IGNORED

Issue With Finger Aiming on Short Putts

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Your fingers haven’t gone on the same part of the hole for about a decade though.

No entiendo! Sorry, language barrier 😉

Came back home and numbers are in... I messured 2 fingers from 3 and 9 feet from the ground, from standing up and kneeling. 

image.png.1e62f091c1553f94c0663fe9a4b9bd51.png

The clear winner is kneeling. It respected perfectlly the 3 times less "break" from 9 feet to 3 feet.
Standing tall gave more break than needed on shorter putts by a big margin and at ball heigth is closer but not exactly rigth on the lower side. This is because, despite the eyes are at ball heigth, the extended arm changes the distances a little bit. The longer the arm, the taller you can be when usign your fingers and the shorter it get closer to the ground messure.

If you aim with your fingers inside 10 feet don't belive me. Do your own test and see how it goes and make your own conclusion to help your game. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, p1n9183 said:

No entiendo! Sorry, language barrier 😉

Came back home and numbers are in... I messured 2 fingers from 3 and 9 feet from the ground, from standing up and kneeling. 

The clear winner is kneeling. It respected perfectlly the 3 times less "break" from 9 feet to 3 feet.
Standing tall gave more break than needed on shorter putts by a big margin and at ball heigth is closer but not exactly rigth on the lower side. This is because, despite the eyes are at ball heigth, the extended arm changes the distances a little bit. The longer the arm, the taller you can be when usign your fingers and the shorter it get closer to the ground messure.

If you aim with your fingers inside 10 feet don't belive me. Do your own test and see how it goes and make your own conclusion to help your game. 

I don’t care if your make % from inside 10’ is 100%, if I see you reading the green on your knees I’m going to make fun of you 😜

• Funny 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

The last Aimpoint I received last year was as follows:

from 4' (used to be 6')

• 1% is inside the cup:
  • 2% is 1" outside the cup:
  • 3% is 3" out of the cup

• Thumbs Up 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• Administrator
3 hours ago, p1n9183 said:

I don’t understand how standing is smaller than ball height or kneeling.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

17 hours ago, billchao said:

if I see you reading the green on your knees I’m going to make fun of you 😜

Most of people does it! (but none over the ball) Gave it time.. Hehe... 

Funny story... almost a decade ago I started to aim 3..4 fingers away from penalty hazards on long shots. At 270 yards, each finger is around 10 yards sideways (I got to that number experimenting at my home course and using google maps). Been my dispersion around 70/80 yards this almost put the penalty hazard out of play for me. But most importantly I found a way to measure distance sideways on a golf course. 
Of course till today everybody ask me what am I doing with my fingers on tee shots, even on approach shots. 
Last year, playing a mid-Am I was paired up with a guy with a caddie, the caddie was his friend but also a decent golf PRO. After a couple of holes he asked me what I was doing and he pulled out his phone to show me an app or "system" that can be purchased were it tells you how much a finger is in yards from different distances. Of course if I could figure out how to measure distance sideways in a golf course many people can do the same and make it a trend an even sell it so... you never know!

16 hours ago, dennyjones said:

The last Aimpoint I received last year was as follows:

from 4' (used to be 6')

• 1% is inside the cup:
  • 2% is 1" outside the cup:
  • 3% is 3" out of the cup

Thanks for the info. The patch is getting worse... more accurate but less intuitive to follow. I rather look funny doing aimpoint on my knee and just use 1 simple formula than using this patch. 

14 hours ago, iacas said:

I don’t understand how standing is smaller than ball height or kneeling.

I invite you to measure it yourself, don't trust my numbers. Even your arm length, height and finger width are going to change the numbers.

Over the 3 footer was clear that my fingers were farther away from the hole standing up than the others. (even with the arm stretch issue i will explain in the next paragraph)

Over the 9 footer I agree with you that it should be the longest of the 3 but in practice it wasn't.
My best guess is the arm position on each set up. Standing tall the arm is in front of the body aiming a little down, really easy to stretch. Kneeling, because of my spine been tilted forward (20/30°)  the arm is aiming to the front but more up been a little harder to stretch. Laying on the floor the arm is pointing over the shoulders making it even harder to stretch. The less the arm is stretched, the less distance the fingers are from the eyes resulting in bigger results. At this distance it started to matter, but not on shorter ones.     

FWIW I just measured a 2% slope on my practice green at 9 feet and it was 9-10" of break from the center of the cup. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood
Irons: :titleist: U505 (3)  :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :titleist: ProV1x Left Dash

• Administrator

I invite you to measure it yourself, don't trust my numbers. Even your arm length, height and finger width are going to change the numbers.

You misread. Knee height should be between ball height and standing. Trigonometry.

If you are changing the length of your arm for each of them then the trial is pointless. No?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 5/23/2024 at 4:42 PM, iacas said:

If you are changing the length of your arm for each of them then the trial is pointless. No?

I'm not but each posture let the arm extend different amounts because of the angle in relationship to your torso. The idea is to use only one method to be consistent.
Besides that, you need to use different lengths of the arm in the same positions to account for different green speeds.

Personally I never used aimpoint, I use fingers just to measure lateral dispersion, even on putts. It was a good "discovery" to see that the closer to the hole you are, the less the finger system works.    

• Administrator

I'm not but each posture let the arm extend different amounts because of the angle in relationship to your torso. The idea is to use only one method to be consistent.

That's beside the point. It rendered the thing moot. Kneeling should be mid-way between standing and "ball height."