IGNORED

Lost Ball Versus Stolen Ball

InTheTwenties
Note: This thread is 5846 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Someone stole my ball. I drove the ball about 250 and to the right, at edge of neighboring fairway.

As the others in my group hit, I saw someone wearing a extra large ultra violet pink visor cap approach where my ball was near, bend down, then drive off.

When I get to the area I cant find my ball. She stole my ball. And she was gone. QUESTION:
How do I score this? I dropped a ball, and scored as three off the tee. But shouldn't I mark the hole as Par because I was a victim?

Yeah, a lot of pressure. Rise above it. Harness in the good energy, block out the bad. Harness energy, block bad.
Feel the flow, Happy. It's circular. It's Like a carousel. You get on the horse. It goes up, down and around. Circular. Circle. With the music,the flow. All good things.I...

Technically it is probably a lost ball, but in a casual round if you see someone appear to pick it up, I would suggest dropping another one there w/o penalty.

To some people finding a golf ball is like finding the holy grail. I will pick up lost balls, but never if there is any possibility someone is playing it from somwhere on the course at that moment.

SubPar

I think you are SOL. Play it as a lost ball.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

1 stroke penalty for not chasing her down and stealing her ugle ace visor and using that as ranson for your ball.

In the Ogio stand bag

909 D2 w/ VooDoo S
15.5* 906F4 w/ Aldila VS Proto 80S
3DX DC 3 HybridFP 4-GW56* and 60* Vokey SM wedgeSophia putter

No way would I penalize myself for someone not using proper etiquette on the course.

I think you are SOL. Play it as a lost ball.

Kelly

www.finescale360.com

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If an animal takes your ball, don't the rules allow you to replace without penalty?

Technically a human is an animal, so surely you could just apply this rule?

Some more then others!

Technically a human is an animal, so surely you could just apply this rule?

Kelly

www.finescale360.com

You must go to the person who you think stole (or played your ball) and they must place it back where they stole/played it from. Then you proceed without penalty.

Any time it's happened me, the culprit has just handed me the ball which I have put back at a guess. This isn't correct but as a junior/5 day member I have kept my mouth shut. If it happens again in a serious competition I will be demanding they go back.

If the person who stole it claims they don't have it or refuses to give it to you - it's a lost ball. You must go back to the tee / place of previous shot for distance and shot penalty. Harsh - yes. But you can report that person to the club / committee.

My advice - never pick up a ball (unless you're absolutely sure it's not in play) and put some crazy marking on your ball so not only can you recognise it but so can other randomers who might play it!

WEAPONS:
Taylormade R9 10.5 L Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 15 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 19 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade Tour Preferred 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 51Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 55Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 59Yes! Tracy II putterTitleist...

You must go to the person who you think stole (or played your ball) and they must place it back where they stole/played it from. Then you proceed without penalty.

I though about talking to the person, but they were in a cart, and I was walking it. They were also far away on a steep uphill.(500+yards).

Yeah, a lot of pressure. Rise above it. Harness in the good energy, block out the bad. Harness energy, block bad.
Feel the flow, Happy. It's circular. It's Like a carousel. You get on the horse. It goes up, down and around. Circular. Circle. With the music,the flow. All good things.I...

I see a lot of confusion over a fairly common problem. The rule is quite straightforward too. If it is certain that another player in the course (known as an

outside agency ) took the ball, then you can substitute another ball, and drop as closely as possible to where the original ball lay, but not nearer to the hole (meaning that if you are uncertain, you fudge the point to be sure that it is farther from the hole). Rule 18-1 covers:
18-1. By Outside Agency If a ball at rest is moved by an outside agency, there is no penalty and the ball must be replaced. Note: It is a question of fact whether a ball has been moved by an outside agency. In order to apply this Rule, it must be known or virtually certain that an outside agency has moved the ball. In the absence of such knowledge or certainty, the player must play the ball as it lies or, if the ball is not found, proceed under Rule 27-1.

If the ball is not immediately recoverable, another ball may be substituted.

Also Decision 18-1/5:
18-1/5 Ball Stolen by Outside Agency from Unknown Spot Q. At a par-3 hole, part of the green and the adjoining area cannot be seen from the tee. In this unseen area are a bunker, fairway and a dry water hazard. A player plays towards this obscured area and cannot tell where the ball comes to rest. When the players are near the green, they see a boy running away with a ball in his hand. The boy throws the ball back and the player identifies it as his ball. The player is unable to determine from where to play his next stroke under Rule 18-1. He does not know whether the ball was on the green, on the fairway or in one of the hazards. How should he proceed? A. As it was impossible to know where the ball should have been replaced under Rule 18-1, the player should, in equity (Rule 1-4), drop the ball in an area which was neither the most, nor the least, favorable of the various areas where it was equally possible that the ball originally lay.

In the absence of certain knowledge, the ball is lost and the stroke and distance penalty applies (Rule 27-1).

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Basically rule 27-1 and 18-1 say that a ball moved or stolen by an outside agency can be dropped as near as possible to where it originally lay.

The trick is you and your fellow competitors have to be certain that the ball was taken. That is difficult at best to do if the ball is not returned by the person who took it.

I did have this happen in a tournament one time where we saw the ball land, saw some kid come into out fairway and take it and run off. Since we saw the ball land and it was visible to all of us what happened I was able to drop a ball where the original ball was an play from there no penalty.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Casual play and its obvious to everyone in the foursome then I would give you the benefit of the doubt.

If this was a legit tourney then I would say unless you can find the preson who stole it and place it back your SOL. I would like to think that anyone who is participating in the tourney would know better then to pickup any balls during the tourney.

Just get good enough so the when you play the spectators find the ball for you :P

I see a lot of confusion over a fairly common problem. The rule is quite straightforward too. If it is certain that another player in the course (known as an

Thank you FourPutt , because of your information/rule advice, I am happy to announce, but a little embarrassed to say that instead of shooting a 109, I shot a 107. (edging closer to 100, closer, closer...) .

Casual play and its obvious to everyone in the foursome then I would give you the benefit of the doubt.

If it was a legit tourney, and USGA rules apply, then the ball can be replaced without penalty.

Note: This thread is 5846 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!