IGNORED

Pre-Round Stretching?

DakotaDarkhorse

New to golf and I'm learning but I started doing some stretching before playing. I've even started doing it before going to Top Golf. That being said I still feel very stiff and tight when swinging and think I may not be doing enough. My buddy even said I look stiff when I swing. Part of that may be due to lack of professional instruction, but that's for another topic in another section of the forum.

I'm no fitness expert but when I think to how I feel when golfing... stiff/tightness really seems to be in my upper arms, lower back, and hips. What are some of the stretches you all are doing before playing?

NEW TO GOLF, BUT READY TO LEARN!

Combat Wounded Marine, Some Assembly Required 😁

paging @JCrane.   

I find if I don't do some stretching before playing it takes me about 3 or 4 holes to fully feel like I can swing freely.   My routine includes stretching at home before I get to the golf course.    Once I get to the course I do some slow swings with two clubs.   I'm actively working on core exercises and stretching in anticipation of the golfing season. 

• Thumbs Up 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@DakotaDarkhorse, in addition to yoga type stretching, I’ve been doing Fit for Golf for a year and a half now. Not only has it improved strength but also flexibility. Mike Carroll has a pre round stretching routine in the app and a daily mobility routine that takes about 10 minutes. I feel less stiff before practice and rounds using this.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I would do recommend more of a dynamic movement (warmup) routine. Static stretching relaxes the muscles and doesn’t prep them for activity. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Thank you for the suggestions everyone. I do know that being an amputee effects me not just in golf but everyday life. From the way I stand, walk, and even drive(use my left foot). I do know that I need to get to the chiropractor again as that always helps me feel more loose and lighter. I genuinely feel like I should be doing some sort of stretching at home regularly... not just for golf lol

NEW TO GOLF, BUT READY TO LEARN!

Combat Wounded Marine, Some Assembly Required 😁

2 hours ago, DakotaDarkhorse said:

Thank you for the suggestions everyone. I do know that being an amputee effects me not just in golf but everyday life. From the way I stand, walk, and even drive(use my left foot). I do know that I need to get to the chiropractor again as that always helps me feel more loose and lighter. I genuinely feel like I should be doing some sort of stretching at home regularly... not just for golf lol

I've started a swimming regiment to help with flexibility and strengthening.   It may be something to consider.   

• Thumbs Up 2

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny