IGNORED

Why is Tiger the only black man on tour?

BASHERBAKER69
Note: This thread is 5806 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I dont think tigers race has anything to do with his talent, it is just the circumstances of his birth. But I am also of mixed races and I must admit I picked up the game because of him. If he wasnt out there I probably wouldnt be playing golf. Then I looked further into the game and its history and found other players that I liked. (I modeled my swing after david duval) So he has had an huge effect, maybe just not on the tour level, yet. I see black golfers out on the links every time I play and one of them is bound to make it one day.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ethiopians, Kenyans, Berbers and Congo Pygmies being prime examples, of course? Africa is a huge continent, with diversity all across it.

I wish what i had written had been read properly! I was merely stating that the analogy to swimming was not a good one, and for the reasons i stated. At no point did i say that being black, white, green, orange or yellow had anything to do with golf!

I couldn't agree more that a lot of it is to do with socio economics, and sociology. And on the physiological point i made, it is not discredited. It is true that people who are black (i know this is a slight generalisation, but not drastically) have a different muscle and bone density to white and asian people, it was not at any point racial stereotyping! (eugenics is nowhere near at all to the point i was making!!)

Driver - 905r 9.5* with UST Proforce VT Stiff
3 Wood - SQ 3+ 13* with Grafallloy prolaunch blue Stiff
5 Wood - SQ 5* 19 with Aldila NV65 stiff
Irons - MP 67 3 + 5-PW 2deg Up + 1/2" with DG S300 shaft.
Wedges - SV 52/10 with true temper s400 BV Spin Milled 56/10 Wedge Flex BV Spin Milled 60/04...

LOL. Chris Rock is frickin hilarious.

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

Basketball, Baseball, and Football can be played on any park with almost little to no cost to the kids. Golf on the other hand is a different story. A kid can't even hit some balls on a driving range without paying. And if they actually wanted to play regularly enough to get better, well they better not be poor. And that's the sad fact of this sport.

Until urban kids can play this game for free, it will be dominated by caucasians/asians.

I disagree with you that Tiger has "no life." He just works really hard. I see him at Lakers games, Orlando Magic games, at various LA parties, etc. He has a wife and child, and seems to have a life some - maybe not you would envy.

You explained your point on the thread topic well but I disagree that Black kids play the sports that give them the best chance for a "professional sports career." When I was young and living in the inner city, I played what was the most fun and that I knew about. I never saw golf on the TV to be honest. We saw the NBA, MLB and the NFL. I did occasionally see hockey and we tried that with makeshift equipment but you can't play hockey in the middle of the street! I think the pro career possibilities play in when kids get a little older, but young Black kids now know Tiger, but you can't just run to the park around the block and golf. Also, if their parents don't get them clubs, then they can't play if they want to. Now the major sports you could get into on your own initiative without your parents or any adult's help. I got into golf late in life towards the end of grad school in the late 90's (which did coincide with Tiger's rise, but also everyone in med school played).
Get real everyone.

Oh yeah, someone said Blacks will dominate golf in __ years because of athleticism and I couldn't disagree more with that comment. Golf is one of several sports where "Athleticism" is highly irrelevant. Look at some of the guys who excel in the PGA tour. Skill is not something exclusive to athletes. Being big and burly - not necessarily muscular - are better IMO. Looking at Ernie Els and Vijay Singh, John Daly for their distance. Not athletes but their natural size allows them to wallop the ball efficiently and with relative ease.

It's an unfair discount to great athletes to over-emphasize the role of athleticism in their successes. The greats have the ability to have a singular mental focus when needed and possess an incredible stubborn streak that makes them believe nothing's possible. Both mental characteristics that lesser players don't have. This is aside from hours upon hours of practice etc.

it's not just black kids: it's whites, hispanic and asian kids too. I grew up in the Bronx and very few of us had the access to golf that wealthier children do. I'm sure if there was a community filled with wealthy black people that several black golfers would emerge from it. However, those communities don't seem to really exist in this country as more wealthier communities are usually predominantly caucasian.

Golf is a rich man's game : i went to play at a municipal course in the BRONX yesterday with my father and it cost us $104 to play!!! FOR TWO!!!

That's disgusting.

It's too early yet. Tiger has shattered the notion of golf being all an exclusive club. This is going to touch the children of today.

Twenty years from now, the game will be more representative of society- a glorious mosaic. I see it now at the muni's, and the clubs in Westchester NY.

Yeah, a lot of pressure. Rise above it. Harness in the good energy, block out the bad. Harness energy, block bad.
Feel the flow, Happy. It's circular. It's Like a carousel. You get on the horse. It goes up, down and around. Circular. Circle. With the music,the flow. All good things.I...

I don't think that such a thing as a 'glorious mosaic' actually exists in terms of society and social integration. I don't think lumping everybody together in a melting pot is necessarily healthy- it leads to conflict and aggression.

We just need to accept that certain groups of people like certain games/sports and that being inclusive creates more problems than it solves usually.

why are there no black woman lpga golfers?

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

Good question- why are there no black tennis players apart from the Williams sisters?....the same reasoning applies to both sexes in the age of equality and equal opportunities.

Good question- why are there no black tennis players apart from the Williams sisters?

This isn't the correct question. There are plenty of Black tennis players. Go to the south side of Chicago in Hyde Park, or to Belmont Plateau in Philly, etc. The tennis courts are FULL of Black people.

I think the question you meant to ask is "Why are there so few Black Elite-level tennis players?" First of all, is the question even true? Given the numbers, you might say that the US is overrepresented in terms of Elite-level black tennis players. There are only 2 elite US mens players - Blake and Roddick. There are only three elite US womens players - the Williams sisters and Lindsay Davenport. As far as US elite-level tennis is concerned, I think Black people are well-represented. Tennis is a much different animal than golf. Although both sports share the 'country club' image, I think USA tennis has had a much longer and richer history of Black representation at the top level of the sport. In golf, while Sifford, Elder, etc, broke the USGA color barrier, they never made it to the top of the game. If the US isn't going to call Tiger 'Black', then the reality is that US golf is still waiting for the first Black person to make it to the top level of the sport. In terms of racial makeup, golf looks more like skiing and cycling, not tennis.

HiBore 10.5 driver
GT-500 3- and 5-woods
Bazooka JMax 4 Iron Wood
Big Bertha 2008 irons (4 and 5 i-brids, 6i-9i,PW)
Tom Watson 56 SW Two-Ball putter

This isn't the correct question. There are plenty of Black tennis players. Go to the south side of Chicago in Hyde Park, or to Belmont Plateau in Philly, etc. The tennis courts are FULL of Black people.

Maybe on the professional levels of golf, but on the recreational side I see black people and other ethnicies playing the game all the time. Its a good thing. An all black 4-some was behind us a few weeks ago when I played. One of these players banging around muni's is bound to make it sooner or later.

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Wow, can't believe I'm even posting in this touchy thread. I'm white and I am NOT racist by any means.

That said, I think this is more of an economic thing than anything else. Hopefully programs like The First Tee will help the future of the game in this sense.

I see golf like hockey and even tennis as was mentioned earlier.

To become a professional golfer you need decent instruction. I know, there are some exceptions to that rule on tour today, but for the most part these guys have had some form of high level instruction at some point along the way. That isn't cheap. Heck, half-hour lessons at the local public course aren't cheap these days.

Which brings the next part of the economic issue. Golf requires equipment which is not cheap (nor cheap to rent if you are going to do it frequently).

Also, unlike basketball, football, baseball, etc, you can't just go out to the park and play it for free with your buddies so the exposure at a young age isn't there as much. You have to pay greens fees every time you play or join somewhere. It's not cheap. If you want to practice (unless you have a big open area and a supply of practice balls) you have to go to range and spend more money.

So, I really think this is more of an economic issue than a race issue. And NO, I'm not saying all black people are poor because that's not true. What I am saying is, black or white, if you grow up in a family that doesn't have economic security and has limited exposure to the game of golf then it is likely you won't be in to golf early enough in life to have a shot at becoming a professional golfer.

This is why some of these programs exist today. To try to get more exposure to the game for young kids who may not have normally had a chance to be involved with it.
In My Bag ( Superlight 3.5):

Driver: 9.5* Burner SuperFast, Matrix Ozik XCon 4.8 Stiff
Fairway Woods: Steelhead III, Uniflex Steel (3w, 5w)
Hybrids: Big Bertha Heavenwood 4H, Uniflex SteelIrons: Victory Red Full Cavity, Stiff (5-AW)Wedges: WALTER HAGEN,...

MONEY, plain and simple.

Golf is not cheap, in fact it is probably one of the most expensive and exclusive sports out there. It is also one of the most time consuming sports out there, not only just playing a 5 hour round but to partice - it is a real time sink.

Same reason why soccer is the number one sport, it's vertually free to play. All you need is a ball and a field.

Note: This thread is 5806 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!