IGNORED

Classification of Player by Handicap

sonicblue
Note: This thread is 5858 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Wow, some people on here really need to lighten up and learn to laugh at yourselves. Jeez, I am in the 0-5 category and it fits except currently I can and have three putted inside a hula hoop.

Really though, nothing fits for everybody but I think its a good all around representation of ability. Some people may find themselves better than their handicap in one area and worse in another which could give some insight on what you need to work on.

So relax guys, don't get pissed at him because you stink, we all stink on occasion.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Your wild generalizations are insulting. That's what we have a problem with. I know my deficiencies as a golfer, and I don't need you to belittle my game. When you were a high handicapper did you appreciate low handicappers insulting you?

I simply don't see where the insult is. Frankly, you could read what I said exactly the opposite, it could be advice. That is, if you are a 20+, and are trying to break out, then you could take my advice on short shots of "just be happy to get it up and on and in the right direction," whereas (and from MY experience there) that I would often overestimate my abilities and aim for shots I couldn't possibly execute.

The only thing near-overboard is the hula hoop comment, but quite frankly, it's funny, and it's inarguably true. Get over it. We're all here to learn and improve our, and each other's, game, but you also need to own up and admit where your game currently is.

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

Wow, some people on here really need to lighten up and learn to laugh at yourselves. Jeez, I am in the 0-5 category and it fits except currently I can and have three putted inside a hula hoop.

As well, thank you, NM (for the rep, too). I can't say it enough: this was good-natured, meant to help and ALL were applicable to me at one point or another (including the current point in time).

I would say - again, ballpark:

Sounds about right to me

"When I play with him, he talks to me on every green. He turns to me and says, 'You're away.' "
-Jimmy Demaret referring to Ben Hogan

In The Bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL (10.5 -conforming)3 Wood: MacGregor V-FOIL5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5 (4-PW)Wedges:52 - Nike SV Tour56 - Cleve...

I think it's pretty accurate and is all in good fun. Obviously it has some generalizations like any blanket chart would, but overall, I like it.

If you are getting mad over reading it, get over it. If you have as much tension when you swing, that's probably why your in the +20's :)

I think I fall in the 5-10 more than the 10-20 90% of the time, but there are those days when I feel like the 20-30 guy. Unfortunately that has been happening quite a bit lately.

In the
AMP Cart Bag
Driver : 3Dx Square Tour 8°
3 Wood : 4DX
2H : Edge CFT TitaniumIrons : M685 3-PWWedges : CG12 Satin 54° and 58°Putter : Odyssey White XG #9 33"Balls : Staff ZIP

I think it's pretty accurate and is all in good fun. Obviously it has some generalizations like any blanket chart would, but overall, I like it.

I think that's a good observation. Like you said, a 12 may be 60% of a 7 and 40% of a 20. Frankly, I doubt any one player fits the whole description, but it's like Dave Pelz says: you can grade each part of your game. What's your tee game handicap? Your short game handicap? Your putting handicap?

A great example is: say you're a 7. You often hit a good tee shot and hit an approach on or near the green. However, you realize that, when you're chipping greenside, you find your mentality is more like a 20, where you find yourself thinking, "just get it up there somewhere." Maybe you're leaving strokes on the table if you thought more like a 5 who says, "how can I make this shot?"

I seem to fall more into the 0-5 Catagory. Im more near there but a bit of me is into the 5-10 catagory also, as far as putting goes.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

Even though i play off a 4, id say i belong in the 5-10 range. all of those circumstances seem common to me, but im a good scrambler, so i make up for it.
Sticks
driver- X460 tour 9.5 Aldila NVS 75
irons- X-forged 3-PW TT BlackGold stiff
wedges- x-tour vintage 52, 56, 60
hybrid- FT-hybrid #2 17* putter- Sophia 33" "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."_Mario Andretti

Sad to say, but I am a member of the 3 putt inside a hula hoop. Actually, I'm worse than that. I 4 putted from 4 feet on Sun lol

At my dad's course, there's this one par 5 I was hell-bent on conquering, as it's short if you place a great tee shot. I went front bunker on my second, with a green sloping away. I actually hit a great shot, stopped 3-4 feet short, but the hole was right on the crest and sharply sliding left to right. I yipped it high, way down the hill, probably had 30+ feet back up the hill, three more to get down. :(

Perhaps I should have just kept my reaction to myself, but I think if you'll look - the only people you 'poking good natured fun' at, are those in the 20 handicap range. In every single one of your boxes.

Maybe you've all forgotten, or we're just naturally talented to begin with. I've worked hard get to where I'm not shooting between 115-125 and even harder to get down to 100 and even break it.

I don't feel at all like I'm "just swinging and hoping", "happy just to get it in the air", "or happy not to have flubbed it" or 3 putting in a hula hoop.

As for where I'm flubbing two shots - it's mostly with my short irons and wedges from up to 130 yds out - I get nervous and my swing falls apart, but once I'm within 20 ft of the green, I usually am able to chip it to within 5 ft of the hole and then usually 1 or 2 putt.

And as for hitting fairways, yeah lately I've been getting most of them. I'm not long, but pretty straight. I'd say my average tee shot is around 185 and my very best have been around 240.

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

Perhaps I should have just kept my reaction to myself, but I think if you'll look - the only people you 'poking good natured fun' at, are those in the 20 handicap range. In every single one of your boxes.

Seriously, you're over-reacting. Of course the only "poking" is the high handicaps. How the hell do you poke fun at a scratch player? "Haha, loser, your ball is so dirty...'cuz you never lose it and have played 41 straight holes with it...." Again, I've BEEN there, I was awful for years, and AGAIN, I WISH I had been able to laugh at it, or at least have ratcheted back my seriousness. Not to mention, please look and notice that a couple single-digit guys have not only said they find the "hula hoop" thing funny, but that it STILL applies to them. I just admitted that I once four-putted from point blank range!

Just for you, I've amended a description of my own category to take a shot at myself. OK?

To the OP...

Your generalizations are in the ballpark for the most part, IMO. As said before, there are players in each category that do certain things better and certain things worse than what you have in the boxes in a particular category, so I choose to take it with a grain of salt. I do feel that 20 handicappers don't "suck" (my terminology) across the board. It may be that they have a terrible iron game, or no touch around the greens, can't putt, etc. I think there are certain areas that most golfers of high handicap levels do pretty well, but it takes every facet of the game to be a scorer.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

What sort of 'insight' do you think this chart and its huge generalizations might provide?

hula hoop

... man it was a little funny, take it easy.
There's always exceptions, but I can't say I'd ever expect a 20 to have a controlled tee game. Heck, I'm an 8 and hesitate to say I have one! Besides, my greenside game for a 20 leaves open the possibility that you hit reasonable short shots; it's more a matter of what the goal for someone at that level probably is. They're not going for makes, or really judging speed/break, they're just going for non-chunks and generally at the hole. Do you think that doesn't apply to you? With all due respect, if you're a 20, there's a big gap somewhere in the game. If it's not the tee or the short game, where is it?

must be a gap indeed...

did anyone see a gap come through here
The comments you have for 10-20 seem appropriate for the "20" but seem way off for the "10". There is a world of difference between a 10 and a 20, IMO.

agreed there is a fair difference in a 10 and a 20... maybe a 10-15 category and a 15-20???

So, by your classification system we should add "Pompous ass" to the 5-10 handicap range?

... that is funny too. I don't think I would fit into that category anymore though.
I'd actually have to say that is a pretty accurate representation, the 5-10 range fits me perfectly. I feel I hit the ball pretty solidly, with a lot of just misses that leave a lot of easy chips. Extending my "likely to make it" range and reducing 3 putts would probably save me 4 shots a round.

yep, me too

NO, no ... he said something about 5-10's hitting lawn guys.

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

NO, no ... he said something about 5-10's hitting lawn guys.

That was an edit ;)

Agreed, 5-10 and 10-20 are disparate, I guess I just didn't know how to be more fine. I'll think about an additional band in there......

"Haha, loser, your ball is so dirty...'cuz you never lose it and have played 41 straight holes with it...."

Hilarious! "You're imbarassing yourself newb, change balls!" Just had to add that in As for your chart, fairly accurate. I think that there is a clear distinction between 10-15 and 15-20 as well. I am currently playing close to a 12 and although I don't hit a lot of greens, I am able to miss in a safe spot leaving myself the opportunity for an up-and-down. I think one of the biggest differences between mid and low handicappers is understand YOUR game and playing to YOUR potential. All too often I see decent players try to compete against better players rather than compete against par. It's important to hit shots that you know you can hit rather than try and exceed your ability. Once a high or mid handicapper can manage thier game in this manner, I can assure you that there will be significant changes happening. PS, sorry for the mini-rant
What I play:
Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 Fujikura Stiff flex | Titleist 735.cm Stainless Steel True Temper S300 3-PW | Titleist Vokey GW 52 | Cleveland 588 SW 56 | Titleist Vokey LW 60 | Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless | Titleist Pro V1x

Where I play:
Texas A&M UniversityHow I play:Goals for 2008

Stemming from some other threads where this general question comes up, sort of in fun, sort of serious, I came up with the following:

Here are a few studies that may give you a little more insight into statistical differences between different players skill levels. Take them with a grain of salt, as there isn't much information to show that the data was collected in a statistically sound method, or that it has been validated by trust worthy sources.

http://probablegolfinstruction.com/P...ws09-07-04.htm (scroll down to "Golf Statistics Part 2: Statistical Analysis of the Average Golfer") http://www.qualityamerica.com/knowle...pgaarticle.htm http://thesandtrap.com/columns/the_n...eur_in_numbers (This apparently was composed by Dave here on the sandtrap, and according to his bio this was written the same year he first became a scratch golfer). According to my own results (which I track with Golf Digest's free Challenge site) the GIR to scoring correlation fits pretty well (except when I putt well, shoot 70, and only hit 10 greens - then it doesn't correlate as strongly ). http://www.golfdigestchallenge.com//progress.php Finally, here are some pro stats from a while back relating GIR, proximity to the hole, and one putt % to birdie or better %: http://www.pgatour.com/story/9398365/

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

Note: This thread is 5858 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!