IGNORED

is marihuana a performance enhancer for your golf?

ganjagolfer
Note: This thread is 5858 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
This ruling encompasses more than just the US PGA Tour....European, asian...

Yeah, okay. I'm talking about the PGA Tour, since they've kind of taken the lead in this whole thing. The other Tours are just now kind of glomming on.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As it is an Anti-Doping policy it seems that it would have to include the cheeba. It is debatable that some of the stuff on the list may not be "performance-enhancing". However it is an opportunity for the Tours to ensure the sanctity of the game by assuring that it's players(or most of them) are clean. To answer the original question, I don't believe any of the effects of weed would help anyone's game.
My Bag

Driver: Sumo 460 10.5º Stiff
4 & 7 Woods: T-40 Stiff
Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

OK, I'm all against drugs, whether it is weed, crack, heroin, etc.. I've never touched the stuff and never will. It's kind of required in my line of work

Now, having said that, I do have a story about a friend of mine that relates to this thread. Two friends and I were playing a back-woods track that was out in the sticks. A single caught up with us and we told him to join us. We had been drinking a few beers, but that was about it.

All of a sudden, I walked up to where one of my buddies and the new guy were talking and saw that our new friend had a bag of weed and they were getting ready to smoke some. I got away from them and went over to my other friend who I thought didn't smoke pot. Well, I told him what as going on and he was over there faster than lightning. I just kept my distance and let them do their thing.

Two holes later, the first friend of mine puts his drive way OB and hits another. His second drive is dead straight and about 120 from the pin on a par 4. He hits his next shot a little thin and low. The ball hits the hill in front of the raised green, takes two hops, and goes straight in the hole. He carded a birdie, although he was obviously too high to know the rules

Drunk, high, and two shots to the hole not counting the OB. We still laugh to this day.

In my bag:

Driver: FT-5, 9° stiff
Wood: Big Bertha 3W/5W
Irons: X-20 TourWedges: X Tour 52°/56°Hybrids: Idea Pro 2/3/4Putter: Black Series #2Ball: NXT Extreme/NXT Tour

Two holes later, the first friend of mine puts his drive way OB and hits another. His second drive is dead straight and about 120 from the pin on a par 4. He hits his next shot a little thin and low. The ball hits the hill in front of the raised green, takes two hops, and goes straight in the hole. He carded a birdie, although he was obviously too high to know the rules

Maybe this is why it's banned?

Yes-but if you are encouraging the fans that drinking on a golf course is socially acceptable then why would you screen golfers for marijuana if marijuana is 100 percent safer than alcohol...i dont know if youve ever watched the FBR Open--but the spike in DUI's after the event were dangerous for the local community--you cant say that marijuana is anywhere near as dangerous as alcohol...i dont care if it is illegal or not--the tour is being very hypocritical here by screening for marijuana

I'm pretty new here but everytime I read one of your posts I'm reminded of a quote by the late great Curly Howard:

"I Try to think, but nothing Happens" Pot and golf, never helped my game, but at the time I didn't really care
Driver: R7 425,  3-wood: V-Steel
3H Burner,  4-pw: R9 TP
SW: Vokey, 56-10
Putter: Cameron

I'm pretty new here but everytime I read one of your posts I'm reminded of a quote by the late great Curly Howard:

I found the ignore feature pretty useful

My Bag

Driver: Sumo 460 10.5º Stiff
4 & 7 Woods: T-40 Stiff
Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

OK, I'm all against drugs, whether it is weed, crack, heroin, etc..

How about nicotine, caffeine, alcohol?? Or the eager companies that hand out their prescription drugs??

Or are you only against the "drugs" that the government hasn't found a way to make money on?

In the
AMP Cart Bag
Driver : 3Dx Square Tour 8°
3 Wood : 4DX
2H : Edge CFT TitaniumIrons : M685 3-PWWedges : CG12 Satin 54° and 58°Putter : Odyssey White XG #9 33"Balls : Staff ZIP

No, and i see it didnt enhance your ability to spell either

Marihuana is widely accepted alternative spelling.

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

• Administrator
How about nicotine, caffeine, alcohol?? Or the eager companies that hand out their prescription drugs??

It's against PGA Tour policy to be drunk during an event (even a pro-am) or to be seen drinking alcoholic beverages during an event. That's already covered.

Caffeine isn't covered, but I avoid caffeine when playing golf because it makes you jumpy. Jumpy is bad. Nicotine I think they have a case against... they used to play the Vantage Championship, but did away with it when cigarette companies couldn't sponsor events anymore. The Tour doesn't like people that smoke, and frankly, I wonder if they have a policy against smoking. I've seen them do it on the Euro Tour and in the U.S. Open (Cabrera), but those aren't PGA Tour events. So they may already have a policy against smoking... perhaps similar to the one they have against alcohol. A ban on smoking, of course, isn't the same as a ban on nicotine. Someone could slap on some nicotine patches on the 15th hole as the pressure mounts, I suppose, and people would be none the wiser if he did it in a restroom or something. Still, I don't favor a ban on nicotine, because as disgusting as it is, some guys smoke outside of the golf course, and that's legal. Marijuana isn't.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I meant illegal drugs.

In my bag:

Driver: FT-5, 9° stiff
Wood: Big Bertha 3W/5W
Irons: X-20 TourWedges: X Tour 52°/56°Hybrids: Idea Pro 2/3/4Putter: Black Series #2Ball: NXT Extreme/NXT Tour

I go on an annual golf trip with some buddies and almost all of them get stoned. I don't anymore. It has been almost 16 years since the last time I did. I don't care that they do and I don't judge them for doing it. In fact, I am usually pretty happy when they do, because the chances of me taking their money just increased.

The whole weed vs. alcohol argument is ridiculous. Until weed is legal, there is no comparison. Just like drinking, one or two hits might just relax you like a couple beers. Also just like drinking it's about how much. The effects are similar. Impaired decision making, slower reactions, reduced coordination, etc. There is a reason that you hear about more DUI's than driving while using drugs. More people drink than get stoned.

The PGA Tour was smart to put it on the banned list. The NBA and NFL had to deal with a slippery slope when guys were using but it technically was not against the rules even though it was against the law. Same thing with baseball and steroids. Bonds and some others were using, but they were only illegal, not against the rules. Unless they can prove that Bonds was using when he broke all the records, it hurts to even say this, he is the home run king. Since he technically was not breaking any rules. He was just breaking the law. The safest thing for them to do is just say if it's illegal, it's banned. If they don't put it on the list then someone is going to say that they must support the use of illegal drugs. It really is no different than a company that requires employees to undergo random drug screening.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

• Administrator
why is it necessary to take steroids to play baseball?...isn't it a bit like rounders for big boys??..lol

I'm going to assume you're joking, because the benefits of taking steroids to play golf are pretty well known (and easily guessed).

People who take steroids for a long period of time on a regular basis frequently die of liver disease.

Well, i understand that steroids help to promote muscle mass and development, but im not sure if they help to promote strength? The main benefit is for working out im told- you can go for longer. But intelligent athletes know how to manipulate the system, they take the drug, they know when the tests are, and by the time they come around theres no evidence of the chemical in the body. I'm sure this goes on (but don't quote me).

Anyway, its obvious to me when people are on steroids- look out for acne and bad skin, and increased/unexplained bulkiness in upper body.

I'm going to assume you're joking, because the benefits of taking steroids to play golf are pretty well known (and easily guessed).

I was going to say the same thing until I saw this.

People who take steroids for a long period of time on a regular basis frequently die of liver disease.

I am not going to recap everything that was discussed in the other thread, but needless to say we had a long discussion here about this very topic. Steroids and HGH could help a golfer in multiple ways. Faster recovery, ability to train harder and longer, more strength, speed and power. This will not make a bad golfer a tour pro, but it could help a guy at 150 on the money list get to 120 or a guy at 50 get to the top 30. Look at Tiger. The guy is an incredible athlete. He is strong, fit and built like few others before him in the game. He works incredibly hard and trains like an athlete. He has raised the bar to an all new level. There are a lot of guys that would love to do what he does and may not have the natural ability or work ethic he does. There are ways to cut corners.

Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

Note: This thread is 5858 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!