IGNORED

Golf Digest's U.S. Open Challenge

Mr. Sparkle
Note: This thread is 5815 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Have any of you played TP South? It can get pretty difficult if you aren't a long hitter. For example, #12 is a par 4 at 443 from the whites (462 from the blues), but it is uphill and straight into the wind. When the wind is blowing I have to play it like a par 5. It is listed at 504 from the black tees.
In my bag
Driver: Burner 460 9.5°
Fairway: V-Steel 15°
Utility: Rescue Dual 16°, 22°
Irons: 755 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey 50°, SM 56°, SM 64°Putter: Newport 2 Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A buddy of mine played down there a few weeks ago with an 8 handicap (my friend is a 16 or so) and they played it from about 6600-6700, and the 8 shot a 95. He said the rough was long, but that they were told it would be thicker for the open. He said the greens were fast, but he figured they would harder and faster for the open, so take that for what it is worth. Also, my buddy wouldn't tell me what he shot.....

Classic 290 10.5 Miyazaki C. Kua 43 R

AMP 15 Aldila RIP F

Baffler Rail H 17 & 22 Fujikura Motore S

S2 Forged 5-GW Nippon NS Pro 900xh R

SM 54 & 58 Vokey Nippon 105T W

Studio Style Newport 1.5

As long as you can hit it straight, carry it 200+ with your driver, and play the percentages, a single figure handicapper should be able to break 100 easily!..good golfers are not just confined to the professional tours you know!

As long as you can hit it straight, carry it 200+ with your driver, and play the percentages, a single figure handicapper should be able to break 100 easily!..good golfers are not just confined to the professional tours you know!

You should try visitng "reality" somtime. This kind of nonsense is in keeping with the opinion that most golfers simply have no concept of how difficult the game is at the pro level.

It is safe to say you could go to a US Open course and drop a ball 30' from each pin, call it 'on in regulation' and most us with 8-10 handicaps could not break 80. Go ahead and hit your 230-240 yard drive on 460-500 yard par four . If you are lucky enough to hit a green from the fairway, see how often you can keep the ball on the green. Try getting up and down from the rough. BS. SubPar

Im sorry, but a single figure handicapper should be able to break 100..c'monn!..now, breaking 90, thats another matter altogether. I don't think its BS at all. If i couldnt break 100 i would have to consider giving the game up.

• Administrator
Im sorry, but a single figure handicapper should be able to break 100..c'monn!..now, breaking 90, thats another matter altogether. I don't think its BS at all. If i couldnt break 100 i would have to consider giving the game up.

Most single figure handicappers don't play a course with a slope of 150 and a rating of 78 or 79.

Hey, I voted 109. He'd shoot 90 if he played to his "potential" and the rating and slope were 79 and 150, respectively. I don't know what pressure, if any, the cameras will add. They wouldn't matter to me. But the rough, heck, if the guy finds the rough on a par four or five, he's looking at adding one stroke each time. And he'll probably take 36+ putts. It's not like he's gonna get five practice rounds to get used to the greens, the rough, etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
I still think that a decent saingle figur handicapper would break 100, even on a wet horrible day.

I guess we'll see, but a lot of people are voting with scores well above 100 in the other thread...

I think you'll find that you're wrong. Again, I voted 109. A single digit (8) handicapper rarely breaks 80 on a regular course.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I still think that a decent saingle figur handicapper would break 100, even on a wet horrible day.

The U.S. Open winner, two of the last three years, won with a score of +5. The average score, for the first two days, was around 76. Therefore, PGA golfers, who carry, roughly, a +5 through +7 Tour course handicap, were six shots over par. It was anywhere from an 11 to 13 shot, drop. This is with practice.

So, you're saying that an 8 handicap, who rarely breaks 80 and probably has never played a U.S. Open set up, is going to break 100? On a wet day, to boot?

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

The U.S. Open winner, two of the last three years, won with a score of +5. The average score, for the first two days, was around 76. Therefore, PGA golfers, who carry, roughly, a +5 through +7 Tour course handicap, were six shots over par. It was anywhere from an 11 to 13 shot, drop. This is with practice.

Agreed. No matter how benign the conditions are, there is no way a 4-10 index player can break 100 on TP, or any of Open courses in the current rotation. (Maybe Merion just because it's quite a bit shorter. A sub-4 index MIGHT break 100 if he has a career day, driving it long and putting well.

Add the pressure of live network TV, celebrities, etc. and I would bet the farm that these guys don't come closer than, say, a 105. I expect there will be some penalty shots and at least a few "tap-ins" that are missed under the pressure of the day. That assumes they REALLY play the Open tees, rough depth and green speeds. If they wimp out (unlikely) on the setup then it's more achievable. Still, it will be fun to watch. Everyone loves a train wreck (i.e.NASCAR) and will especially love to see the celebs getting beaten up.

Driver: Burner TP 8.5* 65 gram Fujikura Rombax shaft 46" Stiff Midsize Tour Velvet Grip
4 Wood: 16.5* Tour Edge Exotics Accra XT60 shaft
7Wood: 21* Tour Edge Exotics Accra XT60
Hybrids: Baffler DWS 3/R (20*)& 4/R (24*), Aldila VS Proto-HL 65 Stiff
Irons: MX-25 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro 950 GH, +.75"...

• Administrator

Good point. Hadn't thought of that angle.

iacus,

I hope this is on topic, but do people here think this challenge will be good, or bad for golf?

I will withhold my thoughts until later.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

• Administrator
iacus

Who?

do people here think this challenge will be good, or bad for golf?

I think it'll have no effect on "golf." Some golf fans will watch. It's just an hour of TV. That's about it.

Surely if it has any effect at all it will be positive, it will clearly highlight the incredible skill and talent professional golfers have. It could be bad for golf if these amateurs came along shot mid 80's, but this is not going to happen!

Driver - 905r 9.5* with UST Proforce VT Stiff
3 Wood - SQ 3+ 13* with Grafallloy prolaunch blue Stiff
5 Wood - SQ 5* 19 with Aldila NV65 stiff
Irons - MP 67 3 + 5-PW 2deg Up + 1/2" with DG S300 shaft.
Wedges - SV 52/10 with true temper s400 BV Spin Milled 56/10 Wedge Flex BV Spin Milled 60/04...

• Administrator
Agreed. No matter how benign the conditions are, there is no way a 4-10 index player can break 100 on TP, or any of Open courses in the current rotation.

Though I disagree (and have some evidence to back that up), I think the problem is the difference between an 8 index and a 2 index is pretty gosh-darn big, particularly in the things that will likely be tested at a U.S. Open setup.

But still, again I've chosen 109, and I'm not changing my opinion.

Personally, I'd like it if the guy scores under 100 just so he can get on national tv and say "Suck it, Tiger!"

Driver: WRX G5 9* Fujikura Speeder 757
3-wood: G2 WRX 14*
Hybrid: G5 19*
Hibore Hybrid 3i 22*
Irons: G5 4-PW Wedges: Tour-W Black Nickel 52/12 & 58/08Putter: Milled NC #5Bag: Bagboy RevolverBall: ProV1XShoes: Adidas Tour 360 II

109 is a terrible score to make on any course, no matter how hard it is or how many cameras are there...a single figure handicapper should be able to break 100 round any course. 109 is at least 36 over par!

• Administrator
109 is a terrible score to make on any course, no matter how hard it is or how many cameras are there...a single figure handicapper should be able to break 100 round any course. 109 is at least 36 over par!

Again, I guess we'll see. No sense repeating yourself before it happens.

Note: This thread is 5815 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!