IGNORED

Handicap - whats going on?

kregan
Note:Β This thread is 5854 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

So this is my first year really playing and tracking scores with Scorecard software.

I am at a 24.3 handicap and a 31 anti handicap in the software after 8 rounds.

Now that I am playing more I am getting paired up with guys on the the course. Most are very nice and it is nice to have someone to play with but when they start talking about handicaps in the 15 range and I am playing better at a 24 I really wonder whats up?

I also see a lot of pushing the ball around in the rough or picking the ball up to identify it then placing it in a better spot. Is this common practice? Also I see a lot of picking up the ball on the greens. If I am with a group and it is busy (people waiting behind you) I can see that IF its inside 8", but not at 16 - 18"

I never touch my ball unless it is on the green, tee or GUR.

I am not trying to be snobby or anything and I never say anything to the others I am playing with I just wonder if you guys see this a lot?

Kelly

www.finescale360.com

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So this is my first year really playing and tracking scores with Scorecard software.

Saw it today... played with three hacks. One guy claimed he shot a 42 last time out and usually plays bogey golf. He easily shot 100-110 today and rolled the ball around a LOT. He also took numerous improper drops, one after going OB and not taking distance penalty. He also told me he hit his 9-iron 160 usually, but he could hardly get 210 with a good drive. He also had one of the strongest grips I have ever seen, and couldn't figure out why he hooked the ball so much. Some people just can't face the truth that they can't usually break 100 I guess.

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5Β° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14Β° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18Β°) & 3h(20Β°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52Β°-10Β° & 58Β°-10Β°; Odyssey...

I do see this a lot but mostly with gimmes(or "short" tap ins) most gimmes that some people ive played with take are like 5 foot testers and then they they put par when they could have made bogey.

I dont have an official handicap but I do generally shoot in the mid to low 80's. although if was submitting a round for a handicap tracker thing i would play a true round of golf and only take gimmes if im like a foot away

Another thing i am guilty of giving my self favorable lies so taht might affect my scores but who nos

In My Edge Bag:
Driver: R7 Draw
3-Wood: Burner
3h,4h: Idea A2
Irons: 5-PW Idea A2Wedges: X-Tour 52, 56, 60Putter: White Hot XGBall: OPB (Other People's Balls)

although if was submitting a round for a handicap tracker thing i would play a true round of golf and only take gimmes if im like a foot away

Thats still not playing a true round of golf.

In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5Β°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15Β°
5 Wood: r7 19Β° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60Β°Wedge: Z TP 54Β°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

True but since i am amazing at i foot putts it doesn't matter

In tourneys i do play a true round

In My Edge Bag:
Irons: 5-PW Idea A2Wedges: X-Tour 52, 56, 60Putter: White Hot XGBall: OPB (Other People's Balls)

Yes i used to give myself gimmes within a foot also.

but then just started to finish every putt. Makes me satisfied that I officially finished the hole, from Tee to Cup.
In My Bag

5 Wood: r7 19Β° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60Β°Wedge: Z TP 54Β°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

• Administrator
I also see a lot of pushing the ball around in the rough or picking the ball up to identify it then placing it in a better spot. Is this common practice? Also I see a lot of picking up the ball on the greens.

It's simple. If I cheated like that, I'd be on Tour. They cheat like that and it only gets them to a 15.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

i usually finish a tap in if its like a par or rarely a birdie but if i bogey ill give myself an early christmas present

In My Edge Bag:

I used to take more gimmes, and move my ball around in the rough when I was like a 20, but now I putt out everything and never move anything unless its in construction area or relief area.

in the bag

Driver: 909D2 9.5Β° Oban Devotion Shaft

3 Wood: G10 15.5Β°
Hybrid: 3dx RC 20Β° IronwoodΒ 

4-PW: MP-57's S300

Wedges: 51Β° MP-T Black Nickel ;Β 56Β° Vokey Spin MilledΒ 

Putter: Tracy II 35" Iomic GripΒ 

Ball: Pro V1x

Yes i used to give myself gimmes within a foot also.

I agree totally.

Although in a social round if one of my playing partner's says "dont worry about it, that one's a gimme" i will always take it.
Driver:Β CallawayΒ Diablo Edge Tour 10.5* (UST Proforce v2 77g X Flex)Β 3 Wood:Β CallawayΒ Diablo 15* (UST Proforce v2 86g S Flex).Β 2 Hybrid:Β AdamsΒ A4 Tech 17*Β (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex).Β 3 and 4 Hybrid:Β AdamsΒ Idea Pro 20* and 23* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex)
Irons:Β Tour EdgeΒ Exotics...

I play with a guy that if he played legit would probably be a single digit handicap. That is why I laugh when he constantly picks up his ball to clean it (before reaching the green of course), uses distance balls for his drives and softer ones around the green. However he doesnt post his scores and isnt playing against me so as long as he is having fun I guess all is good........

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

The handicap thing has a lot of variables. What I mean is you have guys who are straight up, it is what it is. Then you've got guys who don't play it down, "winter rules" all year long, gimme putts, etc. Then you've got guys who for some reason want their handicap to be like a status thing and although they aren't shooting that low, simply posting low scores so their handicap will be a bragging point. For me, my handicap is what the handicap is geared to measure... your potential. I post all my scores, good, bad and ugly. And I shoot that way, I'm very streaky. My goal is to be more consistent and I'm slowly getting there. But I have some low rounds in there and my handicap reflects that and I can go out and shoot nowhere near it and you'd wonder how my cap got to be what it is.

I guess my point is you've got all kinds and the differing kinds of players don't make it easy to play apples against apples, which is why the system was invented. It's kinda sad and disappointing.

Β 

The guys that I play with on Sunday morning do alot of "rough fluff". That doesnt bother me so much because they are like 30+ handicappers and sometimes the game can be hard enough for someone just trying to get around under 120. The thing that bothers me is the gimmies on the green. There really shouldnt be any gimmies and it kills me that these guys always 2 putt. I watched my buddy yesterday putt one from about 20 ft for bogey. He missed it by about 4 feet. His putt coming back missed and he said he wasnt going to count it cause it was a gimmie? I was like uh OK, to bad Tiger couldnt have said that at the Masters....Like I said though they are 30 handicappers and I dont want to be a dick to them but at some point they need to start learning what golf is really all about.
"When I play with him, he talks to me on every green. He turns to me and says, 'You're away.' "
-Jimmy Demaret referring to Ben Hogan

In The Bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL (10.5 -conforming)3 Wood: MacGregor V-FOIL5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5 (4-PW)Wedges:52 - Nike SV Tour56 - Cleve...

He missed it by about 4 feet. His putt coming back missed and he said he wasnt going to count it cause it was a gimmie?

I've heard it said the way someone plays the game of golf is a window into their overall personality. If they self-rationalize to cheat, there’s a good chance they conduct themselves in a similar fashion in other situations.

BTW, Bill Clinton was notorious for taking mulligans.

Driver: Ping K15 10Β°, Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 63g Stiff
Fairway 4-wood: TaylorMade RocketBallz Tour TP 17.5Β°, Matrix Ozik TP7HD S shaft

Hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 3H-4H, Aldila DVS Stiff
Irons: MIURA PP-9003, Dynamic Gold Superlite S300, Sand Wedge: Scratch 8620 56Β°
Putter: Nike Method Concept Belly 44"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B330-S

I must admit i do take gimmes about 40 percent of the time, but I have been trying to putt it out more. My friend whom I play a lot with is the biggest cheater ever. We were playing Sunday, and on the first four tee shots he re-teed them because he topped all of them like 10 yards. He always gives himself nice lies, he was in a group of trees, and instead of playing it out he just threw is ball in the fairway, but in the end i still beat him by 15 strokes. I shoot around 41, 42, 43, but my handicap is from last season, and I'm better now.
In the Bag:

Driver 10.5 r7 460 ti Reax regular shaft
3 Wood 15.5 LD F Speed Aldila NV stiff shaft
Hybrids 19 Tour Burner Rescue Reax stiff shaft. 21 degree torch series saber shaftIrons Sliver Scot 4-pw Rifle 5.0 shaftsSand Wedge 56 Degree Cg10 Black pearl finish 2 dotLob Wedge 60...

I always wondered what was the point of keeping score and posting a handicap if you were going to cheat.

Guys borrowing each other's equipment, picking up balls without marking them, "accidentally" moving the ball before hitting it, touching the sand when in the trap, etc.

If you're going to play golf, know the rules. If you're going to keep score and a handicap, be honest and actually, enforce them.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Β 

Ball-White and Round

Β 

Guys borrowing each other's equipment, picking up balls without marking them, "accidentally" moving the ball before hitting it,

i HATE when my friends and ppl i play with do this!!

In my Xtreme II carry bag:

Mizuno Driver
MacGregor 3Wood
Taylormade Rescue Hybrid 3i CG Gold Graphite Irons (4-PW) 52* CG14 wedge Vokey 56* Sand Wedge Vokey 60* Lob Wedge 33" Newport

Whats funny I just realized...

I dont really mind when New players cheat and such because they are learning the game and taking an extra ball or so can help them get better. Most arent really posting scores for a handicap almost immediatly.

Its people that are single digit handicaps or under 20 that really bother me. They are going for a lower handicap. Like my friend who is around a 7 but cheats like crazy.
In My Bag

Note:Β This thread is 5854 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!