IGNORED

Conundrum

Kaika

Hi guys. I have a conundrum. I am 73 years old. I hit my Cobra Driver about 180. I cut it down to 44.5 inches. My problem is I cannot hit anything but straight and consistent but as you can see ,No distance. Don't get me wrong, I don't expect 250 ,but I would like to be around 200.

Question is ,should I try a different driver or just go with the consistancy.

Thanx

Welcome to The Sand Trap!  :beer:

Without knowing more about you and your game, its impossible to give good advice.  Its possible that you can improve your swing mechanics and gain some distance.  A first step might be to post videos here at https://thesandtrap.com/forums/forum/13-member-swings/

Be sure to read the links about how to capture good video, You could try one of the swing speed programs like the Stack System.  Both swing mechanics work and swing speed improvement will take a good bit of effort on your part, so are not for everyone.  And of course equipment changes CAN produce more distance, but there's no guarantee.  You might try to find a way to demo some different clubs, at a large golf store, or if a manufacturer offers a demo day at a nearby course.  Make sure to get some baseline swings with your own driver to compare to whatever you test.  

And again, welcome to TST.  Please fill out your profile with a bit more information, choose an avatar (photo) for your account, and feel free to join in any of the discussions here!

• Thumbs Up 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

I think 180 at 73 is pretty good. You could go to a driver fitting but you may find that you’re getting almost all you can out of what you have.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I think 180 at 73 is pretty good. You could go to a driver fitting but you may find that you’re getting almost all you can out of what you have.

I agree with this.  At 68, my carry distance gradually decreased to a little over 200 yards.  I DID demo days last summer with TaylorMade and Callaway, and nothing gave me more than 3 or 4 yards, not worth the $600 or so.  I DID do the Stack over the fall and winter, and regained about 15 to 20 yards before my back issues this spring.  But as I mentioned in my first post, that takes a lot of effort, not to mention the cost of the equipment itself.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Yea, most drivers today are pretty close to the same. Some might be better than others on off-center strikes maintaining ball speed. Maybe a different brand might let you average more distance, but not give you more peak distance. 

You could always do a driver fitting and see what works out, but Father Time waits for no one sadly. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

An obvious solution to your conundrum:

037B234F-780C-4FEB-91E5-51FDE132A7E1.thumb.jpeg.3c36a47a3079733e3f46ffeb3ebe97e2.jpeg😉😁

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• iacas changed the title to Conundrum