IGNORED

Updated OWGR Algorithm

iacas

• Administrator

The title doesn't say it, but this is a link to an article about the newly revised updates to the world ranking algorithm.

android-chrome-512x512.png?w=300&h=200&f

ELIGIBLE TOURS. OFFICIAL WORLD GOLF RANKING FOUNDERS. STAY IN TOUCH. © 2022 - OFFICIAL WORLD GOLF RANKING.

The Governing Board of the Official World Golf Ranking (OWGR) today announces that the enhancements to OWGR's system revealed in August of 2021 are now in effect after a 12-month notice period. 

The updated system incorporates modern statistical techniques, which allows players and eligible tournaments to be more accurately evaluated relative to each other.

Basically:

• Ranking points will be distributed to all players making the cut.
  • Statistical evaluation of everyone in the field rather than just Top-200 players will factor into the calculation for field strength.
  • Majors will still award 100 points and the Players Championship 80. All others will award OWGR points based on the strength and depth of fields, with a max of 80 first-place points.
  • All future tournaments will use the updated system with no recalculation of past events. The impact of the new calculation will be gradual.

https://assets-us-01.kc-usercontent.com/00be6aeb-6ab1-00f0-f77a-4c8f38e69314/5d9ad351-661a-41b8-8170-0bea66b92e7a/OWGR - Modified System Information - FINAL.pdf

For those on the Euro Tour who have benefitted by manipulating rankings a bit… this may put an end to it:

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

Considering the old "Is the Players a Major?" conversations that happen every year, I wonder if the muckety-mucks at the PGA TOUR are miffed that with such a strong field, stronger than the Masters IIRC, that the Players gets 80 and all Majors get 100.

—Adam

• Administrator
7 hours ago, imsys0042 said:

Considering the old "Is the Players a Major?" conversations that happen every year, I wonder if the muckety-mucks at the PGA TOUR are miffed that with such a strong field, stronger than the Masters IIRC, that the Players gets 80 and all Majors get 100.

Maybe but that’s no different in the new system.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 1 month later...

Good ole Justine Reed, married to the man with the most punchable face in golf, posted a video where two people are making the argument that this hoses the rest of the world.  Much like the tweet from above about the difference between the FedEx event vs. the DP Tour event.   That’s an extreme example though.

If the argument is, correctly I believe, that strength of field is very important and will factor to the number of points then how much of a change is this going to have on the rest of the world outside the US?  And to a lesser extent the DP World Tour?

I like the addition of total field, instead of top 200.

—Adam

• 4 weeks later...

‘ Doing away with a minimum number of points for an event is good change. It does away with “good” pros playing in weak events and receiving an outsized amount of points.

Of course how different tours and the Majors use the OWGR is up to them. As an example, the PGAT has rules about eligibility for its tour; one of its rules is maintaining an OWGR rating of a certain number. If a player does not maintain that rating, he is off the Tour and back to a developmental tour. The Saudi Tour has decided not to use OWGR points to determine who can play on its tour; presumably Greg Norman has an arbitrary process for Saudi Tour qualification. The two tour’s systems of eligibility are different but that’s okay. The PGAT has its rules of eligibility and the Saudi Tour has  its process of eligibility.

The OWGR issue is really about eligibility for the majors. Currently, the majors has exemptions for the top 50 or 60, as OWGR ranked, unless otherwise exempted. Some of the Saudi Tour players, based upon past performance, will be eligible to play in all of the majors (Dustin Johnson, DeChambeau, cam Smith, etc.). However, some of the Saudi Tour players may not be eligible (Ancer, T Gooch, HV3).

Personally, I don’t feel bad for these players because they knew going in that they would not get OWGR points and opted for guaranteed money instead. Fine. Maybe if I were a good player in my late 20s or in my 30s, knowing that my game was just not really good enough to win at the majors level, I’d take the cash too. I mean are you really going to have a legacy? Older players like Mickelson, Westwood, Poulter should take the cash because competing in the majors is behind them, so no loss. For the young players that go to the Saudi Tour, guaranteed money is hard to resist. The pathway to the PGAT is hard. Hundreds, maybe thousands, of players are competing for a relatively limited number of spots. Of course, how many available spots on the Saudi Tour are available? 48 maximum players, with who knows have guaranteed spots for years into the future regardless of performance. A young player probably has a better chance of getting invited to play for the Saudis by being a social media influencer than a top flight amateur.

The Saudi players’ complaints about the OWGR system is crap. The system and rules have been around for decades. The Saudi Tour choose not to meet the OWGR criteria for ratings and now they want the rest of the golf world to change for its 48 member tour and retroactively to boot. That’s crap. They took the money to play for the Saudis, fine, but stop crying about their own choices.

Driver - Callaway Razr

3-wood - TM Stealth

7-wood - Titleist 

Irons - 5 through PW, Epon 503

Vokey Wedges

Putter - Odyssey TriHot 2

• Administrator
26 minutes ago, hunterdog said:

As an example, the PGAT has rules about eligibility for its tour; one of its rules is maintaining an OWGR rating of a certain number. If a player does not maintain that rating, he is off the Tour and back to a developmental tour.

?????

11 hours ago, iacas said:

?????

In 2022, PGAT  grants Tour card based on FedEx points not OWGR points (my mistake).  Currently #126, unless otherwise exempted, does not get a Tour card but does get a chance to play in the KFT finals and has chance to qualify for Tour if finishes in top 25. 
But the point remains, the Tour has a set of rules regarding eligibility. So do the majors. So does the DPWorld Tour. And, currently, the majors uses OWGR as one way to earn an exemption into that event. 

Driver - Callaway Razr

3-wood - TM Stealth

7-wood - Titleist 

Irons - 5 through PW, Epon 503

Vokey Wedges

Putter - Odyssey TriHot 2

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, hunterdog said:

my mistake

Okay. I was questioning (the "????") the part I quoted because it was wrong.

I'm not sure what your point is. It seems like you're just stating a fact about the way things are. So what point are you trying to make?

Has anyone used these newer OWGR rules to calculate how many OWGR points the Saudi Tour events would be worth? I'd be totally in favor of granting the ST points just so we could laugh at them still never qualifying for a major once their PGA earned points and exemptions run out. But is the system actually well enough designed such that a tournament with 48 players, no cut, three rounds, and a field of 12 real players and a bunch of 3rd tier minor leaguers gives like 3 points to the winner?

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

On 10/17/2022 at 7:26 PM, mdl said:

Has anyone used these newer OWGR rules to calculate how many OWGR points the Saudi Tour events would be worth? I'd be totally in favor of granting the ST points just so we could laugh at them still never qualifying for a major once their PGA earned points and exemptions run out. But is the system actually well enough designed such that a tournament with 48 players, no cut, three rounds, and a field of 12 real players and a bunch of 3rd tier minor leaguers gives like 3 points to the winner?

I've said that a couple of times, I'm surprised that they don't "concede" the not recognizing the events and go ahead and decide that 54 hole events are only worth 75% of a 72 hole event, and no cut should have another hair trim of say 15-20%, and the strength of field at LIV events would make it so the winner would get maybe 40-50 points, and these guys would fall fast from the top 50 with their limited number of events. So it really wouldn't matter. 
But the powers that be seem to want to die on that hill, rather than let the LIV tour players die for playing a limited number of events, for a limited number of rounds, with a limited number of players. LIV = Limited Invitational Villians Tour

Players play, tough players win!

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

I've said that a couple of times, I'm surprised that they don't "concede" the not recognizing the events and go ahead and decide that 54 hole events are only worth 75% of a 72 hole event, and no cut should have another hair trim of say 15-20%, and the strength of field at LIV events would make it so the winner would get maybe 40-50 points, and these guys would fall fast from the top 50 with their limited number of events. So it really wouldn't matter.

40-50 points would be a LOT of points.

The CJ Cup is awarding 45.63866 points to the winner (projected) right now.

13 hours ago, iacas said:

40-50 points would be a LOT of points.

The CJ Cup is awarding 45.63866 points to the winner (projected) right now.

So my math is off, I haven't really followed the new OWGR math. Say they get, what would it be for the weak field, no cut, 54 hole event - maybe 5-10 points (to the winner. No way that any of them could stay on the front page of the OWGR playing only 10-12 events a year. 
I mean what do they have 5-6 players who would be competitive weekly on PGA Tour events (meaning top 20 finishes) so 20+ guys who used to be that good as some point and a bunch of guys who bring nothing to the OWGR calculation. 
I just think that the OWGR not recognizing LIV events gives much more ammunition to the LIV (social media, an eventual lawsuit somewhere, and it makes the sympathetic to the general public)

Players play, tough players win!

On 10/20/2022 at 10:18 AM, Wally Fairway said:

I just think that the OWGR not recognizing LIV events gives much more ammunition to the LIV (social media, an eventual lawsuit somewhere, and it makes the sympathetic to the general public)

This has been my thought.

On the other hand, the PGAT/OWGR deserves plenty of skepticism and criticism. You can see the LIV players weren't all wrong about the PGAT given PGAT's response to LIV. But a legit concern from their end is that if they give LIV points then it's only moral disgust and momentum keeping players on the PGA.

The more not-past-their-prime players that defect, the stronger the fields get and the more even the OWGR points will be between PGA and LIV, so majors eligibility will be relatively even between the tours. With all the blood money sloshing around, the choice for the players will then be LIV with huge signing bonus, bigger tourney prizes, 3-day tourneys, no cuts, and being the face of the Saudi royal family, vs PGA with no signing bonus, smaller pools, 4-days, a cut, and only having the be the face of whatever international corporations that sponsor tourneys that you have moral qualms with.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Titleist 585h 19˚
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

• Administrator

All some recent posts show is that people are gullible or don’t care much and that sportswashing and big lies work.

LIV doesn’t meet the criteria and is supposed to for a year. That clock hasn’t even begun ticking.

Saudi stuff, atrocities, what the PGA Tour did decades ago, etc. aside, on some level it’s that simple.

27 minutes ago, iacas said:

All some recent posts show is that people are gullible or don’t care much and that sportswashing and big lies work.

LIV doesn’t meet the criteria and is supposed to for a year. That clock hasn’t even begun ticking.

Saudi stuff, atrocities, what the PGA Tour did decades ago, etc. aside, on some level it’s that simple.

Exactly... I can't understand why people can't grasp the simple fact that LIV just started, they don't just get points off the rip because they have some big names over there.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

My understanding was that the criteria they don't meet are kinda ticky-tacky?

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Titleist 585h 19˚
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

7 minutes ago, mdl said:

My understanding was that the criteria they don't meet are kinda ticky-tacky?

Not sure about that, they don't have a way to qualify to play on the tour. That's a pretty big one. Right now it's invite only, no?

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Indeed. That's what I meant. Seems most don't care, so if LIV gets points it'll only be players' personal consciences to prevent total exodus from PGAT to the insane level of free money LIV is offering to any golfer anyone's heard of. 

2 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Not sure about that, they don't have a way to qualify to play on the tour. That's a pretty big one. Right now it's invite only, no?

That's interesting. I'd only heard about the lack of a cut, which seems a technicality. But yeah, being invite only makes it much more an exhibition tour rather than a pro sports league.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Titleist 585h 19˚
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚