IGNORED

Putting

MississippiSteve

• Administrator
19 minutes ago, MississippiSteve said:

What’s everyone’s thoughts/opinions on getting fitted for a putter and even putting lessons? I’m looking to improve my putting.. hit 9 out of 9 GIR and not a single birdie…

From what distances?

If you're hitting them to 35 feet… odds weren't necessarily in your favor to get a birdie.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

27 minutes ago, MississippiSteve said:

What’s everyone’s thoughts/opinions on getting fitted for a putter and even putting lessons? I’m looking to improve my putting.. hit 9 out of 9 GIR and not a single birdie…

I must ask.  What was the distance of each first putt?   Maybe your expectations for making putts are extremely high.   The professionals make about 50% from 8', amateurs less.   I've attached a chart from 2018.   I don't believe it has changed much since.

If you are having trouble putting, try rolling a putt the distance of a "yard" stick.    

Search the forum for putting tips, bead, read and speed.  

Edited by iacas
used image we already have
  • Like 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I will start keeping up with it and report back.. I’m playing on small greens so it’s rare to have many putts over 20-30 ft… I would guess avg 10-15 feet starting point.. I would just expect a few more to fall than they are… I have very few three putts so my distance control is good, it’s just getting them birdie putts to fall.. I’ll say this, the exact same birdie putt for par I’ll make 70% of the time! 

• Funny 1

• Administrator
1 minute ago, MississippiSteve said:

I would guess avg 10-15 feet starting point.. 

Wow, unlikely:

pgatour_fb.jpg

Strokes Gained | Greens in Regulation | Accuracy from Fairway | Accuracy from Rough | Scoring | Going for it | Holeouts, Other
pgatour_fb.jpg

Strokes Gained | Greens in Regulation | Accuracy from Fairway | Accuracy from Rough | Scoring | Going for it | Holeouts, Other

The average distance the ball comes to rest from the hole (in feet) when a player's approach is hit from a distance greater than or equal to 125 yards and less than 150 yards. The approach shot distance must be determined by a laser, and it must originate from the fairway (or the tee box on a par 3).

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

27 minutes ago, iacas said:

Wow, unlikely:

pgatour_fb.jpg

pgatour_fb.jpg

The average distance the ball comes to rest from the hole (in feet) when a player's approach is hit from a distance greater than or equal to 125 yards and less than 150 yards. The approach shot distance must be determined by a laser, and it must originate from the fairway (or the tee box on a par 3).

My home course plays less than 6k yards.. the avg approach shot is around 50yd or less.. the greens are very small in size..

4 minutes ago, MississippiSteve said:

My home course plays less than 6k yards.. the avg approach shot is around 50yd or less.. the greens are very small in size..

Is this an executive course?

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator

Okay, then … which is off: read or bead?

33 minutes ago, iacas said:

Okay, then … which is off: read or bead?

Man I really don’t know.. most of our greens are relatively flat so I’m gonna say the bead is off.. I feel pretty good about picking a line but I think consistently rolling it on that line may be my problem. 

• Administrator

Do you pick a very specific point or are you just putting into a fairly large area?

9 hours ago, MississippiSteve said:

I’ll say this, the exact same birdie putt for par I’ll make 70% of the time! 

Without stats you're just guessing. And your guess is very likely wrong. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Do you pick a very specific point or are you just putting into a fairly large area?

I typically will pick out a spot on my line and hit to that.. After I get my line I mainly will focus on that spot and not so much the hole.. 

1 hour ago, klineka said:

Without stats you're just guessing. And your guess is very likely wrong. 

What all stats do you try to gather for putting? Distance from hole on first putt? What else?

5 minutes ago, MississippiSteve said:

What all stats do you try to gather for putting? Distance from hole on first putt? What else?

I mean you're the one claiming when faced with the exact same putt for par vs birdie you'll make the par put 70% of the time so you tell me what stats you keep to back up that claim.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

9 minutes ago, klineka said:

I mean you're the one claiming when faced with the exact same putt for par vs birdie you'll make the par put 70% of the time so you tell me what stats you keep to back up that claim.

Obviously it was not meant literal but figuratively to imply part of my problem could be mental 

Back to your original question.

My thoughts on getting fitted for a putter are: YES, you should do so. If you are in the market for a new putter. You are likely to spend at least 200 bucks and might spend 500 or even more. A putter should last you a lifetime, okay at least a long time. The point is, why wouldn't you get fit for it? @iacas fit me for a putter back in early 2019, and I've been more than happy with it and have no plans to change it any time soon. It might be the only truly secure club in my bag. Everything else could get replaced at almost any moment if something shiny catches my eye. 

In terms of a putting lesson. Again, why wouldn't you get one? If you are getting lessons anyway, it only makes sense to also get lessons on putting. Having said that, (as I'm sure you know) the best way to improve your putting is hit the ball closer to the hole.

Similarly, if you want to work on your putting, you can start today. 

Go here:

Day 8, 11, and 15 are all great putting practice. For my money, day 15 is the pick of the litter, but you can decide that for yourself. 

Good luck. 

Edited by ChetlovesMer
type-o
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

8 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Back to your original question.

My thoughts on getting fitted for a putter are: YES, you should do so. If you are in the market for a new putter. You are likely to spend at least 200 bucks and might spend 500 or even more. A putter should last you a lifetime, okay at least a long time. The point is, why wouldn't you get fit for it? @iacas fit me for a putter back in early 2019, and I've been more than happy with it and have no plans to change it any time soon. It might be the only truly secure club in my bag. Everything else could get replaced at almost any moment if something shiny catches my eye. 

In terms of a putting lesson. Again, why wouldn't you get one? If you are getting lessons anyway, it only makes sense to also get lessons on putting. Having said that, (as I'm sure you know) the best way to improve your putting is hit the ball closer to the hole.

Similarly, if you want to work on your putting, you can start today. 

Go here:

Day 8, 11, and 15 are all great putting practice. For my money, day 15 is the pick of the litter, but you can decide that for yourself. 

Good luck. 

Awesome, thanks for sharing!

do you use a line on your ball to align putts?  and if so, do you feel confident in your ability to roll that line when putting?  at the very least, this could determine whether you're missing putts because of an inconsistent putting stroke, or the read is just off.

I for one need to get way better at reading greens, but feel pretty good about my ability to keep the ball on my intended line.  So any putting stroke I'm making is generally pick my line and roll that line, so when I'm making the stroke I'm mainly focused on trying to get the correct speed.

• Thumbs Up 1

-Eric