IGNORED

My Driver Is Cracked?

Note: This thread is 755 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So, I'm cleaning my clubs. As I'm wiping down my Cobra Radspeed Driver I can feel a ridge where there shouldn't be a ridge. I look closer and I think it's either cracked or the layers are starting to separate. 
It's very noticeable in "real life". I tried to capture it in these pictures.

461307322_Driverpic1.thumb.jpg.bc2c6d7f6960732db6e72669cac29fee.jpg1036479090_driverpic2.thumb.jpg.9f01d76f58472fc22b2d5636181f2288.jpg

I'm pretty sure I didn't cause this damage as I have never thrown the club, or even slammed it on the ground in any way. Also, the part that's cracking is raised up, not smashed in. Which makes me think the layers are separating or something to that effect. I really didn't notice any performance difference when hitting it last. But, I'm frustrated for three reasons. One, I always take really good care of my clubs. The driver especially has never been without its headcover for more than a few minutes. Two, I really like this driver. And three, It looks like this is one of those things that will only get worse as time goes by. 

Anyone know, is this something Cobra needs to replace, or am I screwed here? 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Okay, quick update. 

I went on Cobra's website and sure enough there was a place to submit warranty issues with an explanation and up to 4 pictures. 
So, I submitted my photos and information and I'll see what they come back to me with. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

So, I'm cleaning my clubs. As I'm wiping down my Cobra Radspeed Driver I can feel a ridge where there shouldn't be a ridge. I look closer and I think it's either cracked or the layers are starting to separate. 
It's very noticeable in "real life". I tried to capture it in these pictures.

461307322_Driverpic1.thumb.jpg.bc2c6d7f6960732db6e72669cac29fee.jpg1036479090_driverpic2.thumb.jpg.9f01d76f58472fc22b2d5636181f2288.jpg

I'm pretty sure I didn't cause this damage as I have never thrown the club, or even slammed it on the ground in any way. Also, the part that's cracking is raised up, not smashed in. Which makes me think the layers are separating or something to that effect. I really didn't notice any performance difference when hitting it last. But, I'm frustrated for three reasons. One, I always take really good care of my clubs. The driver especially has never been without its headcover for more than a few minutes. Two, I really like this driver. And three, It looks like this is one of those things that will only get worse as time goes by. 

Dang. Maybe they should have used Carbon Thick-Ply Wrap.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

2 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Dang. Maybe they should have used Carbon Thick-Ply Wrap.

That's what I thought! 

Good luck.   Someone in my Sunday game cracked his RocketBallz driver and got one of the Sim drivers.

—Adam

No one ever cracks THE HAMMER! POW!

• Funny 3

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Years ago I cracked a Great Big Bertha. Sent it back , and they sent me a newer version. Unfortunately, I never hit the new one as good. 

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

No one ever cracks THE HAMMER! POW!

Okay, I'd totally buy the Hammer ... BUT, I play far too many holes that are under 500 yards and I'd have to club down to a 3 wood or hybrid or something. Plus, that sound of the jet plane flying over every time you hit it just gets annoying. 

BAM! 

hammer.gif.cfcab84590c51cb316b4ff2d9807fda5.gif

• Funny 1

4 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I snapped the shaft on my King F9 driver and Cobra immediately shipped out a new shaft, no questions asked. I expect you should get a replacement head.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

• Administrator

I expect that Cobra will take care of you.

Keep us updated, though, please.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

26 minutes ago, iacas said:

Keep us updated, though, please.

I sure will.

I'm assuming its the awesome power of my swing I've developed since taking lessons. 😁

Well, Cobra got back to me. Here's what they said: 

Thank you for submitting a warranty claim, please follow the instructions below.

We will be replacing this with: SAME

1. You'll receive a prepaid shipping label from Fedex.com. These labels come as an e-mail with a PDF attachment, so please check your Spam or Junk Folders if you don't see the label in the next 2-3hrs.

2. Please box up the club head only (Do not include the shaft).  On the side of the box, write RW -***** - in big bold letters. 

3. Drop the package off at the nearest Fedex facility/dropbox for transit

From the time your club(s) are received we strive to get a repair or replacement shipped back to you within 7-12 business days (Transit time will vary based on your location). 

Thank you for choosing Cobra Puma Golf.

So, I got my Fed-Ex label. I've packed up my club head as instructed. Put the RW number on the side, affixed my Fed-Ex label, and now I'm heading off to my local Fed-Ex Drop off. 

I'll update when I get the next communication from Cobra. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Next Update:
Okay, my driver head is on it's way back to Cobra. I have a Fed-Ex number. 
Cobra sent me another email saying that they strive to resolve all warranty claims in 10 business days or fewer. So, we shall see. 

2 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Next Update:
Okay, my driver head is on it's way back to Cobra. I have a Fed-Ex number. 
Cobra sent me another email saying that they strive to resolve all warranty claims in 10 business days or fewer. So, we shall see. 

What a waste of time! I didn't see anything wrong that couldn't have been fixed with some good ol' JB Weld!

Be interesting to hear how quickly they get the replacement back to you.

50 minutes ago, Zippo said:

What a waste of time! I didn't see anything wrong that couldn't have been fixed with some good ol' JB Weld!

I was thinking duct tape. but what ever...🤪

I thought I'd provide an update.

The update is it still hasn't gotten back to Cobra yet. 
I sent the head back on March 4th via Fed-ex. I just tracked the package and it says delivery by the end of the day today. 

Man, I remember the days when Fed-Ex would deliver inside a week. 😢

1 minute ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Man, I remember the days when Fed-Ex would deliver inside a week. 😢

FedEx recently gave a package for me a bit of a tour.  Ontario Canada Feb 24, to Michigan Feb 26, arrived in Kansas City March 1 (two hour drive from me), to Sacramento CA March 2, to Colorado March 4, Kansas City area (again) March 5, delivered March 6.

I didn't order any priority shipping--just the lowest rate, and it wasn't particularly urgent for me, but when I saw it was being shipped away from me, I was wondering if it would end up lost.

• Thumbs Up 1

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

• 3 weeks later...

Update.

I got a new head for my driver yesterday. 

A couple of things:

1. Fed Ex took forever. Cobra turned it around in 10 days. Which is how long they told me it would take (actually they said a week to 10 days). Fed Ex took a week to get it to them (even though the label said 2-3 days). It took Fed-Ex 8 days to get it back to me (again, the label said 2-3 days). So all told, I shipped it out on the 4th and got it back on the 29th. Which feels like a lifetime to be without a driver. 
  2. My only real complaint with Cobra is I sent them the Navy/Red head and they sent me back the Black/Yellow head. It's a nice looking head, don't get me wrong. But it's not blue. As a rule I prefer blue. 
  3. I had a golf trip this past weekend. So, I had to pick up a new driver. I got a fitted for a Cobra LTDx. I took the head from that and stuck it on my existing shaft. So, I now have a brand new Cobra RadSpeed Head and a brand new Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.0 shaft. Which I will take some pictures of and stick on our marketplace here, to see if anyone is interested in it. 

Overall, I'm mostly annoyed with Fed-Ex. Cobra told me it would take 7 to 10 days. It took 10. Ugh, but fine. Fed-Ex, however, put 2-3 days on the labels and it took 7 going out and 8 coming back. Which to me feels like an eternity. If it said 7-10 on the label, I'd be like "Okay, that sucks. But okay." When it says 2-3, I'm like WTF? 

Note: This thread is 755 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!