IGNORED

Best Courses in Richmond Virginia

Maybe not the most popular travel destination for golfers, but some really great courses here. Recently played Kinloch - amazing course and unbelievably well kept. Played with a caddie which was great.  Also like the Federal Club and Country Club of Virginia. Independence is pretty good too.

• Like 1

• Administrator

I’ve played the Federal Club and also Royal New Kent. I don’t think the latter is all that close to Richmond, though.

@GolfLug and @DaveP043 can help you more here. Plus @woodzie264. And others.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I don’t think the latter is all that close to Richmond, though.

I thought it was close? Didn’t we stay in Richmond when we played there?

RNK is fine, but it’s definitely on the played it once, that’s enough list for me.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I would add Spring Creek in Gordonsville, Birdwood in Charlottesville and Golden Horseshoe and Kingsmill in Williamsburg as must plays. Not exactly Richmond but within an hour.

Royal New Kent in Providence Forge (about 45 mins from Richmond)  too of course, and I personally love it but calling it a bit quirky would be an understatement. @iacasand @billchaocan attest..😊

Viniterra, Mattaponi Springs and Potomac Shores are all within a earshot  of Richmond are all big boy courses.

@Lem Clevenger do you live around Richmond? I live in the Virginia Beach.

• Thumbs Up 1

Vishal S.

1 hour ago, Lem Clevenger said:

Yes - I am based in Richmond.

Ah gotcha. So we are preaching to the choir. Welcome to TST.

Vishal S.

11 hours ago, Lem Clevenger said:

Maybe not the most popular travel destination for golfers, but some really great courses here. Recently played Kinloch - amazing course and unbelievably well kept. Played with a caddie which was great.  Also like the Federal Club and Country Club of Virginia. Independence is pretty good too.

From reputation, Kinloch would be considered to be one of the best in Virginia, arguably the best. But as you as aware, Kinloch and CCV are both private and I’ve not played either.

If single, I’d apply for membership at Kinloch where I have a buddy who is a member there, but given the $60k+ initiation fee with no pool, gym, clubhouse for kids and wife to use, it’s not in the cards. Another private club I’d consider is Willow Oaks, less expensive and very nice.  

CCV is markedly more expensive, but nowhere near as nice as Kinloch from what I’ve been told. Again, not played there so I can’t speak to it. 

With regards to courses open to the public:

• the Federal Club is nice (only a few mins from my house) 
  • I really like Devil’s Knob atop Wintergreen
  • Although a shorter course, I love Old Trail in Crozet, hitting off their Zoysia is like playing off carpet.  Love it. 
  • As @GolfLug mentioned, Golden Horseshoe is nice and has history.
  • Spring Creek is nice, but too difficult for me. Not fun for someone of my ability. Fairways feel 20yds wide with rough 4” deep. of course the last time I played there was prob 10 years ago and I’d prob handle it better nowadays. 
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny