IGNORED

I am in such a slump

NM Golf
Note: This thread is 5824 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My game is terrible right now. Sure, I have had the occasional bad round before but normally I come out the next time and play alright. I have never had a series of rounds like my last 8 or 9. My last 2 rounds have been 80 and 83 and I had a 88 three weeks ago. I haven't shot above 79 on my home course in several years and now suddenly I can't break 80.

The bad thing is its not just one thing, one day it's the driver, the next day the irons, and the next day its the putter. If I was doing something wrong consistantly I could work on it, for the most part the ball just won't go into the hole. And now I feel like I am pressing and its just getting worse. I am afraid I am just going to end up a head case.

I recently went on a diet on lost nearly 40 pounds and my playing buddies are starting to call me David Duval. Have you ever been in a slump? If so what did you do to get your game back on track.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

NM,

I feel for you. I've slumped in baseball and the thing I did was not pick up a bat for a week or so. I just did not bother. I would go to the gym and run , I would play hoops. Anything but baseball.

Maybe you can do this with golf? Find another activity to take your mind off your struggles.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

The bad thing is its not just one thing, one day it's the driver, the next day the irons, and the next day its the putter. If I was doing something wrong consistantly I could work on it, for the most part the ball just won't go into the hole. And now I feel like I am pressing and its just getting worse. I am afraid I am just going to end up a head case.

I can completely relate. Right now I'm in a huge slump. Today, I didn't hit one solid iron shot, my driver was pathetic, and the only thing that wasn't worse then usual was my putting, and thats the weakest part of my game. Im not sure how to cure it either, all I know is that my confidence is dwindling.....

Sticks
driver- X460 tour 9.5 Aldila NVS 75
irons- X-forged 3-PW TT BlackGold stiff
wedges- x-tour vintage 52, 56, 60
hybrid- FT-hybrid #2 17* putter- Sophia 33" "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."_Mario Andretti

Just focus on following your preshot routine, the shot you are hitting etc etc, if your in a slump (it feels like I am in a permanent slump at the moment so I will listen to my own advice) it is probably all mental, focus on going through the motions and maybe your form will come back to you.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

I recently went on a diet on lost nearly 40 pounds and my playing buddies are starting to call me David Duval. Have you ever been in a slump? If so what did you do to get your game back on track.

I dont really have any help for you but a point of note. My buddy who used to be a scratch golfer and more recently sits at about a 3, was playing fine untill he lost 15 kilos (about 35ish pounds). Now his game has gone to custard. makes me think of a comment in a golf book I read "the golf swing and the human body are so intricate that even one slightly tight muscle can be the difference between playing well one day and not the next.

I'm starting to think that you become so used to doing well with what you have, a major change like losing/gaining 40 pounds is going to have a huge effect. As much and probably more than a major swing change which as we know, takes a while to settle and show results. Keep plugging away, he is starting to get back to his best, has had a couple of good 9 holes sets and I'm sure he isn't far from going low like he used to. Has taken several months though. Didnt Colin Montgomerie have something similar happen to him? Just my $0.02

take this however you'd like as I'm clearly not able to give advice with my high Cap to you (a low capper).

But by reading your post it's my opinion that your putting to much pressure on yourself and your out there thinking over the ball more then actually hitting it, clearly your a skilled Golfer (something I'd like to become some day but honestly I don't put enough time and effort into it)

Don't get down on yourself, enjoy Golf again, it sounds like your not having fun, it's like your out there trying to make a living at it, (you don't do you? ) but seriously have fun, enjoy it, relax and hit the ball, you know you can.

I can sympathize. Last year, I was breaking 90 pretty consistiently. Now, on the heels of a swing overhaul 3 weeks ago, I can't go back to the course until I get my swing consistient again, and it's frustrating me. My irons are working now, but my driver and my long irons are horrible. Horrible.

Horrible as in my driver will slice hard right and go 90 yards.

Still working on it.
In My TerraFirma Xi Bag:
Driver: R7 460 10.5° Fujikura REAX stock R-flex
3-Wood: Big Bertha Titanium RCH 75w Firm stock shaft
Hybrids: 585H 19.5° 4175 stock shaft
Irons (4-10): Big Bertha TT shaftsWedges: CG12 Black Pearl 52°10, 56°14, 60°10Putter: Studio Select Newport 33"Ball: ...

Take a break. You're a much better golfer than me but I played a lot of golf over the winter and the results were poor. The break did me lots of good - though I did have a creak in my back afterwards! I am on another break now (exams) - I swing a club daily in the back yard and do yoga everyday to keep my limber.

WEAPONS:
Taylormade R9 10.5 L Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 15 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 19 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade Tour Preferred 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 51Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 55Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 59Yes! Tracy II putterTitleist...

I dont really have any help for you but a point of note. My buddy who used to be a scratch golfer and more recently sits at about a 3, was playing fine untill he lost 15 kilos (about 35ish pounds). Now his game has gone to custard.

Some people who loose weight still try to setup the same (same distance from the ball, etc), but since the body has changed the setup needs to be adjusted too. If you had a bulky chest for example that may have pushed your arms out toward the ball father, but now with less weight standing that same distance away may create a bit of seperation between the arms and the body, and as a result you may benefit from standing closer to the ball (to re-establish that connection).

Like others have said stick to the basics of keeping your fundamentals (grip, aim, alignment, posture, balance, and ball position) soild (including for your putting). Check them in a mirror, reflection, or video if possible and compare your setup positions to the pros. It may take a little time, but once the repeatition is ingrained your scores should improve again.
Take a break.

If you start to get too fustrated NM Golf you might want to take hawkeye's advise and take a break. It may help refresh the mind, lower expectations for when you do return, and break some bad habits or incorrect thoughts that may have recently worked their way into your game.

That's my two cents.

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

Any time I'm in a slump, which is right now, I'll focus on things such as grip, stance and posture, just making Im sure im doing the little things right. Ill also reference to Rotella's book, Golf is not a game of Perfect. Does the trick for me.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

Thats funny, im in the exact same troubles. I feel like a horrible golfer right now and really don't feel like golfing. I hit 12/14 fairways last game. and hit 6 GIRS but my putting is horrible. I cant read a putt for my life, and As soon as i get to my pitching wedge i break down and shank it because im stopping right when i hit the ball.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

I'm on the same boat with you guys..I thought I was improving already,I scored my best score 82,then went to the range the next day and hit the ball pretty good and solid..THEN!I played a fews days after and I couldnt hit a thing!up until last Monday and Tuesday of last week I cant break 90...So,im cooled of from golf since last week,I'll be going to the range tomorrow and I shall see if that worked..LOL!

P.S. This is why we all love this sport,right?

Driver- HiBore XL 9.5°
Hybrids- #3,#4 and #5
Irons- RAC CB/MB combo
Wedge- Vokey 52° Oil Can
56° CG-1060° CG-10Putter- CorzaBall-Bag- '08 Monaco

P.S. This is why we all love this sport,right?

Lol... actually, that's why I'm starting to hate it. Really, I've been playing for one year now, and I don't expect to play like a pro, but I even can't hit the ball straight with an iron

The more I practice (3 to 4 times a week), the more lessons I take, the more I read about it, the more DVD's I watch, the worse my swing gets! Really, I'm getting frustrated and obsessed. And the problem is I don't have any clue why I'm such a bad golfer! I just don't have any fun anymore when I'm at the golfcourse/range. Golf brings out the worst in me. Could it be that some people just aren't made to golf? What keeps me going however is the feeling we all get when we hit the ball from the tee straight on the green. You guys know what I'm talking about. What a feeling! I hope to get more of that in the future, but there's a litle voice inside my head telling me I can't do it and I'd be much happier when I quit. How long should someone try before deciding golf is not for him/her? Thanks for reading all my "whining", I just had to get that off my chest So NM Golf, I sympathize with you. But look at it from the bright side, some people will NEVER break 80 Ciao,
Gear
Driver: G10 10,5° - regular flex
3-Wood: Burner Steel 15°
Hybrids: Benross V5 Escape 20°/3, 23°/4
Irons: Benross VX Combo OS 5i-SWGap Wedge: CG12 52° chrome finishLob Wedge: SM60.08 oil can finishPutter: White Hot XG #5AccessoriesStand Bag: GROMCart Bag: RC08-1Trolley: Big...

I will respectfully disagree with the "take a break" advice. Personally, a slump makes me want to play/practice even more. Grab a club and start at the beginning...check your grip, your posture, ball position. Etc.

Pretend you are giving a lesson to a higher handicap player, like me! Go through in your head what you would tell this person regarding the fundamentals and what is required to hit certain shots. Don't get too technical, keep it bare bones essentials...then go execute those things yourself.

I will respectfully disagree with the "take a break" advice. Personally, a slump makes me want to play/practice even more. Grab a club and start at the beginning...check your grip, your posture, ball position. Etc.

Well, I decided to take a break and clear my head. When I struggle sometimes I get too technical. So I did not pick up a club for 5 days (a lot for someone who hits balls everyday) and I played yesterday for the first time. It worked, back came the game. My putting was a little iffy, to say the least, but the ball striking was really good, especially the driver. I played a course I have never played before rated 74.4 and shot 75. So yippee!

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Congrats...
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

Note: This thread is 5824 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!