IGNORED

Format for a Golf Tournament Series

Themightyoz
Note: This thread is 814 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

In an effort to have compititions for golfers who really want to compete and for those who just want a good hack around the course the golf tournament series I am coming up with will have the following formats.  DO you notice any glaring problems with this format.  The idea being it lets more people win something.  

Every tournament will have teams of 4-6

Tournaments will have the following Competitions

1.      Low Scratch

2.      Low Net

3.      Best Net Score Best Ball Pair

4.      Best Net Score Best Ball Team

5.      Scramble Low Pair

6.      Scramble Low team

Bonus events

7.      Dirty 7 – Player/team with most sevens

8.      Snowman Player/Team with most 8s

9.      Long Drive

10.  Closest to the pin

Skins

TBA

Season Long Player of the year (Individual)

Categorgies 1-2

Win 30 pts, 2nd 20 pts, 3rd 10 points

Every other category 4-6

Win 60 points, 2nd 40 pts, 3rd 20 points

Longest Drive/Closest to the pin 20 points

Dirty 7/Snowman 5 points

Team of the Year (Team, BB and Scramble combined)

Winning team gets 60

2nd 50

3rd 40

4th 30

5th 20

6th 10

7-end 5pts

Dirty 7/Snowman/Long Drive/ CTP 5 points team

Teams:

Every team has a team captain and min 4

Players without a team or teams without 4 players will be combined

At registration each team must decide if they are playing for best ball or scramble

Formats

Low Scratch

Low Net

Must have HCP

Must be in best ball team

Format 2: Best Ball

Conditions HCP required either through GC or TheGrin

How its played.

Each Tee Time will be made of 2 players from Team A and 2 Players from Team B

How its played: Each player plays their own ball and at the end of every hole the lower of the two scores is counted as the pair score. 

Ex On a hole Player 1 scores a 7 and Player 2 scores a 6 the pair score for that hole is a six. 

Net best ball:  Lets say player 1 has a 5 hcp and player 2 has a 2 hcp

Each player calculates their own handicap scores and the net score for the whole is the lower of the two net scores

Format 3

Scramble

RULES: 1. A scramble means that all team members tee off on each hole and then decide which tee shot they like the best and mark the spot with a tee or ball marker.

2. The other team members pick up their balls and place them within one club length (no closer to the hole) of the marked spot. Each team member hits their next shot from the chosen spot of the prior shot.

3. If the ball you choose to play is in a hazard (sand, water, etc.), the rough, or out of bounds, you cannot drop the ball outside of the hazard or rough even if relief is within one club length away.

4. This procedure is followed on every shot for the remainder of the hole, including putts. The ball should be marked on the putting green also.

5. Putts need to be made within 3 inches of the marked spot (no closer to the hole). The first ball to go in the hole is counted for the team score. When putting, once any ball is holed out, no further strokes count. The team is cautioned not to make “tap” in putts until all team members have had the opportunity to attempt the team’s original putt.

6. Each player’s tee shot must be used at least four times during the 18-hole competition.

7. Men tee off from the white tees and women from the red tees.

WITB

Cobra  Wishon 911 D FMAX 10.5 ,EQ-NX 4W, 7W, 4H/6H, 7-LW

Biomech Acculock Ace Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

I'll try to circle back to this, but folks like @DaveP043 and @jsgolfer and others who are in or run leagues would know better than I would.

@NM Golf, @Club Rat too. 

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 hours ago, Themightyoz said:

the golf tournament series

Seems like a big over kill of formats which would require hours of booking to compile the scoring.
Not to mention, coordinating players for every round, assigning pairings and having an abundance of 
players available for all the different formats.

I've never heard of a "Scramble Low Pair" ???

Also considering how long your season intends to run?
With the many formats you indicate, are you suggesting 4 or 5 months?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

14 hours ago, Themightyoz said:

In an effort to have competitions for golfers who really want to compete and for those who just want a good hack around the course the golf tournament series I am coming up with will have the following formats.  DO you notice any glaring problems with this format.  The idea being it lets more people win something.  

10 hours ago, Club Rat said:

Seems like a big over kill of formats which would require hours of booking to compile the scoring.
Not to mention, coordinating players for every round, assigning pairings and having an abundance of 
players available for all the different formats.

I've never heard of a "Scramble Low Pair" ???

Also considering how long your season intends to run?
With the many formats you indicate, are you suggesting 4 or 5 months?

I agree with @Club Rat, this would take hours to run, set up, do scoring (especially with all of the bonus events and varying formats).  Do you have a stable of 4-6 teams that can play frequently.  We do an event for our group which consists of only 4 groups and it can be like herding cats to get enough to play on a weekly basis and we're all members of the club. 

Will the course do any of the setup for you (LD and Closest to pins)?  I can see issues with playing time with some of the rules, especially during a scramble if you have to mark a tap in while you wait for the other golfers. 

Scrambles although fun, are really not a competition format, people play way too fast and loose with the rules.  I wouldn't want to play in a scramble for money,   And what do you do if you have 4 groups and only one wants to do the scramble?  

This would be a lot of work for whoever is running this.

Edited by jsgolfer
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

As @jsgolfer and @Club Rat both said, I think you're doing too much. A couple formats at most.

18 hours ago, Themightyoz said:

Every tournament will have teams of 4-6

Also you said teams of 4-6, how are you doing a team of 6?

After running golf associations and tournaments for 20+ years, I've found the simpler the better. Having too many things going on just confuses people, and makes the scoring at the end of the day take too long. We used to do a simple points system at my course for a Player of the Year, and even that got complicated. What you've described would literally take hours upon hours to manage.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

19 hours ago, Themightyoz said:

Bonus events

7.      Dirty 7 – Player/team with most sevens

8.      Snowman Player/Team with most 8s

9.      Long Drive

I would not consider these events.

CTP are good, offer two per event.

When you indicate "Tournaments" are you indicating multiple events or a single event?

It sounds more like you are having a season long league.

My suggestions on creating more fun and payouts, would be to have a series of events.
Then payout portions to each series.
Having various formats also generates more interest in the players.

I can suggest a simple scoring application to track your events if you're interested.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

The problem with having a math degree is I don't see things as complicated 😄

But yes I have been talked out of this.  

Cranking it down has anybody ever used the Callaway or Scheid system.  How have those worked for you?

WITB

Cobra  Wishon 911 D FMAX 10.5 ,EQ-NX 4W, 7W, 4H/6H, 7-LW

Biomech Acculock Ace Putter

Note: This thread is 814 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!