IGNORED

Wie's disqualification

Rafcin
Note: This thread is 6756 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ok, I'm Michelle's fan, so it could be a subjective opinion, but try to convince me otherwise:

"... Bamberger (a reporter for Sports Illustrated) said he paced it off after Wie, playing in the final group Saturday, finished the hole. ``I did it in crude way -- 'Let's see what she has to say.' I was hopeful she could convince me,'' in the Saturday interview, Bamberger said. ``I thought about it more and was just uncomfortable that I knew something. Integrity is at the heart of the game. I don't think she cheated. I think she was just hasty.'' Asked why he didn't bring it up before the third round ended, Bamberger said, ``That didn't occur to me. I was still in my reporter's mode. I wanted to talk to her first...''

"That didn't occur to me" ?!?!?!?! Give me a f'ing break. This stinky low life was well aware, that a disqualification will be MUCH bigger story than a 2 stroke penalty, that's why. "Reporter mode" my ass - "reporter mode" doesn't mean to CREATE a story, it suppose to REPORT the story.
In general I think in golf it is rediculous to allow next day video tape reviews and listening to these fat bastards sitting in a front of their TIVO's and only waiting to get their 15 min fame by reporting something, in otherwise absolutely useless and pathetic existance.
I'm sick of it. Bamberg Sucks! Sports Illustrated Sucks!

the full story at http://sports.yahoo.golfserv.com/gdc...O&id;=36321

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ok, I'm Michelle's fan, so it could be a subjective opinion, but try to convince me otherwise:

I think I that have to agree that way this was handled is a bit strange. When I first heard that Wie was DQ'd and heard the reason, I was very confused. She was disqualified for something that happened a day before? Is there some sort of limit on how far back one can review an issue? I mean could we then say go back and review Tiger Woods's/Steve Williams's infamous "stepping on ball" incident several months/weeks after it occurs?

Personally, it just seems absurd that a player's scorecard is scrutinized *after* the tournament is over. If the scrutiny occurs during the tournament, I think it's fair game. But, to ask what happened and where you dropped the ball a day after the event seems somewhat strange, particularly when the on-course officials didn't investigate the issue during or immediately after the event. Sorry Michelle, but you just have to get used to the idea that you have a big target on you. Better it happens now than at a major or if you are winning a tournament.

Sign the slow play promise and petition

When in doubt call a rules official out. I think Bamberg just screwed himself from any future interviews with Wie..what an idiot. I also put partial blame on Wie's veteran caddie. All in all a valuable early lesson to Wie. I personally think there are numerous BS rules that are ridiculous and should be thrown out period just for the sake of the players. I think a few weeks ago Colin Montgomery was playing overseas and it was quite windy as he addressed his putt. He was brilliant and moved away..just a sthe wind picked up and blew his ball over the green. He was not charged any strokes and was able to putt again from the original position. Stupid rules like this.

...I think a few weeks ago Colin Montgomery was playing overseas and it was quite windy as he addressed his putt. He was brilliant and moved away..just a sthe wind picked up and blew his ball over the green. He was not charged any strokes and was able to putt again from the original position. Stupid rules like this.

Is that a trick post ?

He should not be putting from the original position, but from the place where the ball came to rest... Same happend to David Toms at the Masters this year. Ball was sitting on a top of the hill, about 8 ft from the cup when a gust moved it and it rolled all the way off the green. He had to putt from there. I'm pretty sure about that ruling.... but of course I might be wrong. Anyway - my original post was not about "stupid rules", but about an asswipe reporter who INTENTIONALLY (IMHO) wait until next day to get a bigger story due to disqualification resulting in his story. He was right there after Michelle hit the shot , "pacing off the drop spot" so he knew RIGHT THERE AND RIGHT NOW about the violation.

rafcin this is what is a major problem with sports reporting these days. They don't report. They create.

Same thing with the espn announcers like Chris Bermin. They think THEY are the show. They are the content. They're not reporting, they're making up their stupid ass names and jokes and thinking THEY are what it's all about. It's not about sports, it's about sports announcers and reporters now.

• Administrator
I think what the reporter did was rather jackassed.

I also think that what Michelle did was rather stupid. I'm all for the "intent" of a rule, but there's also a black and white line: closer is closer. She should have dropped well behind the line to guarantee that it wasn't closer. Verifying that it's not closer with her opponents would have also been the smart thing to do.

Chalk it up for a learning experience for Wie and a large, large portion of one reporter's 15 minutes.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yeah, that reporter is an ass. Why didn't he ask about it that same day.

Anyway, I'm wondering why tour players even need to sign their own card anymore? I mean, with all of the coverage by the networks and everyone, why even bother with these crazy rules. Why not let the tournament officials score for the players? It's not like there's any "judgement" involved with scoring - just add up the number of strokes plus any penalties and there you go.

Sign the slow play promise and petition

• Administrator
Yeah, that reporter is an ass. Why didn't he ask about it that same day.

He says it didn't occur to him. So we can all take that for what it's worth.

Anyway, I'm wondering why tour players even need to sign their own card anymore? I mean, with all of the coverage by the networks and everyone, why even bother with these crazy rules. Why not let the tournament officials score for the players? It's not like there's any "judgement" involved with scoring - just add up the number of strokes plus any penalties and there you go.

Because signing for your card is a personal verification of "yes, that's what I shot." Because signing the card is the final act of saying "I played by the rules and here is my score." Because as soon as a scoring discrepancy is found after you've signed, you're DQed (unless you should have shot lower, in which case you just take the higher score. And so on.

Tour players sign their cards as a way of maintaining the integrity and by authorizing "yes, I shot this score under the Rules of Golf." The only thing the "coverage" really provides is instant information for fellow competitors, fans, etc. - it's not the be-all, end-all, because there's certainly never a guarantee that every shot in every competition will be filmed. Signing a card - like signing a contract - is a personal testament to the score.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'm NOT a fan of Wie, but I agree with you on this. The players play in groups to validate scores and decisions. If there was a question, it should've been addressed right then. I think she played in the spirit of the game. This ain't a game like football where it's only wrong if you get caught punching someone in the teeth. I wasn't rooting for her, but that's just wrong.

I was on the road so I did not see the actual telecast...
Was the drop the one Wie took because of "bees?"
If so I thought the drop without stroke penalty was a bit suspect.
On Sunday didn't she try to get a drop in the desert because of what looked like a sprinkler head or piece of metal? Drop I think was denied...
To me she should have been a bit more humble
and definitely asked for the Rules Official to make a ruling.
Personally I dislike players who look for an advantage thru rule interpretations.
Of course, I dislike SI reporter spies even more.
Let the players and rules officials take care of the game.
If her fellow players thought there was a violation
they will be ready for her the next time !

Driver :T Edge CB-1 or Cally Mini Driver 14* or GBB 11*
Tour Edge CB2 15* 3 wood (Best Club Ever!)

Callaway XR 5Wood (New BCE!)

Hybrids: Nike SQ 23*  Tour Edge 28*

Irons: TMade RAC  7-PW   T Flight 56 SWedge
Putter: Odyssey 2 Ball Blade, SStroke flatside to hole

Let the players and rules officials take care of the game.

Of all the goofy things concerning the rules of golf, this is one of the goofiest. In no other sport would a referee or game official give a rat's ass what some spectator, sports writer or concession stand cashier saw or thought they saw in the way of a rules violation.

"Instant replaly" in most sports is fine. "Agonizingly delayed" replay makes a mockery of the integrity that is allegedly being protected. Most posters here have already made up their minds as to the motivations of the reporter. I'd like to think that perhaps part of his hesitancy was the realization that he was about to stick his nose into something that really was none of his business. If so, I wish he'd have followed that first inclination.
A Mixed Bag

Driver 320Ti, 10.5 R, stock graphite
Ovation 3W, Aldila 65R graphite
Dunlop DDH 5W Edge CFT Hybrid 3-iron, #3 graphite CFT irons 4 - E wedge, #3 graphite Apex Edge F wedge 60 degree LW Bobby Grace M5K putter Laddie X A3

I do not feel it is right to DQ someone for something they did on a previous day. If this was done on Sat I would not mind. But it just does not make sence to me to let her finish the final round then say something.

Monte miss placed his ball in the bunker in that one tourney. They did not go back and DQ him if I undersand correctly. Maybe I'm wrond and they did I don't remember. They need to change the rule. If the Rules officals don't catch it before the start of the next round and It was not done with the intent to gain a advantage it can't be called...

Totally lost in this was Kevin Stadler's disqualification on Sunday for a bent shaft in one of his wedges. This is a guy trying to earn enough to get his card for next year. I laughed when I heard about Wie's DQ...I felt horrible watching Stadler get carted off the course on Sunday.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

• Administrator
I do not feel it is right to DQ someone for something they did on a previous day. If this was done on Sat I would not mind. But it just does not make sence to me to let her finish the final round then say something.

So if someone plays a hot driver or some other kind of non-conforming equipment, and officials discover the rules violation in the fourth round, someone should not be disqualified?

Oh wait, something like that just happened this week, and it may keep Kevin Stadler from earning a PGA Tour card. His wedge shaft was found to be bent slightly. This happened Sunday morning and he had played with it in previous rounds. He was in the penultimate pairing on Sunday, and would have likedly earned enough to break into the top 125. Much larger consequences, but I can't agree with you that "after the fact" stuff is no longer viable. After all, as soon as you sign the card, it's "after the round." If that were the case, there'd never be a disqualification for rules violations because the round ends when the card is signed.
Monte miss placed his ball in the bunker in that one tourney. They did not go back and DQ him if I undersand correctly. Maybe I'm wrond and they did I don't remember. They need to change the rule. If the Rules officals don't catch it before the start of the next round and It was not done with the intent to gain a advantage it can't be called...

Monty was in a grey area. Allegations were made after the tournament was over, but nobody could come to any conclusive decision, so in that case they have to go by the honor system and honor that Monty put it back in the right place.

Wie and Stadler were proven to have not followed the rules. Motivations aside, that much is clear cut.

• Administrator

I hope to $DEITY_OF_CHOICE that Michelle Wie never tries to teach geometry:

From: http://www.lpga.com/content_1.aspx?mid=2&pid;=4925#wie
Q. Michelle, when you took the drop on 7, I know it's visual, but how can you be sure you are not dropping closer to the hole? MICHELLE WIE: Well, you know, the triangle thing to make sure that you are not closer. It looks not closer. You make sure you're farther away. It was not like on the borderline. Q. You draw a straight line from where your ball was originally, then what do you do with a triangle? MICHELLE WIE: Try to make an equilateral triangle. It sounds like I'm teaching geometry here. Q. From the hole? MICHELLE WIE: I don't know. It just don't look closer. Q. So it's visual? MICHELLE WIE: Yes.

So add "does not know what an equilateral triangle is" to the rap sheet on Michelle Wie.

hey Professor Erik, give a 16 year old kid a break, would you? I'd like to see you at 16 in this situation. I know for the fact - I myself probably would s$%t myself on the first tee, shank the shot and fainted right after it.

• Administrator
hey Professor Erik, give a 16 year old kid a break, would you? I'd like to see you at 16 in this situation. I know for the fact - I myself probably would s$%t myself on the first tee, shank the shot and fainted right after it.

I rag on her a bit harder than I should, but she's elected to allow this now. I expect more of a professional golfer, and "not nearer the hole" is hardly a difficult concept.

That she tried to explain it with "that triangle thing" really casts a shadow on how intelligent she actually is. She's never proven herself to be terribly intelligent to me. And I really don't care if she's smart, but in this instance, her being stupid (or acting stupid) cost her $50k+.

Note: This thread is 6756 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!