IGNORED

A Decibel Meter as a Free Speed Meter?

Yesterday I installed a free decibel meter in my smartphone, put it on the floor and made swings with my 6 iron without a ball. 
Also set the PRGR (speed meter) to have something to compare. 

The PRGR was giving me numbers around 90 miles per hour, the decibel meter was around 30 without a swing and jumped to 85 with the woosh of the club. 
If the whoosh of the club gets louder when you swing it faster, can a decibel meter be used as a cheep way to compare speed from one swing to another, even be used for speed training?  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

No. You would have to be so precise with the distance and angles and what exact club you swung and the location and so so so so much.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Remember that you are measuring sound, sound waves have speed that goes in all directions. The attenuation of sound at 20°C is around 3 decibels if you are 1 meter from were the sound is created. Just set a coin on the ground and swing over it towards the same direction. You are going to have just a few cm between each swing, so attenuation is not going to be a variable.

Of course you are going to have different measures if you use different clubs! the idea is to use the same club and figure out how to swinging it faster to create more whoosh to get a higher decibel mark. 
For location of course is better at nights were is calmer and you don't have noise from the outside. 

I took the time to test it a little bit and the decibels went up and down as the PRGR also went up and down with the different swing speed I tested. 

What other things you think can mess with the readings?  

You don't need to build an algorithm if you can build a table with PRGR and decibel readings. I proper statistician can provide better guidance but Im guessing you need hundreds of readings for each club to establish a d decibel to speed curve.

Vishal S.

A much better use of the free Decibel Meter is to see how loud your amps are when you crank them and rock out!!! I try to keep it below 90dB (emphasis on ‘try’ 😉).

I think there are too many other variables to consider using sound. You would have to set up a designed experiment with randomized runs and block variables to really see if it’s worth the effect. I can see the following variables in addition to the normal swing speed variables:

Temperature, Humidity, wind speed, time (as in how long the experiment has been running), repetitions, angle and elevation of the meter, elevation of the ball and club above the ground, ground surface roughness and reflectivity, distance to surrounding objects like walls and ceilings. This does not include the variable in sound of different club head materials and designs.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave