IGNORED

Shaft Weight Relationship to Flex

Note: This thread is 851 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have previously used a Ping G with a 65R shaft and average 70-75% fairways.

I just upgraded to a Ping G425Max with a 55R shaft and it’s definitely whippy with me spraying it right.  I was wondering if the 10g weight makes the difference. 

I was just looking online at shafts and was considering the Aldila Rogue White 70g as it looks to be a low spin,  stable shaft. With a driver swing speed of 95-ish to maybe 100, I’ve always used a “regular” shaft vs a “stiff.”

Thoughts anyone? @Adam C?

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think it’s difficult to go by numbers if you’re crossing brands. Regular/Stiff can vary from one maker to the next. I think you really have to try them to really know. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

34 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I think it’s difficult to go by numbers if you’re crossing brands. Regular/Stiff can vary from one maker to the next. I think you really have to try them to really know. 

Yeah, I get that. I thought that because they were both the same brand though (Aldila) that a Regular would = Regular regardless of a 10g difference in shaft weight

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

6 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

Yeah, I get that. I thought that because they were both the same brand though (Aldila) that a Regular would = Regular regardless of a 10g difference in shaft weight

Oh ok. I didn’t realize your Ping drivers had Aldila shafts. So I read it as trying a different shaft brand than the Ping clubs had.

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

@woodzie264 I went through re-shafting my driver (Ping G30) in September.  I experienced the same thing as you, the lighter shafts seemed to be a bit more whippy (regardless being the same flex).  I’m assuming different kick points for whatever reason.  Wound up going with the Tensei CK series shaft, and am happy with it.  Might be worth checking them out.

My Ping G15 has a great shaft on it, Aldila Serrano.  I wonder what the modern version of that is in their lineup, if you like Aldila?

I’m no expert, so take with a grain of salt.  But any reason you couldn’t use a stiff shaft?  I imagine you’d be able to load up properly at your swing speed.  My basic understanding is stiffer shafts generally have tighter dispersion.

10 minutes ago, Denny Bang Bang said:

@woodzie264 I went through re-shafting my driver (Ping G30) in September.  I experienced the same thing as you, the lighter shafts seemed to be a bit more whippy (regardless being the same flex).  I’m assuming different kick points for whatever reason.  Wound up going with the Tensei CK series shaft, and am happy with it.  Might be worth checking them out.

My Ping G15 has a great shaft on it, Aldila Serrano.  I wonder what the modern version of that is in their lineup, if you like Aldila?

I’m no expert, so take with a grain of salt.  But any reason you couldn’t use a stiff shaft?  I imagine you’d be able to load up properly at your swing speed.  My basic understanding is stiffer shafts generally have tighter dispersion.

Thanks for the response. Yeah, so as I mentioned in my OP, I’m looking at the Aldila Rogue White 70g shaft and, per reviews, it should be stiffer, more what I’m looking for. 

-Jonny

13 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

Thanks for the response. Yeah, so as I mentioned in my OP, I’m looking at the Aldila Rogue White 70g shaft and, per reviews, it should be stiffer, more what I’m looking for. 

Maybe I misunderstood your question.  I figured “thoughts anyone?” meant on shaft options in general vs thoughts on the Aldila Rogue specifically 

29 minutes ago, Denny Bang Bang said:

Maybe I misunderstood your question.  I figured “thoughts anyone?” meant on shaft options in general vs thoughts on the Aldila Rogue specifically 

You didn’t misunderstand. I was interested in all options and I was considering the option of a “stiff” vs the one I mentioned.  I was just responding to what I perceived as your question as to whether I wanted to stay with Aldila (end of your second paragraph). I’ve never played a “stiff” shaft on a driver and wasn’t sure if I’d lose any “kick” I’d want from the “regular.”  It’s such a fine line between being too whippy and perfect.

I suppose I was unclear in my OP; I was just wondering if the lighter 55g weight of new shaft affected its flex…if so, would the heavier 70g shaft I was considering rectify the issue or should I just get a “stiff.”  

-Jonny

13 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

You didn’t misunderstand. I was interested in all options and I was considering the option of a “stiff” vs the one I mentioned.  I was just responding to what I perceived as your question as to whether I wanted to stay with Aldila (end of your second paragraph). I’ve never played a “stiff” shaft on a driver and wasn’t sure if I’d lose any “kick” I’d want from the “regular.”  It’s such a fine line between being too whippy and perfect.

I suppose I was unclear in my OP; I was just wondering if the lighter 55g weight of new shaft affected its flex…if so, would the heavier 70g shaft I was considering rectify the issue or should I just get a “stiff.”  

I can't answer the shaft question but is your driver loft adjustable? I lowered the loft on my PXG, when I was playing with shafts, and that seemed to help with the openness of the lighter shaft for me.

13 minutes ago, Zippo said:

I can't answer the shaft question but is your driver loft adjustable? I lowered the loft on my PXG, when I was playing with shafts, and that seemed to help with the openness of the lighter shaft for me.

Interesting - hadn’t considered that

-Jonny

28 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

Ahh.  In the second paragraph I was sharing I think the Aldila Serrano is/was a great shaft.  If they make one similar under (but under a different name), it’s worth a look.  The Serrano had a mid/high kick point but was designed for 90-100 swing speed.  A fitter would probably tell me it’s not appropriate for my swing speed (110-ish) but I still loved it.

I think you’d be fine with a stiff shaft with a mid kick point.  Maybe the Rogue White Stiff 60.  Lighter, less whippy, and a mid kick point that gives you that “kick”.

• Thumbs Up 1

Typically, heavier is lower flight, lower spin. Lighter shaft probably got too spinny on you. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

10 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

The lighter weight affects flex generally at the tip and flex point. I’ve played Aldila with different weights in the same flex and the lighter the weight, the more whippy they felt. As @phillyk stated, they are also generally higher launch and have more spin. Aldila makes three different shafts in 70g in the Rogue Series, Silver, White and Black. They are low to high in launch respectively. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

5 hours ago, boogielicious said:

The lighter weight affects flex generally at the tip and flex point. I’ve played Aldila with different weights in the same flex and the lighter the weight, the more whippy they felt. As @phillyk stated, they are also generally higher launch and have more spin. Aldila makes three different shafts in 70g in the Rogue Series, Silver, White and Black. They are low to high in launch respectively. 

The lighter the flex, the higher the torque?  (flex/torque is what makes it whippy, not necessarily weight). I could be wrong, but that’s the way I’ve always understood it.

Edited by Denny Bang Bang

OK, never mind me.  This has made me think through my understanding of shafts and performance characteristics, and clearly my understanding is pretty muddy.  I’ll bow out now before hijacking the thread with my lack of knowledge.

Hope you find a shaft that works out well!

• Thumbs Up 1

My Google feed today had an article from  Golf.com which I couldn’t copy the link but it was called something like 5 Factors in choosing a driver shaft.  OP should give ir a read.

On 1/1/2022 at 6:10 PM, woodzie264 said:

I have previously used a Ping G with a 65R shaft and average 70-75% fairways.

I just upgraded to a Ping G425Max

Okay, I'm not completely sure that's an upgrade. Just my opinion, but the Ping G is/was the best driver Ping's ever made. ... (Don't tell me about MOI and moveable weights and what not. I know there are "measurables" that will show the G425 is better, but I don't see it when they are both in my hands. I think in terms of performance the PING G is still their best.) Having said that, can I ask why you switched out of the PING G if you were hitting 70-70% of your fairways? 

Lastly, when you did decide to switch, for what ever reason. Did you side-by-side compare the two drivers during your fitting? Is the G425 longer? Or does it have tighter dispersion? I will say the PING G while I believe will out perform any current PING driver especially if you were fit for it. The one downside of the PING G is the sound is VERY "pingie". 

A wise person told me to always bring your old club to the fitting for your new club. Why take a step backward in performance AND pay a pile of money? 

I'm not asking these things to be rude or condescending. Just want to understand the impetus to switch to something that it now seems with which you are chasing the previous something's performance. If the noise was simply causing your ears to bleed, I get that. If you had so many marks on the crown people thought it was a 2012 White Taylormade driver, I get that. If you just like shiny things... I TOTALLY get that. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Note: This thread is 851 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!