IGNORED

Anyone Playing a Combo Set With Duplicate Iron Numbers

Note: This thread is 755 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

New member, first post. Have been gaming a set of Snake Eyes 600Bs for around a decade. Recently bit by the players distance iron bug. Have been doing some research, narrowing my list to around 5 models/brands. But the more I think about it, the more I question whether I want to abandon my 600Bs. They're just so pure and consistent. Albeit maybe not as forgiving as current tech.

Gonna head to Golf Galaxy tomorrow to try a few of the irons on my list. Ahead of that I'm thinking to maybe target combo-ing my 600Bs with something else in the longer irons. Combos aren't uncommon. But the issue I see is that this could leave me with an undesirable distance gap at the transition point. 

So, has anyone gone a similar route and doubled-up on an iron?

Thinking if I were to experiment with this route, I would transition at the 6 iron (4-6i in the new, 6i-PW with my 600Bs). Currently play my set in 3i-PW. So I wouldn't have to lose any other clubs to accommodate this approach. 

FWIW my current irons are gapped in 10 yd increments. With my 7i at 170-175 yds (36 degrees of loft). Although as I get into the 3-5 irons my distance stretches a bit. The downside is that the 3 and 4 irons are not quite as easy to hit consistently as pure. Especially now that I don't play as much these days. 

Ultimately, this may all go out the window tomorrow. I have high hopes for the Mizuno Pro 221s as a possible full on set replacement. While not crazy strong like most of the players distance irons, they do come in 2-3 degrees stronger when compared across my current set. I'm definitely eager to see if current blades have improved much over the years. Considering the 600Bs were probably 5 years ahead of their time in respect to the forging process.

TL;DR - Considering a combo of blades and forged hollow body irons. Concerned about the distance gap at the transition point. Considering doubling up on a 6 iron to accommodate. Thoughts?

TaylorMade Sim Max 9° - Fujikura Ventus Blue / Rombax
Callaway X-Hot Pro 15° - Project X 6.0
Snake Eyes 600B 3-PW - Dynamic Gold s300
Snake Eyes 685BX Fluid Forged 52°, 56°, 60° - Dynamic Gold s300
Snake Eyes MSC1 / Golfsmith NCC - 1701
Maxfli Tour X

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The number is just a number. The distance gap is the important factor. Just make sure you can tell the difference between let’s say the two 6 irons.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

9 hours ago, DoubleAce said:

New member, first post. Have been gaming a set of Snake Eyes 600Bs for around a decade. Recently bit by the players distance iron bug. Have been doing some research, narrowing my list to around 5 models/brands. But the more I think about it, the more I question whether I want to abandon my 600Bs. They're just so pure and consistent. Albeit maybe not as forgiving as current tech.

Gonna head to Golf Galaxy tomorrow to try a few of the irons on my list. Ahead of that I'm thinking to maybe target combo-ing my 600Bs with something else in the longer irons. Combos aren't uncommon. But the issue I see is that this could leave me with an undesirable distance gap at the transition point. 

So, has anyone gone a similar route and doubled-up on an iron?

Thinking if I were to experiment with this route, I would transition at the 6 iron (4-6i in the new, 6i-PW with my 600Bs). Currently play my set in 3i-PW. So I wouldn't have to lose any other clubs to accommodate this approach. 

FWIW my current irons are gapped in 10 yd increments. With my 7i at 170-175 yds (36 degrees of loft). Although as I get into the 3-5 irons my distance stretches a bit. The downside is that the 3 and 4 irons are not quite as easy to hit consistently as pure. Especially now that I don't play as much these days. 

Ultimately, this may all go out the window tomorrow. I have high hopes for the Mizuno Pro 221s as a possible full on set replacement. While not crazy strong like most of the players distance irons, they do come in 2-3 degrees stronger when compared across my current set. I'm definitely eager to see if current blades have improved much over the years. Considering the 600Bs were probably 5 years ahead of their time in respect to the forging process.

TL;DR - Considering a combo of blades and forged hollow body irons. Concerned about the distance gap at the transition point. Considering doubling up on a 6 iron to accommodate. Thoughts?

I am not currently but I have done it. 
I have (2) 6-irons and (2) 5-irons. I have traditional iron-looking ones and hybridy-looking ones as well. Sometimes I'll put the 5 or the 6 irons in their with their hybridy counterparts. I am forever changing out the top end of my bag depending on everything from course conditions to my mood. I have 17 clubs and carry 14 so the mix can vary a lot from pretty traditional to pretty non-traditional. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

4 hours ago, boogielicious said:

The number is just a number. The distance gap is the important factor. Just make sure you can tell the difference between let’s say the two 6 irons.

That was my thought. With how strong lofts have become, the actual number stamped on a club is kind of meaningless. 

I'm fairly confident I wouldn't run into issues with confusing the two. Looked at a couple of irons on my list the other day. Holy top lines, lol! In spite of all the reviews and talk about how these new hollow body designs can look like a players club. I'm just not seeing it. Was particularly disappointed with how chunky the P790 and P770s looked. The best looking were probably the Mizuno 223, Titleist T100, and Callaway Apex Pro. But still easily distinguishable from my current set.

2 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I am not currently but I have done it. 
I have (2) 6-irons and (2) 5-irons. I have traditional iron-looking ones and hybridy-looking ones as well. Sometimes I'll put the 5 or the 6 irons in their with their hybridy counterparts. I am forever changing out the top end of my bag depending on everything from course conditions to my mood. I have 17 clubs and carry 14 so the mix can vary a lot from pretty traditional to pretty non-traditional. 

Good to know this wasn't a completely wild idea on my part. The more I consider it, the more enticing this route becomes. Scratch the distance iron itch. Save some cash. And keep my beloved 600Bs largely intact. 

Maxfli Tour X

Got to hit most of the models on my list today. The Apex pros were OK, but a little underwhelming on the feel. Didn't care for the TM 790s/770s either (felt even more "clicky" than the Apex Pro).

Think if I were to go with a new set it'd be the Mizuno Pro 221s. They actually felt a little "hotter" than the 223s. They're still a true blade, were a hair longer than my 600Bs, and a bit more forgiving. Probably should have tried the 225s, but I can do that next time I'm in. All in all, the Mizunos were the best at maintaining my standard shot shape (slight draw). And they kept my spin rates reasonable. 

Surprise of the day was the Rouge ST Pro. Oddly enough they felt the best outside of the Mizuno 221 and 223. And they were quite a bit longer. Due to being a hotter face and having significantly less loft. Didn't look bad at address, but the offset was a killer for me. Especially since I play a draw.

Guess the good news is that my old standby 600Bs still hold up well against current tech. None of the models I hit were as nice in terms of feel. But the Mizuno 221 was close. Ultimately think my combo plan will be the way to go. As I really don't see much advantage to replacing anything but the longest irons in my set.

Maxfli Tour X

31 minutes ago, DoubleAce said:

Got to hit most of the models on my list today. The Apex pros were OK, but a little underwhelming on the feel. Didn't care for the TM 790s/770s either (felt even more "clicky" than the Apex Pro).

Think if I were to go with a new set it'd be the Mizuno Pro 221s. They actually felt a little "hotter" than the 223s. They're still a true blade, were a hair longer than my 600Bs, and a bit more forgiving. Probably should have tried the 225s, but I can do that next time I'm in. All in all, the Mizunos were the best at maintaining my standard shot shape (slight draw). And they kept my spin rates reasonable. 

Surprise of the day was the Rouge ST Pro. Oddly enough they felt the best outside of the Mizuno 221 and 223. And they were quite a bit longer. Due to being a hotter face and having significantly less loft. Didn't look bad at address, but the offset was a killer for me. Especially since I play a draw.

Guess the good news is that my old standby 600Bs still hold up well against current tech. None of the models I hit were as nice in terms of feel. But the Mizuno 221 was close. Ultimately think my combo plan will be the way to go. As I really don't see much advantage to replacing anything but the longest irons in my set.

With your comfort in blades, perhaps you should give the Titleist 620MB irons a go. Can’t get much purer than those babies. I just ordered a set to have the experience and love their looks. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

4 hours ago, Vinsk said:

With your comfort in blades, perhaps you should give the Titleist 620MB irons a go. Can’t get much purer than those babies. I just ordered a set to have the experience and love their looks. 

I'll ask to hit those when I'm back in there later this week. I don't know what it is about Titleist blades of old, but I just didn't care for them (as much as alternatives). Those 620MBs look really nice though.

Maxfli Tour X

On 3/30/2022 at 7:08 AM, boogielicious said:

Pretty much this. 

Most companies now make combo sets anyways. You could just talk with the company you want to get golf clubs from and see how they can mix and match. As long as you get a consistent flight, with a good yardage gap, the # doesn't matter. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 755 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!