IGNORED

I'm Afraid to Use Iron

hoonnirun
Note: This thread is 777 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For the last couple rounds I found myself using 5 hybrid more and more. Yesterday I got my best score of 103, even at distance I can get with 5-6 iron, I op to use 5 hybrid. The problem is I still cannot control distance with hybrid (155-180yds) and the roll, I just swing as far as I can or take it easy with shorter distance.
With 5 or even 6 iron I only occasionally got a good hit even on the fairway, but hybrid even a bad hit I still can manage some yards. I started to hesitate even with my 7 iron.
I am a short driver 180-200 yds so it always left me with longer distance for second shot. 
Should I be looking more into hybrid set?

Hi, just my opinion, I think you need to find a way to practice and learn to hit your irons. It's not at all unreasonable to expect that someone who desires to become a better player learn to hit 5-iron. Especially since you said that even a 7-iron is sometimes a struggle, I think you need to fix that situation rather then changing clubs (to a hybrid set). 

How's your 9-iron? Start there?

Mike

Driver: TM Sim2 9* Ventus Black, M5 9* Kuro Kage
Fwy: TM SLDR 3W, 5W;    Hybrid: TM M1 4 Hybrid
Irons: TM Tour Preferred MC 2014
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred, 52 @ 51*, 56
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 or Odyssey Rossie

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to I'm Afraid to Use Iron

@hoonnirun Congratulations on the personal best!  Hope you have many more to come, and break that 100 mark sometime soon.

As far as controlling distance with the hybrid, try choking down a bit on the grip.  You can then at least have two distances with it, using the same swing (choking down will take roughly 10 yds off your normal distance).

Regarding a hybrid set, what irons are you currently playing?  If you’re already playing some sort of super game improvement set, my opinion is switching to a hybrid set probably won’t have much of an impact.

I do agree with @mohearn that working on the swing itself should be the focus (regardless what type of iron set you play).

Thank you, I also got my first rigid birdie on short par 4, 365 yards. My lucky day I would say 😁😁😁. As far as my set, I’m using Ping G30. I do practice iron all the time and hit them pretty solid at driving range or at home on mat. Once I’m on the course, mentality change I guess. 

If you are willing to invest the money, by all means go ahead and get yourself a hybrid set down till a 7 or 8 iron as necessary.  The only disadvantage to hybrid clubs is they are less versatile than irons, which you can maneuver around to alter ball flight.  In any case, unless you are very high level golfer who needs that flexibility and has that ability, you are better off with GI/SGI/hybrid clubs because you will get more consistent strike and distance.  I now have a 2 and 4 hybrid in my bag and have dropped my 3, 4 and 5 irons, depsite still being able to hit them well, though not as consistently as before. 

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Ping G30 is an excellent set of irons. I think you just need to improve. It took me a few years to be confident hitting a 5i.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I might get 7 hybrid for long par 3 and dump 4i out of my bag. I only carry 5 wood and 5 hybrid so still have room for other club. The only concern I have with hybrid is I’m gonna be able to make it hold on the green. I might have to learn how to layup at 70-100 yards for my PW/GW.

With the G30 irons, I wouldn’t bother replacing with a hybrid set.  They are pretty forgiving irons, a hybrid set wouldn’t really change anything (my opinion).  My oldest daughter has the G le irons, where it switches from irons to hybrid at the 6.  It doesn’t really impact her results either way (it’s a good swing/result or a bad one, regardless of the 7i or 6H).  Whether it’s an iron or hybrid, you still need to make good contact.

Sounds more like finding a way to bring your range results to the course.  That said, it’s a lot easier to forget about bad shots at the range because there is no score to keep.

I’m certainly not trying to talk you out of anything you want to do, just sharing my perspective.  There is something to be had with feeling good over a shot, the confidence.  If adding a mid-hybrid to the bag gives you some of that, at certainly can’t hurt either.

• 3 weeks later...

Congrats on the personal best! Usually any clubs from about 8 iron in can hide issues with the grip because there is more loft on the club. I would maybe talk to somebody about grip. This will immediately help you with the rest of your irons once you get used to it! I say try and improve with the irons! Best of luck!

Keith

Note: This thread is 777 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!