IGNORED

My Swing (Kalypso12)

kalypso12

Hello everyone!

it'd be great to hear some feedback/guidance.

I started with golf last year and sometimes I play relatively okay, sometimes not 🙂 I can struggle with almost anything except the distance.

I had a calf muscle repture 2 months ago and since then, my golf is worse. I cannot get into the the rhythm.

I think I do several major mistakes - inside takeaway and maybe a flat swing.

But not sure.

Is there any drill or anything you'd suggest? My swing from today is attached.

If there's any comment / idea / etc., I'll really appreciate it!

Thank you and have a nice day!

I've been Playing Golf for: 2 years
My current handicap index or average score is: 20.7
My typical ball flight is: cannot say, high trajectory, long, sometimes slices, pushes, hooks.
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: fat shot / thin shot lol

Videos: 

Edited by kalypso12
video wasnt attached

Welcome to The Sand Trap. Thanks for joining. I would help if you filmed your swing in slow motion and set up the camera as is discussed in the thread below. It is easier to see check points in the swing this way.

https://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

Welcome to The Sand Trap. Thanks for joining. I would help if you filmed your swing in slow motion and set up the camera as is discussed in the thread below. It is easier to see check points in the swing this way.

https://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

Thank you! I tried to keep that angle. The video is the best what I could do - next time, it could be better, at least I hope 🙂

6 minutes ago, kalypso12 said:

Thank you! I tried to keep that angle. The video is the best what I could do - next time, it could be better, at least I hope 🙂

Set a club down and frame the shot to it.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I would say is that when the club gets too inside on the take away, what it means for me is that I'm getting the club ahead of my body rotation.  You generally want your arms, hands and the club to stay in front of your body or "connected" to your body turn.  The arms, hands, and club, don't really rotate independently from your body's turn. 

image.thumb.png.f9b130ae3ae3e0b6750b0658485eded0.png

See how Max Homa keeps the club way more in front of him.

Next, we don't have a side view, but you are definitely coming off the ball and hanging back through your swing.  Your downswing pivot and turn needs a lot of work.  You're getting stuck, extending, etc, a lot is because you're not pivoting properly and rotating properly in the downswing.

Porzak describes how to do a better take away here:

Porzak caters to more of a lower handicap audience, but I like some of his explanations.  

If I were in your situation, and I had a lot of this stuff last year, I would start working on the takeaway, then the rest of the backswing.  Focused on keeping the arms connected to the front of the body and not swaying off the ball.  Without eliminating sway off the ball, it's impossible to eliminate fat/thin shots, have good rotation through the ball, and be consistent.  For me swaying leads to hooks/pushes and all other kids of issues.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, tickbomb said:

I would say is that when the club gets too inside on the take away, what it means for me is that I'm getting the club ahead of my body rotation.  You generally want your arms, hands and the club to stay in front of your body or "connected" to your body turn.  The arms, hands, and club, don't really rotate independently from your body's turn. 

image.thumb.png.f9b130ae3ae3e0b6750b0658485eded0.png

See how Max Homa keeps the club way more in front of him.

Next, we don't have a side view, but you are definitely coming off the ball and hanging back through your swing.  Your downswing pivot and turn needs a lot of work.  You're getting stuck, extending, etc, a lot is because you're not pivoting properly and rotating properly in the downswing.

Porzak describes how to do a better take away here:

Porzak caters to more of a lower handicap audience, but I like some of his explanations.  

If I were in your situation, and I had a lot of this stuff last year, I would start working on the takeaway, then the rest of the backswing.  Focused on keeping the arms connected to the front of the body and not swaying off the ball.  Without eliminating sway off the ball, it's impossible to eliminate fat/thin shots, have good rotation through the ball, and be consistent.  For me swaying leads to hooks/pushes and all other kids of issues.

Thank you very much! I checked the video and will try to work on it tomorrow morning 🙂

Hello guys,

I know I still struggle a bit with the angle and with the video - ordered a tripod, so I hope I'll be able to record better angles next time 🙂

I tried something with the takeaway, check the Porzak video and here are the 9 iron & driver swings.

I think for 9 iron, the takeaway is better, for driver, it's still a lot inside & rolling takeaway.

Thoughts?

Have a nice day!

• Administrator

Golf, you'll find, is full of things that takes weeks or months, not a few swings, to truly change.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

Golf, you'll find, is full of things that takes weeks or months, not a few swings, to truly change.

Yeah, that's what I expect 🙂 Just want to be on the right trajectory.

• Administrator
Just now, kalypso12 said:

Yeah, that's what I expect 🙂 Just want to be on the right trajectory.

Then don't do it at full speed.

You're better off making Grade "A" swings at whatever speed is necessary than a bunch of "C" swings.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

Then don't do it at full speed.

You're better off making Grade "A" swings at whatever speed is necessary than a bunch of "C" swings.

Yup, today I tried to swing like 70-80 % power & speed. Sometimes even less, was focused on the takeaway angles and staying connected.

I understand that like as in any other sport, if you can't do it correctly in slower speed, it's not possible to do it full speed.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, kalypso12 said:

if you can't do it correctly

image.jpeg

Is this "correctly"?

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

image.jpeg

Is this "correctly"?

It's not, I just tried to be better than before 🙂

What do you exactly mean with those lines? Early extension?  Pull shot?

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, kalypso12 said:

It's not, I just tried to be better than before 🙂

What do you exactly mean with those lines? Early extension?  Pull shot?

Just trying to quasi-correct the camera view. Club is still way inside.

28 minutes ago, iacas said:

Just trying to quasi-correct the camera view. Club is still way inside.

Hmmm, with driver yes, definitely. With 9 iron - first swing in the vid, I hope it could be a bit better...

image.png.a9f302f35f5c8b5eabf6f4e6a3146a41.png

1 hour ago, kalypso12 said:

Hmmm, with driver yes, definitely. With 9 iron - first swing in the vid, I hope it could be a bit better...

image.png.a9f302f35f5c8b5eabf6f4e6a3146a41.png

You are still rolling the club.  At this point the club should still be in front of your chest:

Screenshot2023-05-28at6_31_07PM.thumb.png.0461619c6145c7084a0a67eefed37559.png

Look at your hands and club position vs homa:

Screenshot2023-05-28at6_35_08PM.thumb.png.c1017715d826ac70903aaa6fca5d5f05.png

Your hands are still in front of your chest, but your club is behind you.  The take away and back swing are about syncing the body turn, arms, and club so everything stays in front of your chest.  If things get unsync'ed then you have to resync things later which is impossible.  Keeping the arms, hands, and club connected to your body is important.  That's partially why you have a ton of down stream swing issues causing you to throw your arms at the ball in an attempt for the club to catch up etc.

Practice in a mirror every day for 2 months keeping the arms, club, and body connected in rotation.

• Administrator
56 minutes ago, tickbomb said:

Screenshot2023-05-28at6_31_07PM.thumb.png.0461619c6145c7084a0a67eefed37559.png

I guess these players all stink (below).

@tickbomb, you can't just look at Max Homa and say "this is how you do it."

It doesn't seem as though you're considering the hand path from 1-2, what the wrist conditions are at that point, the right elbow bend… not to mention just how early this is in the swing.

I've had players roll the hell out of the club from 1-2, but some of them find a way to get it to the top without much momentum carrying them in a bad direction, so I don't touch it. It's not relevant… or at least not in the top six things they might need to worry about.

Scott and Tiger in 1999 at Medinah.

01.jpg

Baddeley and Hogan

02.jpg

Brandt and Charley

03.jpg

Grant and Dufner

04.jpg

Kupcho and Mac

05.jpg

P.S. I'm reluctant to really share an opinion of what I think, because we don't have good slow-mo videos (relatively close) from good DL and FO camera angles.

44 minutes ago, iacas said:

I guess these players all stink (below).

@tickbomb, you can't just look at Max Homa and say "this is how you do it."

It doesn't seem as though you're considering the hand path from 1-2, what the wrist conditions are at that point, the right elbow bend… not to mention just how early this is in the swing.

I've had players roll the hell out of the club from 1-2, but some of them find a way to get it to the top without much momentum carrying them in a bad direction, so I don't touch it. It's not relevant… or at least not in the top six things they might need to worry about.

Scott and Tiger in 1999 at Medinah.

01.jpg

Baddeley and Hogan

02.jpg

Brandt and Charley

03.jpg

Grant and Dufner

04.jpg

Kupcho and Mac

05.jpg

P.S. I'm reluctant to really share an opinion of what I think, because we don't have good slow-mo videos (relatively close) from good DL and FO camera angles.

Honourable mention.

image.thumb.png.fc0495da0414f8e2f5e5469fccc92b22.png