IGNORED

Harbour Town Golf Links

I will be traveling to Hilton Head for a family vacation in about a month and have a tee time booked to play Harbour Town. I'm looking forward to it as this will be the first course I've played that has hosted a PGA Tour event.

A couple things I'm trying to decide are which tees to play from and if I want to take a full caddie or just the forecaddie that is mandatory.

The blue tees are 6,681 and I would have no problem with that length on a normal course near me, but the 73.4/144 rating is quite a bit higher than I'm used to and feels a bit intimidating based on some of the writeups I've read so far about the course. The white tees are 6,253 and 71.4/136 which is much more in line with what I typically play in terms of rating. I'd rather enjoy the course over getting my teeth kicked in so not even considering the back tees.

Even with someone else carrying my bag, the thought of walking 18 holes in August doesn't sound all that appealing, so even though it's cart path only I still think I'm leaning towards the forecaddie and riding in a cart. Would be nice to have a space for drinks, towels, some shade, etc.

Has anyone played it before? If so, thoughts? 

I think the plan is for my wife to drop me off before the round then have her and my son come back over and we all hang out around The Sea Pines area the rest of the day after the round. Would love any advice or recommendations for food, shopping, etc too. 

Edited by klineka

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@DaveP043 and I went to Hilton Head together earlier this year. We didn’t play Harbour Town, though, so I won’t be much help there.

I would recommend checking out the actual harbor area down there. There were a bunch of little shops in the area that we didn’t get to spend too much time at, but we did have a beer on the second floor of a restaurant right by the lighthouse with a great view across the water to the 18th hole.

Are you looking for food recommendations right in the Sea Pines area or just in Hilton Head in general?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

45 minutes ago, billchao said:

Are you looking for food recommendations right in the Sea Pines area or just in Hilton Head in general?

I'll take any recommendations if you have them. I've never been to the area and my wife has only been once.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

55 minutes ago, klineka said:

I'll take any recommendations if you have them. I've never been to the area and my wife has only been once.

I hope you like seafood 😃

Scott’s Fish Market was pretty good. It’s pretty much in the middle of the island right on the marina where you can see boats that cost more than your house. The place smelled like fried fish as soon as you walk in the door. I got the seafood platter and everything was perfectly cooked. Also they made pretty good Bloody Mary’s.

Fishcamp on Broad Creek was also another hit in my book. I’m trying to remember what I ate there. I think it was the seafood pasta. I know the hush puppies were good.

For breakfast stuff I recommend Hilton Head Social Bakery. Classic French pastries and croissants. They have two locations and the one by Scott’s was closed when I went because it was the off-season, but their South location is pretty close to the entrance to Sea Pines.

The other place that really sticks out in my head is The Cottage which is in Old Bluffton, so it’s not on the island. It’s a breakfast and brunch place. I think they close in the early afternoon. It’s an old small house someone converted into a restaurant and it’s got quite a lot of character. I got shrimp and grits there which were delicious, but did not partake in any of their pastries or cakes.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/27/2023 at 8:34 AM, klineka said:

I will be traveling to Hilton Head for a family vacation in about a month and have a tee time booked to play Harbour Town. I'm looking forward to it as this will be the first course I've played that has hosted a PGA Tour event.

A couple things I'm trying to decide are which tees to play from and if I want to take a full caddie or just the forecaddie that is mandatory.

The blue tees are 6,681 and I would have no problem with that length on a normal course near me, but the 73.4/144 rating is quite a bit higher than I'm used to and feels a bit intimidating based on some of the writeups I've read so far about the course. The white tees are 6,253 and 71.4/136 which is much more in line with what I typically play in terms of rating. I'd rather enjoy the course over getting my teeth kicked in so not even considering the back tees.

Even with someone else carrying my bag, the thought of walking 18 holes in August doesn't sound all that appealing, so even though it's cart path only I still think I'm leaning towards the forecaddie and riding in a cart. Would be nice to have a space for drinks, towels, some shade, etc.

Has anyone played it before? If so, thoughts? 

I think the plan is for my wife to drop me off before the round then have her and my son come back over and we all hang out around The Sea Pines area the rest of the day after the round. Would love any advice or recommendations for food, shopping, etc too. 

I played Harbour Town several yrs ago with 3 other guys.  We were there on a business trip, but made time for golf.  It remains my favorite course I've ever played.  We rode in carts but had a forecaddie for the group.  He was awesome!  It's amazing how after a few swings he knows how far you hit each club.  Be prepared to tip him (I think we tipped him $100 each).

We played one teebox up from the tips. If/when I go back I'll probably play the same tees because even though my Hcp is lower, I don't hit as far as I used to.

Luis

I have a good friend who is a Member there and he says, you should play the white tees.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

12 hours ago, klineka said:

Back from the trip, enjoyed the trip and the golf course overall.

@billchao Thanks for the food recommendations, we did try Scott's Fish Market one night, it was great. I got a shrimp pasta and it was one of my favorite meals of the week.

My wife and son went to the Hilton Head Social Bakery inside Sea Pines after they dropped me off at the golf course. They enjoyed that as well.

You’re welcome! I’m glad you enjoyed my recommendations. Sounds like you guys had a great trip.

I'd be happy to give additional recommendations too if anyone wants any.

I’m sure I’ll hit you up at some point in the future. I will be going back.

Outside of the par 3s, the rest of the holes were pretty good, but not great or jaw dropping in my opinion. The par 4s and 5s blended together and didn't have a whole lot that made them stand out in my mind.

When I was researching the courses for my trip, this was kind of the feeling that I got from all the serious reviews of the course. It’s just not particularly special, save for a few holes. Given the price to play, it was a fairly easy decision to skip it. I’m sure I’ll play it one day just to check it off the list but it’s not a course I feel like I have to play.

Bill

My Swing Thread