IGNORED

Unbelievable-Broke two clubs in one round

Note: This thread is 5839 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ok. I already posted about how bad I've had the shanks and that I've started over from square one using Hogan's 5 Lessons.

So I go out to play my first round ever with my "new" swing, which really means I'm trying to backswing with shoulders and downswing more with hips, I'm using an overlap grip for the first time, and I'm still shanking the ball.

I broke the head off of my driver and 3 wood today!! WTF is going on???

This can't be a coincidence can it?? The crazy part is, both shots went dead straight. Broke two f&^%& clubs!!!!! $300 night of golf. Did shanking off of the hozel cause these clubs to break? Is that possible? What else could cause this?

I've never felt like this before, but I almost feel like giving up. I changed everything about my swing, and I still have the same problem-SHANKS!

If I stand further from the ball, I come up way underneath it and hit a pitching wedge like 40 yards!! So that's not working. I've tried weight on the heels, doesn't work. Trying to hit the toe.

A lot of times tonight at impact, I could feel the club actually twist and turn in my hands just as I hit the ball. Is that from hitting the hozel??

Someone please give your opinions on breaking these clubs on the same night and where to go next with the shanks. Thanks.

John

A manager at Golf Galaxy once told me many golfers leave their sets in their parked cars on hot days. The epoxy holding the club head to the shaft weakens, resulting in snapped heads.

First off Im sorry about ur clubs dude that sucks

Although, if I had just completely changed my swing I would go to the driving range for at least a month before I would play a round

And seriously didnt u post that thread like yesterday, did u just skim over the book and look at the pretty pictures then decide to play golf

A golf swing takes time

FInd a cheap replacemnet club, read the book, and go to the driving range

Good luck trying to have a swing after the best ball striker in the histroy of the universe

In My Edge Bag:
Driver: R7 Draw
3-Wood: Burner
3h,4h: Idea A2
Irons: 5-PW Idea A2Wedges: X-Tour 52, 56, 60Putter: White Hot XGBall: OPB (Other People's Balls)

A manager at Golf Galaxy once told me many golfers leave their sets in their parked cars on hot days. The epoxy holding the club head to the shaft weakens, resulting in snapped heads.

How bad is this, and how much heat can do this? My clubs are perpetually stored in the trunk of my car in Los Angeles. I park in a garage normally, but I don't know where my summer (work) parking will be.

Which clubs do I have to worry about this with? What if I want to have my irons for playing an executive course after work?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

How bad is this, and how much heat can do this? My clubs are perpetually stored in the trunk of my car in Los Angeles. I park in a garage normally, but I don't know where my summer (work) parking will be.

It is near impossible not to leave them in there sometimes... but when temps near 90... imagine how hot the trunk is. I think it tends to affect the woods first, but it's not good for any of them. It's also bad on the grips. But, I do leave my clubs in the car as sometimes it is unavoidable... just do it as little as possible. I think it's more of a problem for people who "store" their bags in their trunk.

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

Alright.... lets start with Tip #1. Using the same swing that Hogan used doesn't work unless you are built and move exactly like Hogan. Its like getting the same driver Bubba Watson uses and expecting it to carry 340 in the air. This is a game you need to figure out by yourself, or with the help of a highly skilled instructor.

As far as you breaking clubs and feeling the club twisting at impact... you should be able to look the the club and see where you are hitting it, but I would guess you are firing off some hosel rockets. Post a video of your swing if possible if you want a better diagnosis.

Tip #2. If you are hitting like this, do us all a favor and put in some major range time before spraying your local course. Swing changes take alot of time, even for the best players in the world. We have all been to the point in our "golf careers" where we felt like quiting, but that is the beauty of this game, if you endure, you will see results. The changes you see may not always be for the better, but its all about the journey, not the destination.
In My Bag
Driver: R5 TP 9.5 Diamana
3 Wood: V-Steel 15* UST V2
5 Wood: R7 Steel
Hybrids: Heavenwood 20* UST V2 Rescue Mid 22* UST V2Irons: RAC LT2 5-9 Project X FlightedWedges: RAC Black TP 47* 51* 55* 60*Putter: White Hot 2 BallBalls: One Black

I used this drill a few years ago to get rid of the shanks Get a 2x4 board and align it along the target line put a ball 2 inches away from the inside of the board use an 8 irons and start with some half swings and work up to a full swing. Go slow at first because you'll most likely hit the board a few times

It is near impossible not to leave them in there sometimes... but when temps near 90... imagine how hot the trunk is. I think it tends to affect the woods first, but it's not good for any of them. It's also bad on the grips. But, I do leave my clubs in the car as sometimes it is unavoidable... just do it as little as possible. I think it's more of a problem for people who "store" their bags in their trunk.

That's me. And temperatures here in summer sometimes low triple digits.

If I have no way to store the clubs other than the trunk, is there anything I can do to minimize the damage? Last summer, the first time I had woods, I had a parking garage spot at work.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Did shanking off of the hozel cause these clubs to break? Is that possible? What else could cause this?

Last Summer my wife's cousin hit a couple of shots off the hosel of my 3 wood and split the shaft. My guess is that this happened to you. Once the shafts were split it didn't take much to break the head off.

I've re-shafted a couple of clubs and I can tell you that it takes more heat than this to break that epoxy bond in a properly installed shaft. Sure, the heat inside the trunk of your car isn't great for your clubs (especially the grips), but I think most of the epoxy used in club building requires at least 350-400 degrees F to break. Even then you have to exert a lot of force to remove that shaft.

Callaway FT-9 Tour I-mix 9.5° Driver (Fujikura Zcom Pro 65 stiff)
Mizuno F-50 15° 3w (Exsar FS2 stiff)
Bridgestone J36 19° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro 23° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro Forged 5-pw Irons (DG Black Gold stiff)Nike SV Tour Black Satin...

dude you said sh@nk like 6 times in one post!!!!!!!!!!

I'm staying away from this thread!!!!!!!!!!!

but before I go.... it always helps me to close my stance way down and gradualy work my way back to square.

Good luck
Driver - TaylorMade R9 460 10.5°
3 Wood - TaylotMade Burner Tour
3 & 4 Hybrids - Adams a7
Irons - R7 tp 5-PW
Wedges - Vokey SM Black Nickel - 52º - 56º - 60ºPutter - Scotty Cameron California - SonomaSkyCaddie - SG4Lowest Round - 68 - Par 72 /67.6/120Lowest Tournament Round - 69 -...

I've never felt like this before, but I almost feel like giving up. I changed everything about my swing, and I still have the same problem-SHANKS!

I had the shanks once back in High School and my golf coach had me hit balls from under my bag; if that makes sense. This only works with a non-hoofer stand bag.

Place a ball under your bag like in the picture and hit away in the direction of the arrow. Because the bag is there, your mind won't let you hit it off the hosel. You'll likely slice the hell out of the ball at first, but thats way better than a shank! Good luck. Let me know if this works for you.

I don't know how you can manage to shank a driver or 3-wood?
Driver Titleist 905R 9.5* (Stiff Prolaunch Blue 65g)
Hybrid: PT 585.H 17 * (Stiff titleist 75g shaft)
Irons: 695.cb 3-9 ( Dynamic Gold S300)
Wedges: 735.CM 47* PW, Vokey 200 series 50.08 Oil Can Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 Tour chrome, Vokey Spin Milled 58.08 Oil canPutter: Wilson Staff Kirk Kurrie #1[CO.....

I used this drill a few years ago to get rid of the shanks Get a 2x4 board and align it along the target line put a ball 2 inches away from the inside of the board use an 8 irons and start with some half swings and work up to a full swing. Go slow at first because you'll most likely hit the board a few times

I like this drill, and strongly recommend it. When I was first learning, we did this drill with some modifications from the previous post...

1. Do it without a ball - this should be practiced everyday in your backyard. 2. Use your driver 3. Use the 2x4 but also lay something soft on the inside of the 2x4, about a club and a half width from the board. The point is to leave a track slightly wider than the driver head to swing thru. Until you can swing consistently without hitting the board or the soft thingy, there's no need to swing at a ball. 4. 50 swings a day!

HiBore 10.5 driver
GT-500 3- and 5-woods
Bazooka JMax 4 Iron Wood
Big Bertha 2008 irons (4 and 5 i-brids, 6i-9i,PW)
Tom Watson 56 SW Two-Ball putter

i've seen club heads break off from their shaft before. I'm sorry. It does suck.
Instance 1. The kid was trying to swing his driver 140 mph and hit the ground...not a lot..just a little bit...enough to see sparks and the head flew off during impact.

Instance 2. I saw a 7 iron head fly off on the 1st tee shot.

Although the epoxy is rated to withstand temps of 250 - 270, i would think it starts to weaken around 200. There's been hot days in Jersey where it's 110 outside and the inside temp of my car is close to 170. but maybe the shafts were set wrong into the head?? that's all i could really think of.

a guy that i played with that broke his club head off...his friend builds jim furyk's clubs...and his 7 iron snapped off..... so that proves nobody's perfect
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

Ok. I already posted about how bad I've had the shanks and that I've started over from square one using Hogan's 5 Lessons.

In addition to the backswing and downswing you'd also need to rebuild your setup (specifically) posture, balance, ball position, stance width, and so on. If the setup for your new swing isn't different from your setup for your old swing then you're not going to be able to move into the positions advocated by Hogan.

I suspect if you looked at video (or pictures) or your old swing and your new swing you might not see too much of a difference (even if you feel like you've made a big change). The first thing I'd look at with regard to your shanking is that your weight is properly balance (on the balls of your feet, not too much on your heels, nor too much on your toes), check for good posture angles (slight knee flex, and you are bending from the hips not the waist) check that your arms are hanging down naturally from the shoulders (not pushed pushed out away from you, nor pulled in excessively tight against the body. If you took one of your hands off the club and let the arm and hand hang freely it should hang next to the club, and if it didn't that would suggest your balance, posture, and distance from the ball were incorrect). (As Bobby Jones writes in page 153 of his book Bobby Jones on Golf shanks can also be caused by not allowing the wrists to hinge properly in the swing).
I broke the head off of my driver and 3 wood today!! WTF is going on???

There are a number of different possibilities. One, you could have hit downward too much (into the ground) in the past weakening the club shafts, and you may now be generating more clubhead speed which could be the final straw to your weakened clubs. Two, you could be hitting down too much now with a steep descending blow into the ground, and that caused your clubs to break.

Where did you get the idea that you needed to stand further from the ball?!?

I'm pretty sure Hogan doesn't advocate standing far away from the ball. Does he look like he is bent over, reaching for the ball, or extremely back on his heels in the pictures linked below? http://www.golfbetterproductions.com/images/Hogan3.gif http://www.the-efficient-golfer.com/...drs-dtl2-f.jpg
A lot of times tonight at impact, I could feel the club actually twist and turn in my hands just as I hit the ball. Is that from hitting the hozel??

Standing too far away from the ball (which you mentioned above that you tried) as well as the body suddenly stopping or slowing down on the downswing promotes the arms to rotate, and that in turn likely generated the twisting feeling you experienced.

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

Thats great information if it's true. It gets hotter here than most places (110+ in July/Aug). I definitely won't be leaving my clubs in the trunk anymore in the dead of summer. Thx!

Driver: Titleist 983K, 9.5°, Aldila NV-65S
3-Wood: Titleist 906F2, 15°, Aldila NV-75S
Hybrid: TaylorMade Rescue TP, 19°, Aldila NV-85S
Irons: TaylorMade R7 TP, S300, 3-PW
Wedges: Cleveland Tour Action 900 56.14Putter: Ping Anser 4, 34"Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

I think I recall reading a Q&A; with Frank Thomas (

http://www.franklygolf.com/ ) where he dismissed many of the golf myths about leaving clubs in trunks of cars and garages. If I recall correctly he said the only thing that hot and cold temperature changes in those storage areas effect how quickly the golf grips wear. If anyone wants to verify you can search for Q&A;'s with him (I'm not sure if I read it on his site, or else where), or you can send him an e-mail asking: mailto:inquiries@franklygolf.com

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

Note: This thread is 5839 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!