IGNORED

90 Days to Train - Returning to Golf After 5 Years

Old1964
Note:Β This thread is 819 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I had to give up golf due to back problems 5 years ago - at the "top" of my game.Β 

Since then, I have lost 2 inches of height due to spinal compression, but have been cleared to golf again.Β πŸ™‚

I have hired a trainer - with a football background and only a passing familiarity with golf.Β  We are working on overall conditioning.Β Β 

That said, I am looking for advice.Β  Things to avoid in these 90 days of training and things to include.Β 

Any insights would be appreciated.Β 

Thanks in advance.Β 

Titleist 910D2 10.5* Stiff / Taylormade 3 Wood - Superfast 2.0 15*Β  3 Superfast 2.0 Rescue 18* Stiff Shafts

46 minutes ago, Old1964 said:

I had to give up golf due to back problems 5 years ago - at the "top" of my game.Β 

Since then, I have lost 2 inches of height due to spinal compression, but have been cleared to golf again.Β πŸ™‚

I have hired a trainer - with a football background and only a passing familiarity with golf.Β  We are working on overall conditioning.Β Β 

That said, I am looking for advice.Β  Things to avoid in these 90 days of training and things to include.Β 

Any insights would be appreciated.Β 

Thanks in advance.Β 

Start here. These are great drills to get you back into the correct form.

Β 

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The number one thing to avoid is getting injured! It is wise to have a trainer who can guide you. Good luck and keep us posted!Β 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*Β  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100Β 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S |Β Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro PlusΒ Β 

Please keep us posted on your journey.Β  Β Your rehab has peaked my interest.Β  Β My brother had a neck injury which completely eliminated his golf which was his passion.Β  Β I hope for you the best.Β Β 

• Like 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.Β Β  I'm Denny

Work on flexibility, mobility of hips and chest/shoulders, core strength, and retain good posture. Strength conditioning in general will be good. Work on fast twitch movements.Β 

• Like 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach;Β Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI
Β 
TeamΒ :srixon:!

Starting today to do the mirror drills listed in the first post. Very grateful for the 30 day drills. I have never seen the golf swing broke down into such small segments!

The fast twitch conditioning is being addressed with stretching band exercises - focusing on speed and strength.Β 

My trainer said that we will be working on rotation next week so I am interested in how that will proceed.Β 

I feel for your brother - I know that feeling of letting golf go. I hope he has the opportunity to take it up again somehow. My brother in law has fractured his neck twice (once as an 19 year old playing football with his friends and then again when his Tahoe was struck by a utility truck). He has to turn his head away and loses sight of the ball - and is still remarkably consistent (about a 2 handicap) at 60 years old no less πŸ™‚

Titleist 910D2 10.5* Stiff / Taylormade 3 Wood - Superfast 2.0 15*Β  3 Superfast 2.0 Rescue 18* Stiff Shafts

Note:Β This thread is 819 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!