IGNORED

Value of a Putter Fitting?

rod7515

14 hours ago, pganapathy said:

Modern driver technology is pretty good that with a shaft that suits your swing speed and a decent modern club head, you will be reasonably accurate.

Again, the same exact thing can be said about a putter. There's not all that much "technology" in most putters, so find one that suits your natural stroke and allows you to aim it roughly where you think you are aiming it and you will be reasonably accurate. 

14 hours ago, pganapathy said:

Maybe this whole putter importance thing comes from my personal bias and finding the putter to be the worst and weakest club in my bag.  I struggle with distance control on longer putts and getting it close enough to ensure two putts is more of an issue for me than being a few yards shorter or offline

Bias plays a role here for sure, putting, especially speed control, has always been a strength of mine while driving accuracy (at least until I got my first ever driver fitting last year) has been a weakness, so I come from the opposite end of the spectrum as you on this topic. (Although I still believe even with my personal bias that the stats tend to lean in the direction of my position that more can go wrong with an ill-fitted driver vs an ill-fitted putter)

It's funny how this stuff works, I feel like if you gave me 20-30min with just about any putter I could get comfortable enough to putt somewhat ok on the course while it sounds like you feel the same with driver.

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Edel putters FTMFW

Anyways, I will tell anybody this, unless you have put a mirror on your club face and lasered it, you have no idea where you're even aiming the putter. That was my most eye opening experience, finding out that I had been aiming nowhere near the hole for LITERALLY DECADES.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For a putter to fit you it's not just length, lie and loft. In my case it was also weight. My two Scotty Camerons improved dramatically after I added a bit of lead tape to the head.