IGNORED

Are hybrids even workable?

Note: This thread is 5873 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I didn't know if this should be in the equipment section or here... Or if this is even a dumb question... but...

So i finally got my set up for this year... After going through like 4 different sets of clubs, hybrids, drivers... still trying to find a 3 wood however..

So I've got ping G5 19 and 22 degree hybrids. Today i was playing where there were lots of doglegs and trees so i was trying to get some fade and draw on my hybrid shots and just couldnt seem to do it correctly... I can do a slice on purpose but its not accurate or reliable.

Any ideas?

I didn't know if this should be in the equipment section or here... Or if this is even a dumb question... but...

That's a lot of peoples problem with hybrids is that they're not as workable as irons. I'm pretty sure you can hit fades and draws with them though so chances are

you're doing something wrong
âI'm glad I brought this course, this monster, to its knees.â

some have a more rounded face than others... ones with flatter face are more workable generally. The Adams Idea Pros that I carry ARE workable, although less so than an iron. I think the iron-like ones are generally more workable than wood-like ones.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

Yes they are, you just need to find the right one. I couldn't hit a fade with a few of them, the offset seemed to be a problem. I hit the Cobra Baffler Pro which has less offset than most and found it to be very workable, of course that isn't saying I could control it, but I could hit the fade or hook easier with the cobra
My Bag

Driver: Sumo 460 10.5º Stiff
4 & 7 Woods: T-40 Stiff
Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

I think they are. I actually feel like I have better control with my hybrid sometimes than a iron. It does depend on the brand and how it suit's you though I think.

I had a Callaway Fusion Hybrid from last year and hated it. I only could hit it straight and felt like I had no control with it. I love my Ping Rapture which I can work pretty good.

In my SX76 StaDry
Woods: G15 9.0° BB Stiff, G10 14°
Hybrids: i15 20°, Rapture 24°
Irons: AP2 5-PW
Wedges: SM Vokey 51°, 56°, 60° Putter: Circa '62 No. 2 (Gun Metal Blue) Ball: ProV1

yes they are--ive hit the nike sumo square hybrid--and couldnt move the ball at all..very very forgiving...but then a club like the TaylorMade Rescue Mid--you can really work the ball with...i just think it comes down to the shape of the hybrid IMO

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

The question of whether or not a hybrid is "workable" does not depend on the club. Any club is workable, the question is the skill level of the player. Depending on the club it may have a draw or fade bias however hitting an intentional fade or draw successfully with any club takes skill no matter what club. Being able to hit a "slice" is a lot easier than being able to play a 5 yard cut/fade.
Northeastern University Golf Team

In Play:
Driver - Titleist 905R 9.5*/Aldila NV 75sFairway Wood - Titleist 904f 14.5*Dynamic Gold S300Hybrid - Cleveland Halo 2Iron(19*)Irons - Titleist 735cm(stainless)/Dynamic Gold S300 (Bent +0.5 degrees upright, +1.0 degrees strong) Wedges - Callaway...

some have a more rounded face than others... ones with flatter face are more workable generally. The Adams Idea Pros that I carry ARE workable, although less so than an iron. I think the iron-like ones are generally more workable than wood-like ones.

you hybrids are the most workable of all, or at least thats what I hear.

The 18 degree Cobra Baffler pro I use is very workable, even from the rough which is rare for a hybrid. Im able to swing down and through with it just like any other iron. Hitting a fade is very easy, though I dont hit fades unless im moving around an obsticle. I would say its more workable than a regular 2i because it is much easier to hit..lol.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

The 18 degree Cobra Baffler pro I use is very workable, even from the rough which is rare for a hybrid. Im able to swing down and through with it just like any other iron. Hitting a fade is very easy, though I dont hit fades unless im moving around an obsticle. I would say its more workable than a regular 2i because it is much easier to hit..lol.

I also hear good things about the baffler. I am trying it out tommorow so i'll post my thoughts here.

I also hear good things about the baffler. I am trying it out tommorow so i'll post my thoughts here.

I think you will like it, you can really feel the compression of the ball with those things on a well struck shot. Its a cool feeling. There is a DWS version that is offset and draw biased, and a pro version that is more neutral with little offset. The pro version is the one I use.

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Halo's are workable as well...

But then again, I went to Hybrids to hit my longer irons straighter so I guess I'm in a different boat.
In My Bag:

Taylormade: Superquad 9.5 Aldila VS Proto 'By You' 70-S
Sonartec: SS-07 14.0 Aldila NV 85-S
Cleveland: Halo, 3i UST Irod 83-SPing: i-10 4-UW AWT-STitleist: Vokey Design Spin Milled 54.10 & 60.08Slighter: Handstamped Tacoma, 350G in Black Satin w/Sound Slot

yes they are--ive hit the nike sumo square hybrid--and couldnt move the ball at all..very very forgiving...but then a club like the TaylorMade Rescue Mid--you can really work the ball with...i just think it comes down to the shape of the hybrid IMO

yes i second that - the TM Rescue Mid is excellent for shaping it. The reason I won't change it - had it 4/5 years. Any Titleist utility i've hit has been the same. Hit a Ping a couple years ago and was harder to shape.

WEAPONS:
Taylormade R9 10.5 L Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 15 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 19 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade Tour Preferred 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 51Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 55Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 59Yes! Tracy II putterTitleist...

Note: This thread is 5873 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!