IGNORED

The Scarlet Course (The Ohio State University Golf Club)

On August 8th, 2023, I played 18 with @iacas at the Scarlet Course in Columbus, Ohio. 

Designed by Alister McKenzie (1938) and renovated by Jack Nicklaus (2006). McKenzie designed it in 1931, construction was completed in 1938. I read that this was due to The Great Depression, and that the building of the course was part of a project to get people jobs. The construction was overseen by Perry Maxwell, a founding member of the American Society of Golf Course Architects. Which makes sense since the two (McKenzie and Maxwell) met in 1919 during a visit to Scotland. They would team up to create a few golf courses in the USA. Per Jack's website, he restored the bunkers and lengthened the course out to 7455 yards. 

Having gone to Augusta National, once to watch The Masters, the similarities end with the bunkers. Very deep, and grandiose in nature. You get this right of the bat on hole #1. A good size par 4 with a slight bend to the right. Two massive bunkers are situated at the corner daring people to shave off a few yards. The green is guarded by 3 deep bunkers. The size and scope of the bunkers really plays tricks with depth perception off the tee. It does seem like the course was built to fit the land. In that the tee boxes are not elevated much above the fairway, and same with the greens. With the greens being close to the next tee boxes, this made the course very walkable, which we did. 

Overall, the course was well maintained. I think they punched the greens a few weeks ago, but they still rolled true and had good speed to them. The bunkers were really good, which was nice to see. A criticism of the course, maybe it was because we played the scarlet tees that day, the par 3's where around the same playable yardage. It would have been nice to have a bit nice if the tee boxes were set up to not hit 9-iron into three of the four par 3's. Also, being that so many people walk the course, the lack of water on the course was disappointing. 

Overall, I would give it an 8/10. A very fair, and fun golf course to play. As I mentioned elsewhere, I plan on paying for my Alumni Association Membership so I can come down and play this course a few times a year. 

Here are some photo's...

Scarlet#1.jpg

Scarlet#2.jpg

Scarlet#3.jpg

Scarlet#4.jpg

Scarlet#5.jpg

Scarlet#6.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• saevel25 changed the title to The Scarlet Course (The Ohio State University Golf Club)

Sweet. 

Nice looking place. Is the Grey course as nice?

BTW - That's less than 30 minutes from my house if you ever need a fourth.... 😁

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

25 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Sweet. 

The Grey Course, to my surprise, look less impressive. It probably is in good shape. It is only 5800 yards par 70. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

2 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Sweet. 

Back off!! I already called dibs in the 5 minute daily practice topic 🤣🤣

Just kidding of course. But I really do want to play it sometime too.

Those pictures look great. 

I've driven by it a few times and the depth of the bunkers always stood out from what I could see from the road.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

• Administrator

@klineka and @ChetlovesMer, @saevel25 came at my invitation. He didn't not invite you. I didn't. 😉

But, as he found out, he can bring guests and play six times a year as an alumni.

So all future non-invitations are on him. 😄 

• Funny 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

12 minutes ago, iacas said:

@klineka and @ChetlovesMer, @saevel25 came at my invitation. He didn't not invite you. I didn't. 😉

But, as he found out, he can bring guests and play six times a year as an alumni.

So all future non-invitations are on him. 😄 

I joined the Alumni Association back in 1988. I was not aware that I can play there 6 times per year. Great info.

8 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Sweet. 

Scarlett:

image.png.de3c842b05119e1d4103f3ea22e71232.png

Gray:

image.png.4a1c15f287aabc9b71290567f29c4d22.png

I played the Gray course a few times back in the 1980's as a student and only the Scarlet once. The Gray course has one men's tee (5,800 yards) and one women's. 

Can't believe how many tees the Scarlet has and it stretches to a very nice 7,455 yards.

1 hour ago, Carl3 said:

I joined the Alumni Association back in 1988. I was not aware that I can play there 6 times per year. Great info.

I’ll throw my name in the lottery.

• Thumbs Up 1

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold)