us are concerned.

Nicklaus, Norman and Watson DID exactly that. Nicklaus went to MacGregor and tried driver after driver until he found what he wanted. Watson did the same thing at Ram. Norman did this over the years with Spaulding and Cobra. Heck Bobby Jones did this in the 1920s.

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

Oh, it's spelled "gobbledygook". Best of luck.

Oh well - glad to know that you know how to type "google".

Would you care to enlighten me - Which current drivers (assuming they have the right shaft) would you say do not perform adequately for the average 13 marker? Bet you can't name one.

Drivers are very different. Different designs, different shafts and different target players. I've used Titleist drivers going back to the 975D and the 983K. I tried the 905R and the new 907 D1 and D2. The newer ones weren't a good match for me. They spin the ball way too much. These 907s are really high spin! I honestly believe they might be better for the 12-18 player than for lower handicappers due to the massive amount of backspin. They are both very forgiving as well.

I've tried the Ping G10 and liked it a lot more- lower spin, flatter flight. Tried the Srixon Z-RW and TM SuperQuad and Burner TP. All were lower spin than either 907.

I ended up with a Geek Dot Com This! and an Adams Dual Can 4350 (a Tour only model). Both are pretty low spin and not very forgiving, but have a high launch and flat flight. Coupled with Ozik Xcon shafts, they give me exactly what I want. A club that can't go left, has very low spin and high ball speed. Of the drivers I've tried, if I went with a major OEM club, it would be either the Cally FT-5, the Ping G10 or the Srixon Z-RW. I would then go to a good clubfitter to find a shaft that matches my swing in that head. Since all drivers are NOT the same, shaft characteristics can change from head to head.

If you change your mind and want to look for a shaft, find a great clubfitter. There are lots of great options out there, and not all of the great shafts are over $300. You just need someone who knows how to find the shaft that maximizes what you have.

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

• Administrator
Hot face in my definition is the explosive metalic sound vs the persimmon/solid sound.

That's not the definition used by anyone else, and I have to wonder if you know this and are being intentionally provocative. So you like the sound better - big whoopty doo. A lot of people like the more solid sound the Titleist woods offer. I know I do.

Gee, you must be the Executive Director of the Inter-Galactic Golf Club Manufacturers Association.

No need to be a jerk, mikelz. I know what he was saying and you probably did too. I also agree with what he was saying. Virtually all clubs these days perform - it's a matter of finding the clubhead and shaft that suit your swing. As for their "face," they're almost all right up against the 0.83 CoR limits.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That's not the definition used by anyone else, and I have to wonder if you know this and are being intentionally provocative. So you like the sound better - big whoopty doo. A lot of people like the more solid sound the Titleist woods offer. I know I do.

English is my second language so maybe that is why I didn't convey it clearly. Yes, I like the sound better - whoopty doo~~~. A lot of people I know like both solid and metalic sound equally. I know I don't give Titleist biased write ups just because the site is your supporter... I know you do

Driver

Woods

• Administrator
I know I don't give Titleist biased write ups just because the site is your supporter... I know you do

And you would be quite wrong. But thanks for playing.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

And you would be quite wrong. But thanks for playing.

We can't get them all, can we Erik?

Driver: 10.5* SuperQuad TP 1st Edition All Black V2 Stiff
5 Wood - 585.h 19* DG S300
Irons: 3-PW S59 Stiff
Wedges: Rac TP 52*, 60* MP-T 56*
Putter(s): Anser 3 TP Black ballGET TO SINGLE DIGITS!Goal: Beat a certain admin that lives in my town

i also sold my new titleist fairway wood. i could not hit it for the life of me. i went for the callaway ft-5 3 wood. I can bomb this thing about 250!!

that said, i absolutely love the d2 titleist driver.

I preferred the D2 over D1. But both D1 and D2 did not get as much roll compared to G10, Burner and FT5. Yes, D1 is less forgiving than the 3 mentioned IMO. D2 had slight better distance and more solid feel compared to D1 with same shaft/loft combo.

Ok thanks for the reply.

I tried to G10 driver today and it felt quite a lot like my D1, which I don't think is as traditional feel as the other titleist clubs. Sorry about asking this question as I have noticed you have been bagged out about the answer, but I think it was a great answer.
Driver Titleist 905R 9.5* (Stiff Prolaunch Blue 65g)
Hybrid: PT 585.H 17 * (Stiff titleist 75g shaft)
Irons: 695.cb 3-9 ( Dynamic Gold S300)
Wedges: 735.CM 47* PW, Vokey 200 series 50.08 Oil Can Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 Tour chrome, Vokey Spin Milled 58.08 Oil canPutter: Wilson Staff Kirk Kurrie #1[CO.....

You might have said it out of sacarsm but yes I am actually planning to goto Q-School in Australia. Not in the majors but maybe start with Asian tour first... As for a job, I am a business owner so no worries about that part... I am currently practicing with some local pros 4-5 times a week.

your handicap index is listed as a 14 have you not updated it in a while or are you just very optimistic, good luck any ways

Burner 10.5* driver
Burner 3 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Burner 5 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Tour Burner irons
Rac black 52* Rac satin 60* Red x 3 pro v1

• 2 weeks later...
The PING site has some good info on shaft options for the G10;

Prolaunch Red = low trajectory
Ping TFC129 = mid trajectory
Proforce V2 = high trajectory

There is also info on generic loft & flex options based on swing speeds, but there is a lot of overlap on both the loft and the flex, and suggests the best way is to go to a PING fitter.

http://www.pinggolf.com/drivers_shafts.html#

Superquad
Fusion #3
Big Bertha Warbird #5
755 3-PW
Vokey SM56.10 & 60.08 White Hot 2-ball

Note: This thread is 5873 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!