IGNORED

Graphite shafts, worth $50 to outfit my irons?

gsu_paintballer
Note: This thread is 5843 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've looked at some on golfsmith.com, and found them about $12-$13 each for cheaper ones. Would it be worth it to outfit my beginner set of clubs (Wilson Optimax), or should I just swing the steel shafts and buy graphite shafts when I upgrade?

It all depends on what type of player you our, if you develop enough clubhead speed i would suggest sticking to the steel shafts as in the end they will help you with accuracy.

However if you struggle with clubhead speed you could benefit from the lighter shaft.

INT Grom

MP600 - UST V2 STIFF SHAFT

PT906F2 UST V2 STIFF SHAFT RESCUE DUAL MP60 Irons CG12 Wedges Redwood Anser Black SatinITS ALL GOOD!! =]

also to be honest, $12-$13 irons are not going to be beneficial to your game, not going to have any technology or forgiveness for that price.

for the speed, can you hit it a descent distance?

INT Grom

PT906F2 UST V2 STIFF SHAFT RESCUE DUAL MP60 Irons CG12 Wedges Redwood Anser Black SatinITS ALL GOOD!! =]

also to be honest, $12-$13 irons are not going to be beneficial to your game, not going to have any technology or forgiveness for that price.

$12-$13 is for the SHAFT ONLY. Is that what you meant?

I might be misjudging....BUT I think I can hit the 5-iron about 100-110 yards. I'm also looking at somewhere from 160-175 on the driver, but it slices bad so it's hard to tell.

i wasnt quite sure what you meant, by your distances you could benefit with graphite shafts but you should ask your pro giving you a lesson as it is hard to tell without seeing you.

The shafts will cost sooo much to change, that you could probably buy an older set of graphite shafted irons for the money( callaway X12 or something)

INT Grom

• Administrator
I've looked at some on golfsmith.com, and found them about $12-$13 each for cheaper ones. Would it be worth it to outfit my beginner set of clubs (Wilson Optimax), or should I just swing the steel shafts and buy graphite shafts when I upgrade?

No.

We've seen your swing, right? You're the one that was, among other things, "hunched over" right?. If so, you probably won't hit it any farther with graphite shafts. Spend the money on some lessons. You're young - you can get the clubhead speed.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That's me. Signing up for lessons this week

Good job....that is the best money you can spend!!!

909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Why do you want graphite in your irons? They beat up easily, break easily, and if you have any swing speed at all... you are better suited with steel.

13 Wedges
1 Putter

I completely agree.
if you haven't had a lesson, then it won't hurt to learn the right things that work best for you... it'll help you learn why the ball travels the way it does when you strike it. i personally think understanding and knowing how the little intricacies impact the 100's of things the ball can do will help you overall....and besides, when they set you up for the proper swing path, you should be taking that 5 iron to at least 160 and your drives to 200.
I say spend the $ on club improvements once you've established a swing... you're supposed to upgrade your clubs/shafts, etc to compliment your game.
so until you know your true game, i'd say stick with what you have and put the $ into muscle memory lessons.
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

gsu_paintballer:

How many pros do you see using graphite shafts in their irons? (do any?)

Graphite shafts in irons don't help that much. some senior golfers who can't get the clubhead around might benefit from them, but there is no reason for a younger player to be using graphite in their irons.

Steel shafts provide more control (that is the theory). With irons, you want control over distance.

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

Note: This thread is 5843 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!