IGNORED

Golf Scoring Question

I have seen videos on youtube where a "team" plays a hole and golfer 1 shoots par, golfer 2 shoots par, golfer 3 shoots birdie, golfer 4 shoots birdie for that hole and it counts as -2 for that hole.

anyone know what format/scoring system that is?

google just doesnt understand what i am trying to search for.

TIA

On 5/13/2022 at 11:52 AM, scottyironhead said:

I have seen videos on youtube where a "team" plays a hole and golfer 1 shoots par, golfer 2 shoots par, golfer 3 shoots birdie, golfer 4 shoots birdie for that hole and it counts as -2 for that hole.

anyone know what format/scoring system that is?

google just doesnt understand what i am trying to search for.

TIA

Seems like a modified Best Ball where you sum the scores for the team.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)

I've never seen it, but it sounds like it would simply be team stroke play. 4 players playing a par 4, so par is essentially 16 for the team. three bogies and one birdie means the team shot a two-over 18. 

Edited by Indy-Archer

8 hours ago, Indy-Archer said:

I've never seen it, but it sounds like it would simply be team stroke play. 4 players playing a par 4, so par is essentially 16 for the team. three bogies and one birdie means the team shot a two-over 18. 

I agree, it sounds like a team total score thing.  In this case, I'd suggest that the players are individual stroke play participants, not a "side", and so would not be allowed to give advice to one another, but the organizers might define it differently.  See Rule 24 for more about Team Competitions.

I'm not sure about that one, but my club has done 1-2-3 tournaments, where you have a team of four, and the best (typically net) score among the players is the team's score for hole one, the two best for hole two, the three best for hole three, and then back to the best for the first.  They might be doing some variation of this?

We play a format like this all the time. It's a four-man two best ball. Basically, you have four man teams and the two lowest scores count as the team score. I'm headed up for my golf trip here in a couple weeks and we do an ABCD version of this for the 4 rounds we play. The one thing we change is we count all birdies, so if three guys on the team make birdie the team score is -3. 

~ Low Ball - Aggregate

This game is a variation on Low Ball – High Ball and again keeps both players involved in the hole as both scores will matter.

The format is that you first compare the low balls on each team to determine the winning team for the 1st point of the hole. The 2nd point on each hole is determined by adding together the scores of both players on each team and the low aggregate takes that 2nd point.

For example – you and your partner score a 4 and a 7, and your opponents both score two 5’s, then your team gets the 1st point for your 4 beating their 5, but their team gets the 2nd point for their total score of 10 (5+5) beating your team total of 11(4+7).

This format can be played either Match Play or Stroke Play.
I like that ball scores count and requires all players to compete equally.
Most 2 Man events are a simple Low Net Ball of the team.
Granted, one player can play poorly and the other play very well and a team will win.
I find high handicappers will usually win this format more frequently.
They will serve up a "Ham & Egg Special" and clobber opponents!!!
The format doesn't appeal to me when one player can play poorly and have a partner win a match.
IMO, a Two Man Team event with the best combined scores should win...

• Thumbs Up 1