IGNORED

Practice Routine

dkinser86
Note: This thread is 5834 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm a young player trying to improve my game. I've never been much of a practicer, more of the Carlos Franco type that shows up and figures it out on the course. Currently, I'm struggling with the putter (what young player isn't) I was wondering what practice drills or anything of that nature everyone else uses successfully. Also, kind of related any types of drills or routines used in practicing other parts of the game.

Thanks!

In my bag:

DRIVER: 905T w/ Fujikura E360 Shaft
3 Wood 906 F4 w/ Aldila Proto "By You"
Irons: MP 30 w/ Rifle 5.5 Wedges Oil Can 50*, Vokey SM 54* and 58*Putter: C-06

I practice 5-foot putts the most. I can't get away with a bad stroke the way I can on a 3-footer.

I find a hole on the practice green and set up a 5 foot perimeter with dimes - 4-8 dimes will do. I used to force myself to have two sets of 10 in a row sunk before I could leave the green. That worked, but after missing one, I'd find myself getting sloppy until I sank another one. So now, I give myself a point for each one sunk and subtract a point for each one missed. I need 30 points to leave the practice green, and I don't take two in a row from the same area.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm a young player trying to improve my game. I've never been much of a practicer, more of the Carlos Franco type that shows up and figures it out on the course. Currently, I'm struggling with the putter (what young player isn't) I was wondering what practice drills or anything of that nature everyone else uses successfully. Also, kind of related any types of drills or routines used in practicing other parts of the game.

Im young, also, and am the exact same. I don't practise at all. I just go play. I have nowhere to practise at all.

Thats why I'm not getting better because I dont practise. But I dont have troubles with putting.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

My favorite routine is as follows (I'm a big driving range player, as I don't have easy access to courses while living in a city. I only get to a course 2, maybe 3 times a week. I can get to the range 4 or 5 times):

- Open your range session with your wedges. 30 yard pitches, 50 yard pitches, then some full shots. Do it with all of your wedges (52, 56, 60, etc...). Aim at precise targets, and realize that no matter how precise you are you can always improve in terms of accuracy here. Hit 5 balls with your 52 degree wedge to a 30 yd flag within a certain distance (5 feet?). It might take you 10-15 balls to do it, but you will notice it improve. Then do it from 50 yds, 75 yds, 100 yds (my full swing). Then do the same routine with your 56 degree wedge and your 60 degree wedge. You might be 75 balls into your range session before you are finished with the wedges, but it will help, and wedges don't take that long to hit.

Some players like to start with their wedges because it is the easiest club to hit, others like their long irons because their expectations aren't so high (Watson for example). I don't view this as exclusively warming up. I view it as improving while warming up.
  • Upvote 1

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

I practice 5-foot putts the most. I can't get away with a bad stroke the way I can on a 3-footer.

I need to work on putting and this sounds like a great practice routine. Thanks!

In my Warbird Hot:
Driver: Burner 10.5* Reg Flex
3 Wood: Mercury Golf MR Jumbo 16*
Irons: X-20 4-AW
Putter: 33" Rossa FontanaShoes:Footjoy Contour

I need to work on putting and this sounds like a great practice routine. Thanks!

It has helped me immensely. I got the idea from Phil's (and others') 3-foot routine, but stopped when I realized how sloppy I can get with 3-foot putts. So 5 feet works nice.

Plus it makes the 5-footers much less scary, and the longer ones less scary, since if you miss but are within 5 feet, you don't fear the 5-footer coming back.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Phil's 3 ft putting drill is great. It is pretty tough too, there will always be one or two of the 3 footers that are slippery. If you do it with the aim that you have to go around without missing, and if you miss you start over at the next one, it is not automatic. If you hit 90% of them, you are still failing to get 10 in a row frequently.

the other putting drill I enjoy is making 3 straight 3 footers, followed by 3 straight 5 footers, and 3 straight 7 footers, if you miss go back to the 3 footers. You get the adreline rush of pressure while trying to make the 7 footers.

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

I start with my SW and drill targets at 50-60-85, then go to 7 iron and drill the 165 flag, then some 5I's then all Drivers with my large Bucky, then I hit the putting green.

I think you have to practice as if you were playing on the course. If there is no consequence of missing a putt, it's not going to be a beneficial practice. Find a drill and create some kind of penalty if you miss. For example, as mentioned already, you have to start over if you miss, or you can't finish until you make a certain number of putts. This will add the pressure that you'll feel on the course.

When I practice the 3 foot drill, I try to imagine that the putt is for something like a $10 skin with my buddies watching me. Then when I'm on the course, I try to imagine the ease of putting on the practice green with no one around. Putting, like the rest of golf, is mostly mental. Learning to deal with that pressure is key.

In my bag:

Driver: r7 460 9.5° Stiff
3 Wood: r7 Draw
5 Wood: r7 Draw Irons 4-AW: r7 CGB Wedge: rac Satin 54° Wedge: rac Satin 60° Putter: Daytona Sport 1 34" Ball: DT solo or NXT

A while ago I read a putting game/lesson that I like to employ.

You start with zero points and have to work your way up. For example (break = left to right)

Holed: +3
Short left/center: -1
Short right: -2
Long left: +1
Long right: 0
>2ft away: -1

Keep putting until you reach X number of points. Sucks when you're at -10 and have to go somewhere...

you should focus on the quality of your work rather than the quantity of your work.
don't be in a hurry to hit 100 balls.
if you really want to get better, have a pre-shot routine and use it at the range.
use your range time on attaining accuracy and consistency.

good luck

In my bag:
Driver: R9 TP Rombax Stiff
3 Wood: R9 TP 85g Stiff
3 hybrid: X
4-SW: X-20 Uniflex

SteelLW: Forged Chrome

Putter: White Hot XG #1

I do alot of practice putting with only one ball. hit it and then hole it out. I will do 9 hole loops on the practice green and try to 2 putt or better all the holes. Typical hole is 15-35 feet.

As for the range, I hit wedges for about 50 balls, then the mid irons depending on the distance to that green and then long irons and up to driver.

Driver: 9.5 905R 757 Speeder X stiff
3 Wood: 13.0 Sonartec GS Tour Red Ice 70X
Hybrid: 17.0 Sonartec MD Stiff UST IROD
Irons: 690cb 4-PW w/Rifle 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland 900 Series Gunmetal 50, 54, 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Newport 370g head

if you really want to get better, have a pre-shot routine and use it at the range.

I agree 100%, but I want to ask: how do you do this with range mats? Every public course I've been to in Los Angeles has (except Woodley Lakes) these.

I normally take practice swings behind the ball, so I can look at the target line and because I used to do it to the side then just reach over, messing up my set up. So at the range on mats, I do the swings to the side, then step back, then step up. Is there a better way?

-- Michael | My swing! 

Note: This thread is 5834 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!