IGNORED

Home Golf Sim

MembersBounce

Perhaps I'm in the wrong area posting this but I've been perusing reddit and came across some unique setups for a Home Golf Simulator. I've got about an 8'(width) x 12'(height) x 10'(length) area in the garage I'm considering installing one into. 

I don't want to spend 10k+ doing it though. Ideally I'd want to keep it under 2k but the question is the actual tech that is needed for it reliable around that price range or do you really need to pony up the dough? I can build a frame, screen and net fairly easy and cheaply.

Driver: :ping: G425 Max
3 & 5 Wood: :ping: G425 Max
4 Hybrid:ping: G425
Irons 5-P: :ping: G425
Wedges: :ping: 4.0 Glide (50, 54, 58)
Putter: :ping: Prime Tyne 4

Ball: :titleist:  Tour Speed

2 minutes ago, MembersBounce said:

Perhaps I'm in the wrong area posting this but I've been perusing reddit and came across some unique setups for a Home Golf Simulator. I've got about an 8'(width) x 12'(height) x 10'(length) area in the garage I'm considering installing one into. 

I don't want to spend 10k+ doing it though. Ideally I'd want to keep it under 2k but the question is the actual tech that is needed for it reliable around that price range or do you really need to pony up the dough? I can build a frame, screen and net fairly easy and cheaply.

I may be wrong, but you only have 2 options:
Ernest Sports ES Tour Plus Full Simulation Launch Monitor or SkyTrak. 

I don't think you have room for a Radar System. You have to go camera. Ernest Sports ES and SkyTrak are about the only ones in your price range. 

I can tell you from experience the SkyTrak worked really well in my garage. Never missed a single shot. I was more than happy with it. 

I was looking into the Bushnell and/or the GC3, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. Some of that is because it would actually require me to get a gaming computer along with the unit. With the Bushnell you'd have a yearly rental fee. With the GC3 you wouldn't. But both of these are well out of your price range. 

Good luck. Let us know what you decide. 

• Thumbs Up 3

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Yeah, I think SkyTrak is the only real option you've got. Not enough room for a Mevo+ or a radar-based system.

• Thumbs Up 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Other things to consider are the PC and Projector.

On the PC side you will need a quaillty Gaming machine, 16gb Ram, with a GPU NVIDIA GeForce RTX or AMD Radeon RX 5700. Power source and necessary cables.

You might want to consider this - Rapsodo Portable Golf Sim
Software to consider - GSPro edition.

Hardware - GC3 or Uneekor

52 minutes ago, MembersBounce said:

doing it though. Ideally I'd want to keep it under 2k

You will need to find used equipment, and still be pressed to obtain anything at that threshold.
A more realistic price would be between 5k - 8k

• Thumbs Up 2

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I may be wrong, but you only have 2 options:
Ernest Sports ES Tour Plus Full Simulation Launch Monitor or SkyTrak. 

I don't think you have room for a Radar System. You have to go camera. Ernest Sports ES and SkyTrak are about the only ones in your price range. 

I can tell you from experience the SkyTrak worked really well in my garage. Never missed a single shot. I was more than happy with it. 

I was looking into the Bushnell and/or the GC3, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. Some of that is because it would actually require me to get a gaming computer along with the unit. With the Bushnell you'd have a yearly rental fee. With the GC3 you wouldn't. But both of these are well out of your price range. 

Good luck. Let us know what you decide. 

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Yeah, I think SkyTrak is the only real option you've got. Not enough room for a Mevo+ or a radar-based system.

44 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

On the PC side you will need a quaillty Gaming machine, 16gb Ram, with a GPU NVIDIA GeForce RTX or AMD Radeon RX 5700. Power source and necessary cables.

You will need to find used equipment, and still be pressed to obtain anything at that threshold.

Thank you guys. I'll look closely into skytrak. Luckily I've grown up being a bit of a gaming nerd so I have custom built laptops and PCs that I'm sure are spec'd good enough to handle the software.

1 hour ago, Club Rat said:

Just a point of reference.

I ran SkyTrak on a 10 year old P.O.S. Lenovo and had no trouble what so ever. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

3 hours ago, Club Rat said:

I honestly don't think he can use that. He needs a camera system. He doesn't have room for Radar. 

The Rapsodo has a camera, but it a camera for taking video, not a camera system for tracking the ball, like SkyTrak, or GC3.

3 hours ago, Club Rat said:

SkyTrak will run on 4 gb Ram and no special graphics card. 

You can get a projector for $150 at Walmart and it will work. 

The only trouble with SkyTrak is the delay from the time you hit until the shot is shown on the screen. The GC3 and/or Bushnell are much faster. 

• Informative 1

3 hours ago, MembersBounce said:

I'm sure are spec'd good enough to handle the software.

👍
Also check this website - Golf Simulator Forum   Used Sims For Sale

Check "Classified Adds" 

• Thumbs Up 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

1 minute ago, Club Rat said:

👍
Also check this website - Golf Simulator Forum   Used Sims For Sale

Check "Classified Adds" 

Will do! Thank you!

If your driveway into your garage is flat, I wonder if you could get away with a radar with the garage door open?  Would def need to be level though.

That said, I pretty much have the minimum required space (16ft) for a Mevo+ and wouldn’t go under that.  The flight readings of the longer clubs seem to be off a little.

I’d lean towards agreeing with the above folks that SkyTrak is probably your best less expensive option (if you’re OK with a subscription model).

• Thumbs Up 1

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, Denny Bang Bang said:

I’d lean towards agreeing with the above folks that SkyTrak is probably your best less expensive option (if you’re OK with a subscription model).

Just… wait for the new model.

• Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Is skytrack nearly as good as TrackMan? I mean is it comparable? II know the price difference is a big thing but just asking as I never used a skytrack

Making a run at qualifying for the Swedish H40 amateur national golf team. 
Driver: Titleist Tsi3 with Tour AD Di7x - FW: Titleist Tsi3 with Tour AD Iz7x - Hy: Titleist Tsi3 with KBS Tour prototype S
Irons; Mizuno Mp20 MMC with KBS c-taper - Vokey SM9 wedges (50/54/58),
Putter: Odessey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Ball: Stripe golf ball No.02

• Administrator
5 hours ago, TheWiseguy said:

Is skytrack nearly as good as TrackMan? I mean is it comparable? II know the price difference is a big thing but just asking as I never used a skytrack

They’re priced differently for a reason.

Something else that hasn't been mentioned that you will need to consider is that 8 feet isn't very wide for a simulator setup, you will have to be hitting off center into the impact screen/net.

Is there any possibility of increasing the width?

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

2 hours ago, klineka said:

Something else that hasn't been mentioned that you will need to consider is that 8 feet isn't very wide for a simulator setup, you will have to be hitting off center into the impact screen/net.

Is there any possibility of increasing the width?

Yah I would need to move the other car out of the garage when in use. So I guess in that case the setup would need to be somewhat collapsible.

10 minutes ago, MembersBounce said:

Yah I would need to move the other car out of the garage when in use. So I guess in that case the setup would need to be somewhat collapsible.

Retractable is also an option over collapsible. I did a retractable setup in my garage and it's worked out pretty well so far.

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Well, with the dimensions you can only pick a camera based launch monitor.  Obviously the most expensive is the GC Quad.  Then you can get options like the Uneekor which are roof based and therefore not portable.  Next comes the Bushnell Launch Pro/GC3.  Cheaper than that is the Skytrak.  Finally the budget option, provided you have a decent iPhone is software like Shot Vision which uses the iPhone cameras to track your ball but has many of the metrics calculated rather than measured.

19 hours ago, MembersBounce said:

• Thumbs Up 1

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

• Administrator
On 3/1/2023 at 4:39 PM, MembersBounce said:

I don't want to spend 10k+ doing it though. Ideally I'd want to keep it under 2k…

@pganapathy… C'mon buddy.

8 hours ago, pganapathy said:

Obviously the most expensive is the GC Quad.  Then you can get options like the Uneekor which are roof based and therefore not portable.  Next comes the Bushnell Launch Pro/GC3.  Cheaper than that is the Skytrak.

• Funny 1