IGNORED

Getting to the next level... AND STAYING THERE!

shortgrass lover
Note: This thread is 5847 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

ok, so I'm 15 years old, and have only been playing golf for two years. I have dropped my handicap from a 16 (March), to a 10-11 as of last weekend. I shot a (+3) 75 last friday. However, it seems like it's going to be hard to consistently shoot that well consistently, even though i'm playing great lately. Is this just something mental or what? I feel like Immelman after the Masters you know? He hasn't done well since. Any tips for me?

Callaway FT-9 Tour 9.5* with Prolaunch Blue S| Adams InSight XTD A3 15* FW | Adams IDEA a3 hybrid irons | Callaway 52* X-Tour Forged wedge | Titleist Bob Vokey SM56* | PING Day putter

Favorite Ball: Srixon Z Star X

Home Course: Majestic Pines GCage: 16

I don't see any short cuts if that's what you are looking for.

Over the past three years, I developed consistency as my list of swing thoughts dwindled into feel and instinct. I only have two items left from the original list of 35. YMMV

It's like driving a car at first you are bewildered by mechanics until it becomes second nature.

Allright bro i am 15 and I am a 7 handicap (because of early year rounds) and when you have a good day take a day or two break. Don't hit any balls just putt and chip and on the next day you will be hitting good once again and have more good rounds.

Whats in my bag
Driver: 983K 8.5*
Fairway Wood: 906F2 15.0
Hybrid:585H 19*
Irons 690 CB and MB. CB 3-5 MB 6-PWWedges: Vokey Tour Chrome 54 58 Putter: Bettinardi C-04 Ball: Pro V1X

ok, so I'm 15 years old, and have only been playing golf for two years. I have dropped my handicap from a 16 (March), to a 10-11 as of last weekend. I shot a (+3) 75 last friday. However, it seems like it's going to be hard to consistently shoot that well consistently, even though i'm playing great lately. Is this just something mental or what? I feel like Immelman after the Masters you know? He hasn't done well since. Any tips for me?

Do you keep notes of how you played? For example, do you keep GIR? Fairways hit? What shot you hit on a particular hole? What shots you missed and why?

All of this is helpful in improving your game. The more you know about your game the better you will become.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

If you aren't already taking lessons on a regular basis then I suggest doing so, constant improvement with regards to ball striking comes with improved fundamentals not simply playing often or hitting a lot of balls.

The biggest key to being able to maintain your level and getting to the next is a good short game. If you have an off day and miss a lot of greens, good chipping and putting will get you by. Some of my best days have been ones where I have struck the ball pretty average but managed to get up and down from everywhere. When you are hitting a lot of greens on a constant basis it can be tempting to neglect your short game practice but don't, good ball striking can come and go, good chipping and putting if practiced constantly sticks with you through thick or thin.

Thought occurs to me: it's comfort level. Do you think of yourself as a player who regularly shoots in the mid-70s, or do you think of yourself as high 70s, low 80s, etc?

See that great round you shot? It shows you're capable of doing it. But if you think of yourself as an 80s-shooter, another round in the mid-70s may be difficult, particularly if you realize it's coming during a round.

Suggested fix: gloat, to yourself at least, about the awesome round, and about how it shows how good a golfer you're capable of being. Maybe you'll see another one pop up.

This helped when I first broke 90 with an 87. My next round was a 97, then a 103, then a 96, then a 101, then I realized that, having broken 90, a round in the low 90s is well within my capability. Next round? 91.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't take lessons and have never had a lesson in my life. However, i do plan on taking lessons this summer, from Marlene Floyd in Fayetville, NC. She is Raymond Floyds sister, and she only charges $30 an hour.

Callaway FT-9 Tour 9.5* with Prolaunch Blue S| Adams InSight XTD A3 15* FW | Adams IDEA a3 hybrid irons | Callaway 52* X-Tour Forged wedge | Titleist Bob Vokey SM56* | PING Day putter

Favorite Ball: Srixon Z Star X

Home Course: Majestic Pines GCage: 16

Don't remember the scores from past rounds only remember what you did well and what you didn't do well.

When you play golf shot by shot the final score will take care of itself. If you start the round thinking ok I shot 75 lastweek, you are already doomed. What you could do is say to yourself, ok I didn't putt very well last week or I didn't chip well last week and really concentrate on being focused on those things when those oppertunities arise.

If you can't wait for the round to end, start thinking about what good things you did today. If you are hoping that the round never ends, you know you're shooting good and your looking forward to the next shot.

Branching on what beung says - don't think of yourself as an 10-11 handicapper...that is basically "handicapping" your game. There shouldn't be a limit on your game, think of it that way - your true handicap is a reflection of the potential you have. So focus on shot by shot, not by a result.

I will say, and I think in the minority, that before a round - I put the number i want to shoot at the end of the round. What I don't do is add up the score until the round is over - thus forgetting about all holes and just going for a walk in the park - and then adding it all up. I've found that being a statistician seems to weaken my course game, which is why I do not go to the range to practice one particular thing that is bugging me - I practice it all and stick to my driving range routine.

Find a routine - but most of all don't limit your potential by labeling yourself as a 10-11 handicap, because you'll play like one and it won't make you better - which is what we all want right?
What's in R7 Bag:

R5 Dual 9.5 degree
3DX Pro 4-PW irons
3FT Hybrid 54 & 56 wedges*Gigagolf Trufeel putterMy blog:http://matt10-livethedream.blogspot.com/

Note: This thread is 5847 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!