IGNORED

Magnolia Trees at Augusta National

I hope I'm posting this in the right forum (I know TST is the right forum, I mean forums within).  I couldn't find this online, and it's possible that I'm just very bad at Google.

I discovered this morning that there are many types of Magnolia trees.  I did not know that until a few hours ago.

What I can't figure out is what types they have at Augusta.  Maybe they have multiple types.  Can someone help me out with that information?

The second question, if I can figure out the first, is if such a tree could thrive in coastal Southern California.  I ask because my backyard is dirt and recently-removed weeds, and I'm going to finally landscape it in the coming months, and I have room for maybe 2-3 trees, and I was thinking of getting a Magnolia.  And that's how I found out there are many types.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Shindig said:

What I can't figure out is what types they have at Augusta.  Maybe they have multiple types.  Can someone help me out with that information?

I would assume southern magnolia.

1 hour ago, Shindig said:

The second question, if I can figure out the first, is if such a tree could thrive in coastal Southern California.

Ask a local garden center? There are varieties of magnolia that do well here in NJ. They tend to not like the cold.

I always wanted a magnolia, but for whatever reason I planted a weeping cherry instead. I only have one other spot in my yard suitable for a tree and I might end up putting up a pool there.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

5 hours ago, Shindig said:

I hope I'm posting this in the right forum (I know TST is the right forum, I mean forums within).  I couldn't find this online, and it's possible that I'm just very bad at Google.

I discovered this morning that there are many types of Magnolia trees.  I did not know that until a few hours ago.

The second question, if I can figure out the first, is if such a tree could thrive in coastal Southern California.  I ask because my backyard is dirt and recently-removed weeds, and I'm going to finally landscape it in the coming months, and I have room for maybe 2-3 trees, and I was thinking of getting a Magnolia.  And that's how I found out there are many types.

I will echo @billchaoand suggest you consult a nursery or knowledgeable garden center. I'm not sure Magnolia trees would respond well to the drought in Southern California.

• Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, Zippo said:

I will echo @billchaoand suggest you consult a nursery or knowledgeable garden center. I'm not sure Magnolia trees would respond well to the drought in Southern California.

This^

There are plenty of online resources that can help you decide which trees would best fit the climate you are in. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Thanks, everyone, I'll look into it.  There was a magnolia tree at the nursery when I went through yesterday, but that doesn't necessarily mean it'll work well, or that it won't be high maintenance (which I also don't want to deal with). 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter.