IGNORED

Driver off the Deck

iacas
Note: This thread is 5731 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Driver off the deck: is that shot in your bag?

• Yep
    • Nope
    • I've done it, but I'm not confident in it at all.

I hit the shot once every four or five rounds.

same here.

I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted.

In my bag todayâ¦.
Driver: 2009 S9-1 10.5
19d Hybrid4-SW:2008 FP 58/10 Mizuno MP T-10Putter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
I aggree. Todays drivers are not designed for that kind of shot. Id rather just punch a long iron in windy conditions and have my pitch shot into the green rather than taking a risky play like that.

I'm not sure what's "risky" about it if you can pull it off 8 or 9 times out of 10. Know what I mean?

I don't practice the shot, but my odds of pulling it off are pretty good. Worst case, it rolls along as far as a 4-iron into that wind would anyway.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's an awesome shot, but it's not one I've practiced enough to try in a round. Most courses up here in the northwest are fairly short by design because conditions are mud-on-your-ball soft for 9 months out of the year. So you don't end up having room for that shot very often. I've tried it once or twice at the range just for giggles.

I saw Bubba Watson do it a couple times at Chambers Bay. One of them he mis-hit about 280 uphill. :)

Titleist 907D1 10.5°
Titleist 906F4 15.5°
Titleist 906F4 18.5°
Wilson Staff Pi5 3-P
Titleist Vokey 56.14Cleveland CG12 60°Scotty Cameron Newport Two

I'm not sure what's "risky" about it if you can pull it off 8 or 9 times out of 10. Know what I mean?

It might not be risky play for you, but I know for certain I can punch a 3i 160-170 yards 10 out of 10 times and just have a sandwedge or pitch into a green. Its all about adding the element of the unknown is what makes it risky for me. Its not a shot I would think about practicing.

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Its not a shot I need, so I don't practice it. And I never hit a shot in competition that I have never practiced. I am long enough with the driver and 3 wood to take care of 99% of distance issues. That 1% if it ever rears its ugly head, well I will just have to lay it up to a good wedge distance and take my chances.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

I have tried in the past with limited success. I will try it playing in a scramble and a partner is sitting in a good spot. It can't hurt and you never know what might happen. I have played it a time or two when I need to advance a ball up the fairway and have to keep the ball under a tree. The ball stays low and you tend to get more run than hitting a long iron. Unless the fairway is wide open with no trouble on either side, I won't even think about trying to reach a green though. Usually, if I don't think I can reach a green with a 3-wood, and stay out of trouble in the process, I'll just lay up and leave a good yardage in the fairway for the next shot into the green.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

I voted no. Never practiced it or tried it in a round.
My Bag

Driver: Sumo 460 10.5º Stiff
4 & 7 Woods: T-40 Stiff
Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

a) a wedge is nowhere near as accurate as a chip

A chip is more accurate than a chip, but we were discussing driver off the deck. To reach a green 350+ yards away. It is more "accurate" or consistent to hit a long iron or wood plus a wedge, than to hit a driver of deck plus a chip.

You will hit the green more consistently if you hit a iron plus wedge. Anyways a driver off the deck is not going to get you to a green 350 yards away. For c, if you are 400 yards away from a par five green, a driver plus chip will not get it done either. There is no doubt that a driver off the deck is not a wise choice, although is may be a fun challenge to go for it.

"Eliminate All Compensations."

Bag: 2008 Warbird
Driver: R7 425 10.5 (s)
3 wood: R7 stIrons: RAC MB TP 2-PWWedges: SV 56*10, SV Black Satin 60*10Putter: Anser 4Balls: Black

I think I've tried it only a couple times in my life and they were probably all in scrambles where I could place the ball on a perfect lie. In those cases, I can get the ball up and it'll go at least 220-240 range. Without a good lie and a large amount of bail out to the right, I won't even consider it. Additionally, I'd need a strong head wind to have it make any sense for me.

Someone said their dad uses a driver as a fairway wood - my dad does too. He just got a Burner, but he uses his old ass driver from like 1990, that is smaller than my 4-wood, for his fairway wood. And he crushes it every time (for him a crush is 210 carry).

This thread got me thinking about how Vijay was seen at some tournament last year practicing driver off the deck out of the rough! Amazing how perfect your swing has to be to pull that off.

Hoofer Vantage Bag Carrying:
DRIVER Fusion FT-3 Driver Proforce V2 65 Graphite Stiff
FAIRWAY WOOD G10 4-Wood
HYBRID G10 21 Degree
IRONS MX-25 Irons 3 thru PW Precision Rifle Shafts & Golf Pride GripsWEDGES CG10 56 & 60 Degree WedgesPUTTER 2-Ball SRT BALL ProV1xCLUB ...

Practising woods off the deck for low handicappers is the best practice there is in my view. However, i wouldnt recommend it for higher handicappers as it will damage confidence severely.

• Administrator
A chip is more accurate than a chip

Typo? Not sure what you meant to say.

but we were discussing driver off the deck. To reach a green 350+ yards away. It is more "accurate" or consistent to hit a long iron or wood plus a wedge, than to hit a driver of deck plus a chip.

I've only ever talked about my game, but it seems to me that you're talking not just about your game, but trying to push your opinions on others (albeit gently). True? Why does it matter to you what I can do?

I didn't give any yardages, because they'll vary for everyone, but if you want to play that hypothetical I'm game. From 300 yards, with a good headwind, I can get 250 with a driver 8 times out of 10 and keep it well within play (the other two times I'll catch it a bit thin and it'll go 200). Thus, that's by far the smarter play than a 3-wood that's gonna go 200 or less and leave me with a shot that's long enough that it too will get up into the wind. A "6-iron/wedge" wouldn't get me there and, if it would, is still less accurate than a chip or a 50-yard shot. Move the green out to 350 and, depending on the wind, it could be anything from two 3Ws to a 3W and a mid-iron, neither of which are going to be more accurate than a driver and a short iron.
You will hit the green more consistently if you hit a iron plus wedge.

An iron and a wedge might not get me there in some cases, and in every case where it will, a driver (given the right conditions) and a pitch/chip/whatever will be more accurate (particularly into the wind).

For c, if you are 400 yards away from a par five green, a driver plus chip will not get it done either.

If I'm 400 yards out, a driver's still going to get me closer to the green than a 3W or a long iron. Again, that leaves me with a shorter shot in. In some winds, you might not even get there with two long irons from 400.

Besides, I'm more accurate with a driver and a short iron than two long irons.
There is no doubt that a driver off the deck is not a wise choice...

"... for you." You forgot to add that part.

Additionally, I'd need a strong head wind to have it make any sense for me.

That's usually a component, though I'm confident enough with mine to hit it when I'm - like Rod Pampling yesterday - just a little bit out of my longest 3W range and am feeling okay about the other conditions. Worst case, I'll thin it a little and it'll roll out 200 yards, which is no worse than a slightly mis-hit 3W.

This thread got me thinking about how Vijay was seen at some tournament last year practicing driver off the deck out of the rough! Amazing how perfect your swing has to be to pull that off.

The rough is sometimes easier. The ball can "sit up" like it's on a little tee from the rough. I've seen Vijay swinging a weighted driver at balls from the driving range, and THAT is tough.

Vijay's rough/driver drill is usually done on a little hill and is meant to encourage him to to get to his left side (up the hill) through impact.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I could do it with the smaller, older drivers. But not with the compact cars we call drivers these days. I just added two inches to my 3 wood and it gave me the extra 20 yards when I need it, is all.

how do you control a 45inch 3 wood?

Burner 10.5* driver
Burner 3 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Burner 5 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Tour Burner irons
Rac black 52* Rac satin 60* Red x 3 pro v1

Since my Ping G5 driver is 13.5 degrees loft, it's not that hard to pull off. It's basically a strong 3 wood with a big head. When I connect, I can hit in 230 - 240...but the thing is, it's still hard to get that fat face to lift the ball up.

I've been working on it at the range (the range i go to you hit off fairway type grass, not matts) so i've been getting better. Not sure if i wanna take it to the range yet. i know my sisters old b/f used to hit his 8 degree driver off the deck and hit it about 320, it was disgusting.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Besides, I'm more accurate with a driver and a short iron than two long irons.

So you're more accurate with a drive of the deck, and a short iron than two long irons? Maybe you are better than most pros, and can accurately hit a driver off the deck, or you need to work on your long irons. I don't know, how accurate you are with a driver off the deck, but 99% of good players would not do it.

I'm not attacking your ability, but driver off the deck is a bad choice for ALL people.

"Eliminate All Compensations."

Bag: 2008 Warbird
Driver: R7 425 10.5 (s)
3 wood: R7 stIrons: RAC MB TP 2-PWWedges: SV 56*10, SV Black Satin 60*10Putter: Anser 4Balls: Black

I don't use it all that often, but I do know it's there if I really need to hit it. There are just not too many times I would have to.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

I aggree. Todays drivers are not designed for that kind of shot.

I agree with todays drivers I don't believe it provides any advantage. Modern drivers are designed to produce the best shots when hit from the middle or upper section of the face (where you get the best launch angle and spin rate). Hitting the ball low off the face of a driver hitting (off the deck) will not produce as powerful of a ball flight (since spin and launch angles will not be good). A fairway wood has the launch conditions optimized around the club weighting and loft, and is designed to hit off the fairway lies. While I can hit a driver off the deck I don't feel it is as useful shot as it was 10-15 years ago.

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

I'll pass.
Just like I dont like people in a scramble sitting in their cart to my right and a little in front of me.

I kindly tell them "Last time I checked I don't get paid to play"...that usually gets them out of the cart.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

Note: This thread is 5731 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!