IGNORED

My Swing (lmount)

lmount

I've been Playing Golf for: A few weeks recently, 10-15 years ago I had played a bit as a kid but never serious
My current handicap index or average score is: N/A yet as I've only played a few rounds at a local par 3, but rough guess would be high
My typical ball flight is: little bit of everything (working on consistency) but recently have been hooking it
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: complete shanks, but mostly want to get the fundamentals down

Getting (back) into golf after a very long time of not playing and never really playing that seriously. I played a fair bit of baseball as a kid as well and have been working to break those habits/probably influencing my swing a bit. Fairly new member here and have read through a number of other member swing posts, and starting to look at the posture & positioning threads. Can already see from those that I'm probably a bit too leaned forward/butt too far back. Going to get a few lessons over the next few weeks, but have seen some great feedback here and would love any tips on basic things to work on! I got one lesson a few months ago which corrected my swing from holding my arms way too far forward (parallel with the shaft) so that's been an adjustment, otherwise just trying to get a basic swing down and make sure I'm generally doing things right. I also wanted to start a thread to work on keeping myself accountable/actually tracking any improvements over the next few months.

Also I have read the "Recording your swing article", working to get a tripod to get some better views! But wanted to start with this and will update when I have better footage, I think this was a 5 iron.

Videos: 

Edited by lmount

• iacas changed the title to My Swing (lmount)
  • Administrator
1 hour ago, lmount said:

Also I have read the "Recording your swing article", working to get a tripod to get some better views! But wanted to start with this and will update when I have better footage, I think this was a 5 iron.

👍🏼

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A good place to start is setup and posture. A good setup will help throughout the swing because your body won’t compensate for being off balance. Your down-the-line view looks like you’re a bit on your heels. That may come from your baseball background. Try to feel like you’re on the balls of your feet or even on your toes. Your pants seam should be over your ankles from this view.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

Also, closer video from good angles will show… that you don't turn nearly as much as you could, and that you "over-use" your arms.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I would say, grip looks close to being a 10 finger grip. You can look on the forum here for a good grip thread. The ball is pretty far back in your stance. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

(edited)

Got my tripod and I'm back with the real views! Tried to adjust my setup and work on my posture, also went through some of the grip posts/videos and trying to get more in the fingers because I was definitely palming it before. Fewer slice/hook shots and better consistency, but shots were consistently going to the right of where I thought I was aiming. Change in grip felt weird at first like I was forcing the wrists forward, but feels a lot more natural now. I can probably get some more hip rotation still, felt easier with the weight shifted onto the toes, but looking at the videos it felt like I was rotating more than it looks like I actually was.

Edited by lmount

• Administrator

The arm structure isn't too bad, but… I'd really look at this topic:

Your weight is still going right for too long, and then never gets forward early enough at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

Trying to work on the hip rotation/sway a bit. Feel like I'm getting it better in the windup, but not getting rotated towards the target enough on the swing

30 minutes ago, lmount said:

Trying to work on the hip rotation/sway a bit. Feel like I'm getting it better in the windup, but not getting rotated towards the target enough on the swing

It’s related. Your hips stall out because your weight is back. I recommend the wall drill:

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
39 minutes ago, lmount said:

Trying to work on the hip rotation/sway a bit. Feel like I'm getting it better in the windup, but not getting rotated towards the target enough on the swinG

You need to do it at a speed where you can actually do it.

11 minutes ago, iacas said:

You need to do it at a speed where you can actually do it.

ie. slow the whole stroke down to practice getting the motion right?

18 minutes ago, billchao said:

It’s related. Your hips stall out because your weight is back. I recommend the wall drill:

Will give this one a try, thanks!

On 5/4/2023 at 3:47 PM, iacas said:

The arm structure isn't too bad, but… I'd really look at this topic:

Your weight is still going right for too long, and then never gets forward early enough at all.

Ah think I understand this better now and looking at it when I was trying to force the rotation - basically my weight is shifting towards the back foot for too long/waiting too late to shift forward, when I should be starting to move weight towards the front foot earlier in the backswing. Does that sound like what you were meaning by this? Thank you for the input!