IGNORED

Value of a Putter Fitting?

rod7515

I am thinking about going to club champion and getting a putter fitting for my Scotty Cameron Go Lo 5R mallet putter. 

When i set up i like the ball almost straight down from my eyes. With this putter if i set up that way it feels as tho the toe is hanging down and the heel is slightly up off the ground. I also would like to have the loft checked so i get a true roll. 

This style putter has an appealing look for me at address and has helped improve my putting so far from 2.3 from when i used a Taylormade Spider to 1.9 currently. However i miss too many 5 footers just to the left side of the cup.

A fitting and bending of the current shaft would be probably around 200-250. I dont mind spending that to improve my game but was wondering how many have had a fitting and has it improved you putting? 

Thanks, Rod

7 hours ago, rod7515 said:

I am thinking about going to club champion and getting a putter fitting for my Scotty Cameron Go Lo 5R mallet putter. 

When i set up i like the ball almost straight down from my eyes. With this putter if i set up that way it feels as tho the toe is hanging down and the heel is slightly up off the ground. I also would like to have the loft checked so i get a true roll. 

This style putter has an appealing look for me at address and has helped improve my putting so far from 2.3 from when i used a Taylormade Spider to 1.9 currently. However i miss too many 5 footers just to the left side of the cup.

A fitting and bending of the current shaft would be probably around 200-250. I dont mind spending that to improve my game but was wondering how many have had a fitting and has it improved you putting? 

Thanks, Rod

I can’t speak for Club Champion, but if you’ve never been fit, it’s worth it. I was fit year ago in NH and he made changes that got my aim much better. Where are you located? Edel fitters do a great job too.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks for your advice. Did they make adjustments to your putter? What was the cost to have it done? 

Im thinking it would help. Im in Pa so the closest place to me is 35 miles to a club champion. 

Thanks Rod

• Administrator
31 minutes ago, rod7515 said:

Thanks for your advice. Did they make adjustments to your putter? What was the cost to have it done? 

Im thinking it would help. Im in Pa so the closest place to me is 35 miles to a club champion. 

Thanks Rod

Why are you set on that specific putter? Especially if you miss a lot of putts left?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Because i like the way the ball rolls off the face and i really like the looks of it. Also i dont want to spend 500-700 on one of theirv I putters if i can get mine bent and adjusted to work for me. Im averaging 1.9 putts per round while missing a few punts. Im hoping i can get this putter set up for me. 

Rod

35 minutes ago, rod7515 said:

Im averaging 1.9 putts per round while missing a few punts. Im hoping i can get this putter set up for me. 

Be careful using putts per round as a metric.   It's very misleading.   If a golfer hits 18 GIR but has 25' for each putt they probably will average 2+ putts per hole.   If a golfer misses the green and chips to 3' and 1 putts, their putts per green will be better than the first golfer but that's not a true picture of their ability on the green.

• Thumbs Up 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• Administrator
39 minutes ago, rod7515 said:

Because i like the way the ball rolls off the face and i really like the looks of it. Also i dont want to spend 500-700 on one of theirv I putters if i can get mine bent and adjusted to work for me. Im averaging 1.9 putts per round while missing a few punts. Im hoping i can get this putter set up for me. 

Rod

Then it’s not really a putter fitting because you already picked the putter.

Maybe you don’t even align it properly.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 11 months later...
On 1/27/2023 at 11:41 PM, rod7515 said:

Thanks, Rod

In my experience getting the lie and loft adjusted properly for your swing is going to save you many strokes on the green.

On 1/27/2023 at 11:41 PM, rod7515 said:

Thanks, Rod

I used to have a custom shopped Scotty Cameron GoLo 5 mallet putter... not the 5R. It was beautiful. 

I will say I've never liked the 5R. The back end being shaped all wonky like that always looked weird to me. To my eye it should be symmetrical. (Perhaps that's why you miss left... maybe?) 

I actually had two custom shopped Scotty's. That Golo 5 and a really great looking custom 2014 fastback. They were both gorgeous. I used to have people offer my money for them on the course all the time. 

The problem was I never putted that well with either of them. BUT I was forever making excuses for them because I liked the way they looked so much. The one putter I did putt pretty well with was an old Nike Counterflex. So, I started the same journey you are now beginning. Which was where can I get the Scotty Cameron that I like so much fit for me to improve its performance. 

Where I eventually arrived was getting fit for a new Edel putter. I started from scratch and it turned out to be a great choice. Edel's process is like no other. 

Here's an old thread about my putter: 

So, eventually I actually sold both of my Scotty Cameron's and I even sold my Nike putter. Literally right out of my bag after a round. 

Sorry for the long post. I wish you luck with finding the "right" putter. If that means "fixing" what you have, or if that means going for something new. I've always felt that Scotty Cameron makes really beautiful putters. Getting them custom shopped can make them even more gorgeous. But, if you can't aim it at the hole, the ball is less likely to go in. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I would honestly have to say a putter fitting is the most important one in your bag.  Unless your driver is horribly unsuited for you for example, you will most likely be within 10 to 20 yards in length and dispersion with most modern drivers.  Yes, the irons matter a bit more but there again the delta isn't as great.  In putters, missing your first putt miserably almost certainly guarantees you a 3 putt because you will be too far offline and distance control will be missing.  Adding that one extra putt a hole is a scorecard killer

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

14 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

I would honestly have to say a putter fitting is the most important one in your bag.  Unless your driver is horribly unsuited for you for example, you will most likely be within 10 to 20 yards in length and dispersion with most modern drivers.  Yes, the irons matter a bit more but there again the delta isn't as great.  In putters, missing your first putt miserably almost certainly guarantees you a 3 putt because you will be too far offline and distance control will be missing.  Adding that one extra putt a hole is a scorecard killer

I get what you're saying here, but couldn't the same thing you said about the driver be said about the putter?

I'd probably argue that a horribly unsuited driver would have more of a negative impact on my game than a horribly unsuited putter would. 

A increase in dispersion of 20yds with driver is like 25%ish for most golfers and could mean the difference between finding the edge of the fairway or re-teeing. 

A 25% increase in dispersion with putter will certainly result in more putts over time, but it's not like me switching to a putter that is unsuited for me will result in me suddenly adding 18 putts per round like you claimed.

Let's say that using a putter not suited for you increases your average 2nd putt length from 2 feet to 3 feet. That's a 50% jump in dispersion. That's only .11 more strokes to hole out on average for a 90s shooter and .06 additional strokes to hole out for a scratch golfer. An increase in 2nd putt length from 3 to 4 feet is a 33% jump and that'd be .19 more strokes to hole out for a 90s golfer and .13 for a scratch golfer.

I might be wrong here and misunderstanding the math, but it feels like a 20-25% increase in dispersion with a horribly unsuited driver would have a greater impact on your score than a 20-25% increase in putting dispersion due to a horribly unsuited putter.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

32 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

a putter fitting is the most important one in your bag.  

I don't know if I agree with this statement. I've played a bunch of rounds with rental clubs and the putter was never my biggest complaint. I'd also suggest that "getting close" to the proper fit putter is probably easier to do yourself, then properly fit a driver. 

32 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

the irons matter a bit more 

Again, I've played with a lot of rental clubs and I can usually get on just fine with almost any middle of the road irons. I'm going to suggest that the difference between one player's driver and another players driver is greater than the difference between one player's irons and another player's irons. 

I might suggest that in order of importance of getting professionally fit for a club:

1. Driver
  2. Irons
  3. Putter
  4. Wedges
  5. Fairway woods

Before anyone jumps down my neck. Please note that if you are serious about your game, I think you should get fit for all of your clubs. I mean you may as well. 

Edited by ChetlovesMer

The best part about my fitted putter is having 100% certainty that bad putts come from the dummy that’s holding it and I don’t spend hundreds of dollars constantly trying new putters.

1 hour ago, pganapathy said:

I feel you’re overstating the value of a putter. I once saw a guy putt better than a PGA Tour pro with a wedge.

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

6 hours ago, billchao said:

The best part about my fitted putter is having 100% certainty that bad putts come from the dummy that’s holding it and I don’t spend hundreds of dollars constantly trying new putters.

This. 

Although, I'd never call you a dummy. 👍

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

This. 

Although, I'd never call you a dummy. 👍

Out loud 😉

It's ok I wrote the thing we were all thinking. You have seen me putt, right? 😜

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Thanks for all the responses to a putter and fitting. 

It's been almost a year since I posted and I had the lie of the Cameron putter reset twice. It didnt help my putting woes.

So in July I bought a new Evnroll putter. I found my distance control improve immediately which gave me much shorter 2nd putts but it also allowed me to challenge the hole more often. Not only that but because my 2nd putts are much shorter im not missing putts and I'm much more confident overall. 

I have to say that Iacas was correct when he told me in so many worlds to consider trying a different putter. 

For those not familiar with Evnroll take a look if your thinking putters. Great quality and a very consistant roll out. 

Thanks again for all comments and suggestions. 

Rod

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/10/2024 at 11:45 PM, klineka said:

I get what you're saying here, but couldn't the same thing you said about the driver be said about the putter?

I'd probably argue that a horribly unsuited driver would have more of a negative impact on my game than a horribly unsuited putter would. 

A increase in dispersion of 20yds with driver is like 25%ish for most golfers and could mean the difference between finding the edge of the fairway or re-teeing. 

A 25% increase in dispersion with putter will certainly result in more putts over time, but it's not like me switching to a putter that is unsuited for me will result in me suddenly adding 18 putts per round like you claimed.

Let's say that using a putter not suited for you increases your average 2nd putt length from 2 feet to 3 feet. That's a 50% jump in dispersion. That's only .11 more strokes to hole out on average for a 90s shooter and .06 additional strokes to hole out for a scratch golfer. An increase in 2nd putt length from 3 to 4 feet is a 33% jump and that'd be .19 more strokes to hole out for a 90s golfer and .13 for a scratch golfer.

I might be wrong here and misunderstanding the math, but it feels like a 20-25% increase in dispersion with a horribly unsuited driver would have a greater impact on your score than a 20-25% increase in putting dispersion due to a horribly unsuited putter.

On 1/10/2024 at 11:46 PM, ChetlovesMer said:

I don't know if I agree with this statement. I've played a bunch of rounds with rental clubs and the putter was never my biggest complaint. I'd also suggest that "getting close" to the proper fit putter is probably easier to do yourself, then properly fit a driver. 

Again, I've played with a lot of rental clubs and I can usually get on just fine with almost any middle of the road irons. I'm going to suggest that the difference between one player's driver and another players driver is greater than the difference between one player's irons and another player's irons. 

I might suggest that in order of importance of getting professionally fit for a club:

1. Driver
  2. Irons
  3. Putter
  4. Wedges
  5. Fairway woods

Before anyone jumps down my neck. Please note that if you are serious about your game, I think you should get fit for all of your clubs. I mean you may as well. 

On 1/11/2024 at 12:41 AM, billchao said:

I feel you’re overstating the value of a putter. I once saw a guy putt better than a PGA Tour pro with a wedge.

I get what you guys are saying about the dispersion, but what I mean is that it is a lot easier to get a driver that is reasonably well suited for you without needing to be fit in a few hour session hitting hundreds of shots and going through multiple clubs.  Modern driver technology is pretty good that with a shaft that suits your swing speed and a decent modern club head, you will be reasonably accurate.  Maybe this whole putter importance thing comes from my personal bias and finding the putter to be the worst and weakest club in my bag.  I struggle with distance control on longer putts and getting it close enough to ensure two putts is more of an issue for me than being a few yards shorter or offline

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

I can't endorse @ChetlovesMer's post enough! I got fit for an Edel putter a few years back and it shaved just shy of 2 strokes gained a round off my game (from Arccos with meticulous correction of 1st putt and pin position on every green)! With my old putter I was aiming high and right and biased a bit too long. Now when I'm playing/practicing enough to be putting well I will often gain strokes versus scratch on the green. Transformed my game.

15 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

I get what you guys are saying about the dispersion, but what I mean is that it is a lot easier to get a driver that is reasonably well suited for you without needing to be fit in a few hour session hitting hundreds of shots and going through multiple clubs.  Modern driver technology is pretty good that with a shaft that suits your swing speed and a decent modern club head, you will be reasonably accurate.  Maybe this whole putter importance thing comes from my personal bias and finding the putter to be the worst and weakest club in my bag.  I struggle with distance control on longer putts and getting it close enough to ensure two putts is more of an issue for me than being a few yards shorter or offline

What you're saying about the driver is for sure not true. Last time I was fit for a driver I would go from reasonable to great to driving like triple my handicap with almost every shift of shaft or club head, at least during the early, wide exploration phase. You don't need an all day event but a full fitting will absolutely get you better results than taking the first driver off the shelf where you don't hit only duck hooks (i.e. "reasonable well suited")

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚