IGNORED

Future Pro: Miles Russell Age 15

StuM

• Administrator
Just now, StuM said:

But he has talent and maybe it happens. 

So do a few thousand others. 😉

Something like 14 players born in any year will have PGA Tour status for 3+ years. What drew you to this? He's not from where you live, right? Family friend?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

What am I missing? Does he have an interesting back-story? Is he super unique in some way?

Slight digression on the way to my point. Back in the day there were a lot of people who said that Tiger won because of “the Tiger effect” where people pushed too hard and made mistakes trying to catch him and fell by the wayside. I thought that was BS. It was just that he was that much better than them. I don’t think anything has changed my mind on that. 

The hype about Miles Russell is very limited. I’ve seen nothing about him outside of some fairly hardcore golf websites. But I think that the reason those people are talking about him is because he is very good. Same as Tiger. And like I said he just broke one of Tiger’s records. That gets hardcore golf fans to pay attention. 

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

So do a few thousand others. 😉

Something like 14 players born in any year will have PGA Tour status for 3+ years. What drew you to this? He's not from where you live, right? Family friend?

Just stumbled onto the article.  Totally random and thought it might be interested to hear other thoughts.

maybe I am tired of all the LIV crap and  this just caught my attention.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Ty_Webb said:

The hype about Miles Russell is very limited. I’ve seen nothing about him outside of some fairly hardcore golf websites. But I think that the reason those people are talking about him is because he is very good. Same as Tiger. And like I said he just broke one of Tiger’s records. That gets hardcore golf fans to pay attention. 

Eh.

He broke ONE of Tiger's records. Youngest to be ranked #1 in AJGA. It didn't help that Tiger's birthday is in late December, or that Tiger didn't play many AJGA events before he was 15.

Did he do any of these things?

TIGER WOODS' AMATEUR VICTORIES

YEAR WIN(S)
1984 10-and- under Junior World Golf Championships Boys   
1985 10-and- under Junior World Golf Championships Boys   
1988 Boy's 11-12 Junior World Golf Championships  
1989 Boy's 13-14 Junior World Golf Championships  
1990 Boy's 13-14 Junior World Golf Championships, Insurance Youth Golf Classic  
1991 U.S. Junior Amateur, Boys 15–17 Junior World Golf Championships, Orange Bowl International Junior

Look at some other AJGA Players of the Year. How many of these names do you recognize? A few, for sure.

I assure y'all, I'm not trying to pee in your Cheerios. I just don't get what the point is.

5 minutes ago, StuM said:

Just stumbled onto the article.  Totally random and thought it might be interested to hear other thoughts.

maybe I am tired of all the LIV crap and  this just caught my attention.

Okay. I get that, then. Thanks.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator
2 hours ago, theworldengine said:

He would definitely not be top 5 in a LIV event

LIV stinks.

Not sure what your point was, though, except to be a LIV stan yet again?

56 minutes ago, iacas said:

LIV stinks.

Not sure what your point was, though, except to be a LIV stan yet again?

Here I am trying to make a positive statement about LIV, but you reflexively reply with hate in the first line lol

• Like 1

• Administrator
1 hour ago, theworldengine said:

Here I am trying to make a positive statement about LIV, but you reflexively reply with hate in the first line lol

It's not a reflex.

LIV is still being funded by people with a horrible human rights record in an attempt to sportswash. It's silly golf, and nobody really watches it.

You're commenting on a 15-year-old who just finished 20th or whatever in a KFT event… with an off-topic pro-LIV comment.

Four pretty impressive rounds from the kid. Even Saturday after being four over through three he wound up -1 for the day. Youngest ever kft cut maker. I think only tianlang wotsit has made a cut on pga tour at a younger age. I do note that I haven’t heard of him since then so being good at 14 doesn’t necessarily correlate with being good at 25. I will still be paying attention to Miles. Let’s see how he does

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Ty_Webb said:

I do note that I haven’t heard of him since

Thank you for making my point.

Good luck to him in defying the odds.

Only 1 weekend but he made use of the sponsor’s exemption.  Time will tell.

Miles Russell, who is the youngest player on record with a top-25 finish on either the PGA Tour or...

Stuart M.

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

(edited)
On 4/19/2024 at 1:47 PM, iacas said:

I'd bet against him having much success as a pro, because of, you know… the odds. You don't want to be the best 15-year-old in the game. You want to be the best 25-year-old in the game.

It is interesting how unpredictable it is on who will make it. I remember all of the people who I thought were great players like Ty Tryon, James Oh, Christo Greyling, Ryan Hybl. None of them got very far at all.  It is also interesting to see the number of small school guys that weren't prominent junior players and just decent college players who end up having long careers in professional golf.  Dustin Johnson is from the same era and I don't remember ever hearing his name even once.

Edited by GolfSwami

The kid did good. More than likely we will forget about him just like we forgot about Michael Block, Nick Dunlap, Anthony Kim. The story now is Nelly and Scottie.  

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 Fairway  :titleist: TSR 4 Hy. T-300 5-PW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:scotty_cameron: Newport Select 2 (2022 model) 

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22

• 2 weeks later...

On the subject of teenagers in professional tournaments there is a kid (Kris Kim) who is a member of my club in England and is at my old school. He’s 16. He’s playing in the pga tour event in Texas this week. Shot 69 yesterday for T31 and is -2 today through 5 holes. T55 and on the cut line. I really hope he makes the cut. Will be awesome. 

His dad I believe is a teaching pro and his mum was on the LPGA Tour for a while. 

On 5/3/2024 at 4:58 PM, Ty_Webb said:

On the subject of teenagers in professional tournaments there is a kid (Kris Kim) who is a member of my club in England and is at my old school. He’s 16. He’s playing in the pga tour event in Texas this week. Shot 69 yesterday for T31 and is -2 today through 5 holes. T55 and on the cut line. I really hope he makes the cut. Will be awesome. 

His dad I believe is a teaching pro and his mum was on the LPGA Tour for a while. 

I read about him.  Hopefully we have a good “Next Generation” in PGAT future

Stuart M.