IGNORED

GEARS Video (by Request): Toe and Heel Mishits

iacas
Note: This thread is 805 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

How's this, @Ty_Webb?

We could have thrown a lot more light on the ball to ramp up the shutter speed, but it's already about 1/1000th of a second so it may have taken a LOT of light, and I'm not sure it's necessary given the toe strike you'll see in this video. You can still pretty plainly see that the GEARS is pretty representative of what is actually happening.

• Like 1
  • Informative 4

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to GEARS Video (by Request): Toe and Heel Mishits

Toe shank. I wouldn’t know anything about that :whistle:

• Funny 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Wow! Thank you for putting this together. Mind blowing!

One question - did the club twist in his hands when these happened? 

Edited by Ty_Webb

• Administrator
Just now, Ty_Webb said:

Wow! Thank you for putting this together. Mind blowing!

One question - did the club twist in his hands when these happened? 

I'll ask him.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

When I made contact with the ball I definitely felt the impact out on the toe/ heel try to turn my hands. The grip did not turn in my hands the clubface just reflected open with the toe hit and closed with the heel hit. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Whoa, that’s so cool to see. I hit off the toe a lot (more often in low light) and it really F’s up the skin on my right hand middle finger. Always wondered why, I think that twisting explains it, there’s got to be some force on the grip from that.

Does the face opening/closing like that on toe/heel strikes have any significant impact on ball flight?

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

Does the face opening/closing like that on toe/heel strikes have any significant impact on ball flight?

Of course. And ball speed.

18 minutes ago, iacas said:

Of course. And ball speed.

Thanks. Ball speed makes sense and it’s observable for me on Mevo and now Mevo+; it’s clearly reduced compared to a solid strike for toe hits. Wasn’t certain on curve because I had no clue whether or not the ball stays in contact during the face twist long enough to noticeably change curve.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

Thanks. Ball speed makes sense and it’s observable for me on Mevo and now Mevo+; it’s clearly reduced compared to a solid strike for toe hits. Wasn’t certain on curve because I had no clue whether or not the ball stays in contact during the face twist long enough to noticeably change curve.

It'll push and have more of a draw tilt (assuming the fade tilt wasn't too much). Gear effect still applies to irons, just less than with driver.

• Like 1

Note: This thread is 805 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!