IGNORED

Using a Leaf Blower Okay on a Green?

RonK

Just wondering if there is an equipment rule to ban the use of a handheld leaf blower to clear the line of putts. 

It is fairly quiet piece of equipment, and the intention is to speed up play.  eg. if one player knocks in he can clear another players line while that player goes through their reading routine.

image.png.03abfe9b4f1f557c43f1cbf43f0dccc2.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Most of the courses I play in the fall and winter have greens surrounded by trees.  Your great idea has occurred to me many times as our group has cleared a line for putts, but I have never acted upon it. I think every golfer in your group and those that followed would thank you!

Rule 15.1 allows you to move loose impediments on the green!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Using a Leaf Blower Okay on a Green?
  • 9 months later...

FYI. If the leaf blower also removes sand from the fringe that is a two stroke penalty. 

Another question: would a local rule prohibiting leaf blowers be "authorized"? (See Committee Procedures manual.)

I believe the key here is in the definition of "equipment". Rule 4 is silent on leaf blowers; it basically states what is and isn't allowed with commonly used items. What you may not do is use or do anything that gives you an unfair advantage, therefore unless there is a local rule prohibiting leaf blowers, using one should be ok as long as your group are the only players in the match and you clear the green for all the other players in your group too.

But I admit I am stretching it. To me, if you are just out there for fun, go ahead.

My Weapons of Grass Destruction:

:titleist: TS2 10.5*;  917F2 15*;  818H1 19*;  716 AP2 4-P;  Pro V1x

:vokey: SM7's - 50.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.08 M

:odyssey: Black Series 3

:footjoy:  :oakley: 

6 hours ago, paperclip said:

I believe the key here is in the definition of "equipment". Rule 4 is silent on leaf blowers; it basically states what is and isn't allowed with commonly used items. What you may not do is use or do anything that gives you an unfair advantage, therefore unless there is a local rule prohibiting leaf blowers, using one should be ok as long as your group are the only players in the match and you clear the green for all the other players in your group too.

But I admit I am stretching it. To me, if you are just out there for fun, go ahead.

I'd suggest that two Rules come into play, first is 15.1a which says:

"Without penalty, a player may remove a loose impediment anywhere on or off the course, and may do so in any way"

That clearly does NOT deny you the use of a leaf blower.  Further, specific to the Putting Green, 16.1c(1) says you may also remove sand and loose soil, which are NOT Loose Impediments, and doesn't limit the method with which you may remove them.  

23 hours ago, reidsou said:

FYI. If the leaf blower also removes sand from the fringe that is a two stroke penalty. 

Perhaps, but only if doing so Improves the Conditions Affecting the Stroke.  If you don't gain a potential advantage by removing the sand, its not an issue.  Both "Improve" and "Conditions Affecting the Stroke" are defined terms.

As I read it, there's no approved Model Local Rule for eliminating the use of leaf blowers.  I can't believe this is prevalent enough to merit the writing of a MLR, but if your Committee wishes to get approval, they can submit their proposed Rule to the USGA or R&A.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Informative 2

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.