IGNORED

Shaft Weight Relationship to Flex

Note: This thread is 850 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Okay, I'm not completely sure that's an upgrade. Just my opinion, but the Ping G is/was the best driver Ping's ever made. ... (Don't tell me about MOI and moveable weights and what not. I know there are "measurables" that will show the G425 is better, but I don't see it when they are both in my hands. I think in terms of performance the PING G is still their best.) Having said that, can I ask why you switched out of the PING G if you were hitting 70-70% of your fairways? 

Lastly, when you did decide to switch, for what ever reason. Did you side-by-side compare the two drivers during your fitting? Is the G425 longer? Or does it have tighter dispersion? I will say the PING G while I believe will out perform any current PING driver especially if you were fit for it. The one downside of the PING G is the sound is VERY "pingie". 

With apples to apples comparison, the G425 is touted to be even more forgiving…couple that to the fact that (while I was happy with its performance) I hated the G’s sound - those were the reasons for my wanting to upgrade. It’s not like it was gonna be a huge change so I felt like it was a harmless $250 spent (I sold my G to a friend for just under $200 and bought a pre owned G425 for just under $450). I’m not unhappy with having to spend a few bucks for the right shaft (since once I sell the current one, it’ll only be a $30-40 difference)…still saving me a good chunk of change overall as compared to buying it new. 

Ps. The G425 feels so much better off the face :-)

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

35 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

With apples to apples comparison, the G425 is touted to be even more forgiving…couple that to the fact that (while I was happy with its performance) I hated the G’s sound - those were the reasons for my wanting to upgrade. It’s not like it was gonna be a huge change so I felt like it was a harmless $250 spent (I sold my G to a friend for just under $200 and bought a pre owned G425 for just under $450). I’m not unhappy with having to spend a few bucks for the right shaft (since once I sell the current one, it’ll only be a $30-40 difference)…still saving me a good chunk of change overall as compared to buying it new. 

Ps. The G425 feels so much better off the face :-)

Sound is important. I have a Titleist TSi2 and Callaway Epic. When I hit them side by side, the Epic sounds dead. They both go similar distances, but it’s an odd sound and feels off to me.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

My clubs can "quack" like a duck for all I'm concerned.  And I don't care how ugly they are.  And I've had some ugly ones.  Bottom line is if they perform better than their counterparts they're in the bag.  I do care what the bag looks like.

I agree sound is important, but disagree re the Epic. I find the sound of the sweet spot to be better than any other driver I have used, and even off hits sound good. Personal taste I guess. The only driver I have tossed due to sound was the Square head Callaway FTi which sounded like a .22 shot. Made me wince when I hit it. 

On 1/1/2022 at 6:10 PM, woodzie264 said:

I have previously used a Ping G with a 65R shaft and average 70-75% fairways.

I just upgraded to a Ping G425Max with a 55R shaft and it’s definitely whippy with me spraying it right.  I was wondering if the 10g weight makes the difference. 

I was just looking online at shafts and was considering the Aldila Rogue White 70g as it looks to be a low spin,  stable shaft. With a driver swing speed of 95-ish to maybe 100, I’ve always used a “regular” shaft vs a “stiff.”

Thoughts anyone? @Adam C?

I would need to know exactly what shaft you had in both the G and the 425 before I could recommend anything. Just as a side note, a "whippy" shaft by itself will not lose the ball right for a RH golfer. The feel of that shaft may influence the golfer in a way that causes them to leave the face open, but it's an important distinction when deciding on shafts to realize it's not the shaft itself that is hanging open.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

32 minutes ago, Adam C said:

I would need to know exactly what shaft you had in both the G and the 425 before I could recommend anything. Just as a side note, a "whippy" shaft by itself will not lose the ball right for a RH golfer. The feel of that shaft may influence the golfer in a way that causes them to leave the face open, but it's an important distinction when deciding on shafts to realize it's not the shaft itself that is hanging open.

I believe the G had an Aldila Alto 65g R and this new one is the Aldila Alta CB Smoke 55g R.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

4 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

I believe the G had an Aldila Alto 65g R and this new one is the Aldila Alta CB Smoke 55g R.

So the 55g CB shaft has the 8g plug in the butt end of it. It also has a heavier head weight to match up with that. That heavier head will make the shaft feel softer during the swing regardless of what shaft you put in it. You might want to try installing lighter head weights into it and removing the 8g plug just to see what happens as this will stiffen up the shaft a bit. The Alta CB is a very good shaft, quality wise, so I might try this before moving away from it. If nothing else it should be a cheaper experiment than a reshaft.

• Thumbs Up 2

Note: This thread is 850 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!