IGNORED

Sucking a Shot Back

Note: This thread is 5700 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Using a Pro-v1 and a new 54 vokey spin milled, I cannot get a shot to check up around the green to save my life.

hit it crisp and light grip pressure and a smooth swing

Chris Nunes,17 yrs old

In My Bag:
Woods:Nike Sasquatch Tour Model (Driver), Nike Sumo 3 wood
Irons: Callaway X-Forged (Project X 6.0)Wedge: Callaway C Grind 58 degree,Titleist Volkey 54 degree (oil can)Putter Cleveland Classic 2 or Scotty Cameron Santa Fe teryllium "Everyday you miss practicing it...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried doing a little on the practise green yesterday and I actually did it once. It worked soo nicely. It just checked up right by the hole.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

Pro's are playing with new wedges almost every round

not even close to true. yes, the clubs are less than 1 year old, but a pro is never going to be playing with a club he has never hit before in a meaningful round of club unless another club recently broke. At most, pros will change their wedges 3-4 times per year.

What's in the bag:

Driver: Adams 9064LS (project RIP Shaft) 9.5 degree
3 Wood: Titleist 909R 14.5 degree
Hybrid 3-iron: 19 degree Tour Professional (bent to 18 degrees)Hybrid 4-iron: 21 degree Tour ProfessionalIrons: Tour X-20 5-PW Project X 6.0 shaftsGap Wedge: Mizuno MP10 52.08 Sand Wedge: Mizuno MP10 58.10 Lob Wedge: Nike 62.06

• 2 months later...
hi all, i wanted to know is how do you put backspin on a wedge shot. i have been trying a couple different stances and ball placements, to little result. please give me some tips on how to spin, or stop the ball with a wedge or short iron. thanks in advance
chris

In My AMP Bag:
- FT-3 Draw 9°
- 3 Wood
- Black Max 3H
- Black Max 5-PWKnight: - Wedge 52° -- 60° - 33" XG White Hot Rossie W/ Jumbo Grip TOURi Ball Glove

wrist control and clean contact. weight on the left side before and during backswing. left hand in front of the ball at contact and make sure your right hand doesn't turn over after.

i saw camillo spin a 25 yard pitch shot about 12 feet back. it's insane what these guys can do.

"One of the reasons Arnie Palmer is playing so well is that, before each final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them. Oh my God, what have I just said."
US Open TV Commentator

S9-1 Pro D Driver 9.5 Degree Matrix Ozik XCON-6
CGB 3WPro Baffler 2/R 2HybridMP-37 Project X 6.0Vokey...

Play the ball a little bit back in your stance, make solid contact and make sure you use a soft ball and it will spin every time.
Im a 34 handicap and I spin the heck out of the ball on my wedge shots. Im I can do it, anyone can.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

do you do it when you hit a full shot? when i use my wedges the ball is already pretty far back in my stance. what i was doing to try to get it to spin is: put the ball off my big toe, lean hard on my front foot-left foot is slightly leaned off of the ground, come down on a stepper club angle. i can get it to bounce once, then check up, but it will still roll around 5-6feet or so.

In My AMP Bag:
- FT-3 Draw 9°
- 3 Wood
- Black Max 3H
- Black Max 5-PWKnight: - Wedge 52° -- 60° - 33" XG White Hot Rossie W/ Jumbo Grip TOURi Ball Glove

do you do it when you hit a full shot? when i use my wedges the ball is already pretty far back in my stance. what i was doing to try to get it to spin is: put the ball off my big toe, lean hard on my front foot-left foot is slightly leaned off of the ground, come down on a stepper club angle. i can get it to bounce once, then check up, but it will still roll around 5-6feet or so.

creating that 'one bounce and check up' shot is really tough for most golfers. So congrats on being able to do that. On a full swing..i usually play the ball in the middle of my stance. Stewart Cink even recommends about half a ball back of center. Then you just take the same swing that you do with any other club...however you must be released the club at the proper time. If you are casting a little and sweeping the ball..instead of taking a nice divot...you have no chance of creating a lot of spin. Do you take a divot on your full wedge swings?

TMX Carry Bag
Tour Burner 9.5*
Burner 3W 15*
Burner Rescue Hybrid 19*
r7 TP 4i-SW Dynamic Gold S300s 60* CG-14 Circa 62 #2 & Studio Stainless Newport 2 Pro V1x

Hell, get a Spin milled, Get a Pro V1, and do a normal pitch shot, it will spin and stop.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

Hell, get a Spin milled, Get a Pro V1, and do a normal pitch shot, it will spin and stop.

Yes! And then pick the ball shavings out of the wedge.....hahaha

In the Titleist bag on the ClicGear 2.0:

PILOT: Titleist 910 D2 Axivore Tour Red

3 WOOD: Callaway 3-Deep 13*

Hybrid: TaylorMade RBZ 22*

IRONS 3-PW: Mizuno MP-32

WEDGES: Vokey TVD 54* SM5 58*K

PUTTER: Rife 2-Bar Blade

BALL: Penta 5

that would do it too

TMX Carry Bag
Tour Burner 9.5*
Burner 3W 15*
Burner Rescue Hybrid 19*
r7 TP 4i-SW Dynamic Gold S300s 60* CG-14 Circa 62 #2 & Studio Stainless Newport 2 Pro V1x

I recently got the Cleveland CG11 wedges and I spin them like crazy. I even spun one back off the green with my 50* yesterday (not that that's a good thing), and I could never do that with my old wedges. If you're looking for a new wedge, the CG11 is pretty cheap right now.

In my bag:

Driver: Burner Draw 9.5*
3W: X 15*
5W: X 19*Irons: 200 Series 4-PWWedges: CG11 50*, 56*, 60*Putter: Rossa Monza SpiderBall: One Black

i can get it to bounce once, then check up, but it will still roll around 5-6feet or so.

and that’s a problem because?

Callaway X-Hot Tour GD Tour AD DI-7 Sonartec SS-3.5 16* FTP-X Adams Idea Super S 19* Matrix Kujoh
Bridgestone J33B DG X100 Mizuno MP 53*6 Mizuno MP 56*10 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported
Mizuno MP 60*6 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported Odyssey White Hot Tour #5 Callaway Tourix

GHIN: 10436305

and that’s a problem because?

its not, but in some instances i would like to be able to bring the ball back 5-6 feet. with the shot i mentioned, if the flag is close to me, i will send the ball 5-6 foot past. but if i could get it to spin back a little, i can carry past the flag then bring it back.

In My AMP Bag:
- FT-3 Draw 9°
- 3 Wood
- Black Max 3H

I sucked a 60* full swing back off the green today :( Ball was middle of stance, 110 downhill to pin.

Well struck middle of stance huge high trajectory and the greens were not overly soft today...

Damn thing landed, and pulled back 25ft and I was hoping for just a land and check is it would have left me with a nice 6 ft putt.

My opinion is this:
SWing speed, grooves and the ball and played a huge part. Was a TM Tp 07 Red hit with a CG14 Callaway.

I really need to go fing out my swing speed...

Taylormade TP 2010 9.5 Fubuki stiff
07 Burner 5W stiff

Adams F11 Ti 3W Adilia NVS Stiff
Bobby Jones 21* & 25* Hybrid
AP1 4-gw
CG14  60*::X forged Vintage 56* Ping b60 putter Balls: Bridgestone B330, ProV, Goals: Shot par over 18 holes, Best shot: Par 5 18th hole, Alling Memorial New haven CT; holed my 2nd shot for an Albatross! (June 20th, 2008)

• 1 month later...

Thanks ERC for directing me to this thread. Good, informative reading.

I've made the ball come back with as little as a 6 iron. (Was on a downhill Par 3, bounced a couple times and spun back). Don't know how, but it was cool to see. And I ended up pin high, 6 feet away. Missed the putt. Doesn't happen often, it seems like when I try to do it, nothing good ever comes of it!

My Equipment:
Northwestern 3-, 5-, 7- and 9-wood;
Goldwin AVDP Irons (5-10 plus PW);
U.S. Golf 60 degree wedge;
See-More Putter; Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Rangefinder;Golflogix GPS.

That's what everyone always says. Even on a full swing I don't get a whole lot of spin, even when I hit it crisply.

The primary factor in creating backspin is clubhead acceleration. Control distance with length of backswing.

Note: This thread is 5700 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!