IGNORED

Things That Make Watching Golf on TV More or Less Enjoyable

WilliamB

I remember seeing a study years ago where they determined golf had plenty of action time. Maybe even the most? That would obviously consider the ball in flight. I personally love watching how each player sets up and what type of waggle they have, but that probably makes me a minority. 

But, they probably do talk too much. At least during the action for sure. It's probably something the producers suggest to keep the audience engaged, since nobody can get their heads out of media these days, including me.

The shot tracker certainly helped the viewing experience. But I can't impress my dad anymore by telling him something like "oh, he wiped that" because I could tell from the swing. Now he knows immediately as well.

"Witty golf quote."

13 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

But isn’t that true for other sports where there are time breaks like football and baseball? Lots of commentary to fill the void. Hockey and basketball are less because of the flow of the game.

But with dozens of guys on the course most of the time, there is always something they could be showing....its not necessary to fill down time with commentary when it could be filled with other guys playing golf

• Thumbs Up 2

-Eric

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Give the lesser knowns on the tour some decent air time, not just the featured group(s). There are players that put together really good rounds and instead of seeing them in action we get to watch the featured group play ho-hum with endless dribble by the commentators.  Granted the guys are watching monitors around the course and can only comment on what is being fed them.  I really like watching ESPN coverage on Thurs and Fri - seems to be less commercials and more golf.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

9 hours ago, Friz said:

But with dozens of guys on the course most of the time, there is always something they could be showing....its not necessary to fill down time with commentary when it could be filled with other guys playing golf

True, but even when they decide to focus on a shot, it can still take 20-30 seconds for the player to execute. The broadcast likes to include the player picking a club and setting up. If they take too long, sometimes they cut away, sometimes they don’t. I’m not saying I prefer it. 

Personally, I would love to see more shots, less putting. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

10 hours ago, Friz said:

I'm with you. I never want to "see" the commentators talking if at all possible, show me somebody hitting a shot.

On 6/19/2022 at 5:53 PM, nevets88 said:

Multiple feeds. Multiple smartphones and tablets to keep watching while the ads and announcers gab. 

I totally agree. I really like watching the Masters on 3 screens. Normally I have Amen Corner, Featured Groups as my baseline on two of the screens. Then I have at least one other feed. I'm often bouncing around on the 3rd screen between different stuff. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with.