IGNORED

Beginner Failing at Hybrids

Note: This thread is 895 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I’ve posted a few times and gotten good advice , I worked like heck at tight lie shots after my last post and had great approaches all day today. 

Newest struggle is hybrids, I can hit my 5wood and 9 wood. Driver is decent too. I have a 27 degree 5 hybrid and a 19 degree 3 hybrid and can’t seem to do anything but slice them. Occasionally I have a run of 3 or 4 shots with the 5 that are ok, the 3 is occasionally ok off the deck but is also a tee slice. 

Any drills or techniques I should look into with them? I’d like to have them as a option for hillside lies and short tee shots where the woods aren’t ideal. 

13 minutes ago, DCCarpenter said:

I’ve posted a few times and gotten good advice , I worked like heck at tight lie shots after my last post and had great approaches all day today. 

Newest struggle is hybrids, I can hit my 5wood and 9 wood. Driver is decent too. I have a 27 degree 5 hybrid and a 19 degree 3 hybrid and can’t seem to do anything but slice them. Occasionally I have a run of 3 or 4 shots with the 5 that are ok, the 3 is occasionally ok off the deck but is also a tee slice. 

Any drills or techniques I should look into with them? I’d like to have them as a option for hillside lies and short tee shots where the woods aren’t ideal. 

Do you have the same shafts in them? It seems odd you can hit the other clubs fine but struggle with the hybrids. Do you think the smaller heads on the hybrids are making you swing a bit out of your shoes subconsciously?

Check the club weight differences among the woods and your hybrids.

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The shafts are regular flex graphite like my other clubs. 

You might be on to something with head size , my 9 wood has a bigger head than my 7 wood and I hit it much better. Neither are modern and super forgiving I think I just have more confidence and swing better with the bigger head possibly. 

The Cobra 3 hybrid has a quite small head , a good bit smaller than the Titleist 5 hybrid even. Maybe I just need to commit to hitting 1 or 2 full buckets with it until I feel comfortable that I can make good contact. 

As far as drills go...try lining up straight down the middle and targeting the right side of the fairway.  Opposite if you are left-handed.  In other words...hit the ball where you are concerned it may go.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

What kind of slice? As in where does ball start, then curve? Do you play the hybrids like an iron or a FW wood? If the ball position gets too far forward in the stance, that could produce a slice. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

22 hours ago, DCCarpenter said:

You might be on to something with head size , my 9 wood has a bigger head than my 7 wood and I hit it much better. Neither are modern and super forgiving I think I just have more confidence and swing better with the bigger head possibly. 

Here's something to remember for the most part loft hides swing flaws. 

I'm assuming your 9 wood is more lofted than your 7 wood. Therefore the same swing will produce a "straighter" shot with the 9 wood. 

Think about your 9 iron vs your 7 iron. A poor swing on either of them. The 9 iron will end up curving less. 

Your 3 hybrid only has 2/3 as much loft as your 5 hybrid. Naturally it will be more challenging to hit straight. 

Second thing to remember is that confidence won't keep an airplane in the air. When the ball is struck by your club it has no idea how confident you were or weren't before the shot. My best advice is to either get a MySwing thread started, and/or get with a good coach and have him/her help you with your swing. (I think you mentioned you were planning a MySwing Thread back in September.) As a rule Hybrids, 9 woods and 7 woods should be the most friendly clubs in your bag to hit. Even if they're older models. Hybrids (especially older models) were notoriously fade fighters. So if you are slicing them, there's probably a pretty obvious swing flaw there that a coach could help you work through. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Note: This thread is 895 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!