IGNORED

New love of my life.... 64° wedge!

SubPar
Note: This thread is 5808 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Don't include me in that majority

As I stated earlier, I really believe that two wedges are enough. Anything that you can do with a 64, you just as easily do with a 60. I'm sorry but I don't see any point in carrying that many extra wedges. I would much rather carry my 2-iron/hybrid and be able to set my self up for a full PW or 9-iron into a green rather than eliminate that option and be forced to play it a different way.

I guess you are able to justify it in your own ways, but I can almost guarantee you that if you're going to play a course of 7000yds you will really want to put your 4 hybrid or any other long club back in the bag.

Remember you can only carry 14 clubs. I think wasting 3 or 4 those clubs on wedges is "not smart" (for lack of better words). Do as you wish, but don't assume that everyone else feels the same.

That was quite the rant there....

What I play:
Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 Fujikura Stiff flex | Titleist 735.cm Stainless Steel True Temper S300 3-PW | Titleist Vokey GW 52 | Cleveland 588 SW 56 | Titleist Vokey LW 60 | Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless | Titleist Pro V1x

Where I play:
Texas A&M UniversityHow I play:Goals for 2008

Sorry but how is that related to the 64* wedge? :)

How do you find the 64 useful if you don't mind me asking because I wanted to try one out.

Thanks!

Rick T.
A Big Equipment Freak!!!
Life is too short not to tried everything out there

In the BagDriver: SuperQuad 10.5 REG BABYWoods: TP 3 or 5 woods R7 stiffIrons: AP1 4-PW w/Project X 5.5Wedge: Spin milled 54 (bent to 52) 56 & Special Grind "P" 60Putter: Gauge Design Japan " The Balde"Ball:...

Sorry but how is that related to the 64* wedge? :)

I admit, I love it but am not sleeping with it... yet!

Like many, if not most, 7-10 handicappers my positive results are dependant upon getting up-and-down a lot. When you are short sided, need to get over some obsticle, too close to the green the impart much spin, in the rough, dealing with firm greens, etc., a club that offers a virtually straight up and down ball flight is pretty handy. I can hit some of those shots with my 60, but laying the clubface well open is not exactly the same thing as hitting through the ball with a square, or more square, clubface. This morning I hit a few shots with the 64 from 3-10 paces off a green. I could easily fly the ball on the near edge of the green and have the ball only relase a foot or two. With my 60 I would have to modify my grip, and swing plane, and strike the ball toward the toe to hit that same distance and the ball would tend to release 4-8 feet. For people like myself who seldom hit a green from 190+, a tool for getting up and down is far more valuable than another long club. I can take a little off a 5-wood and get virtually the same result I get with my 4-hybrid, so I think this is fair trade-off. The 4 hybrid goes in the trunk for now. The utility of such a lofted club would be dependant on the nature of your game. I generally shoot around 80 with 30 or so putts. If I shoot 76-79 it is usually the result of better short game performance, not hitting more fairways and greens. I had a really poor ball striking day last week, but still managed to shoot an 80... with 23 putts. If you think a more lofted wedge would improve your game, give it a try. It is not hard to hit. Like Pelz says, most people have trouble with a lob wedge because they get tense, decelerate and let the club face get ahead of their hands. Once you trust it enough to swing on through, these wedges are the easiest clubs to hit on-line and the desired distance. SubPar

iacas, you made the same point in two straight posts. how many shots do you have around the green during an 18? how many do you have from 230? so would you rather have a extra weapon in your bag to give you more options around the greens, where you can save shots? or have a hybrid for the 230 distance you will have once a round? i think the answer is pretty easy. ill take the 64 all day long over a silly hybrid. and i think the majority will agree.

From what I read, Erik did say the same thing both times. If it works for you great. Don't compare your game to Phil M. Obviously people didn't get it the first time so he repeated it.

I tend to agree with him. If something works for you, that is all that matters.
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree , is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents"

-Nathaniel Bornenstein

From what I read, Erik did say the same thing both times. If it works for you great. Don't compare your game to Phil M. Obviously people didn't get it the first time so he repeated it.

I wonder what I said that compares my game in a favorable way, or any other way, to Phil's.

Someone pointed out that Phil carried 5 wedges last weekend and suddenly I'm accused of "comparing" my game to Phil Mickelson's. If anything, the fact that highly talented players see a benefit in carrying lofted wedges should all the more support the idea that we mortals might need them as well. Possibly the most skilled short-game player in the game sees how a 64 can do things a 60 can't, but we should not? Not dissimilar to a dolt who got all worked up one time because he thought I was equating the athletic nature of golf with that of football or soccer, when all I said was if a football or soccer player can come back from knee surgery in the same season, Tiger probably could do okay. Victims of public education no doubt. SubPar

Victims of public education no doubt.

I resent this statement.

Perhaps you should consider less offensive words to express your ideas.
What I play:
Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 Fujikura Stiff flex | Titleist 735.cm Stainless Steel True Temper S300 3-PW | Titleist Vokey GW 52 | Cleveland 588 SW 56 | Titleist Vokey LW 60 | Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless | Titleist Pro V1x

Where I play:
Texas A&M UniversityHow I play:Goals for 2008

Yeah... ok

As far as using a 64* wedge, I don't find it necessary, my highest wedge is a 60 and I rarely use it. Each to their own though
âI'm glad I brought this course, this monster, to its knees.â

What a Godsend My Wizard is,Every time I pull it out of the bag my pals can hear the words ,in pairs comps my partners say it for me.........".Come on the Wizard "

Thats my favourite club, the one where at last I can show off,hit the pin *,land within two feet, Brilliant!

Ram Wizard 64' lob wedge.

* must be lying in semi rough,on a dry sunny day the day after Ive had some of ma's ruhbarb crumble

In The Bag
Mizuno MX 560 Driver
Taylor made 3 wood
Mizuno HIFLI 21*
Mizuno MX 25's 4-pwMizuno MX series wedges 50, 56*/11 & 60*Bettinardi C02 putter4 bottles of pilsner,2 packs cigars

I'd like a 64 for when I short side myself after going for every pin! Does Phil use his in the rough? That would be scary...would probably be best off a tight lie. Probably most useful in places like Texas (Forest Creek, Round Rock...fun course.).

About multi-wedges...we just call our irons different names now. Gap wedges are really old pitching wedges. I think everyone should carry a GW now since PWs can be about 45 degrees and SWs start at about 56.

R7 TP 8.5* Fuji Speeder x-stiff (heavy,low,fade set)
975F 3W 13.5*
FX Tour Grind Nickel 3-PW +1/2", Rifle 6.5
Vokey SW 52*
CG10 LW 60* 3 dot (14* bounce) Tracy putter 35" (hit R but putt L)+ 1 club TBD...Past home courses: Unicorn GC (Stoneham, MA), Forest Creek GC (Round Rock, TX)Ball: Use...

I believe that a 60* is high enough loft as you can easily open it up to more than 70*...And I have grounded off the bounce of mine so it doesn't sit up too much when opened up. I personally think most people only need 3 wedges (47-48, 54, 60) with 6* gaps each...
The 64 seems like just too much...
Driver Titleist 905R 9.5* (Stiff Prolaunch Blue 65g)
Hybrid: PT 585.H 17 * (Stiff titleist 75g shaft)
Irons: 695.cb 3-9 ( Dynamic Gold S300)
Wedges: 735.CM 47* PW, Vokey 200 series 50.08 Oil Can Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 Tour chrome, Vokey Spin Milled 58.08 Oil canPutter: Wilson Staff Kirk Kurrie #1[CO.....

what 64 degree wedges are you guys playing? i currently play cleveland 588 rtg dsg wedges (52, 56, 60). i wanted to try some vokey wedges but i cant find a 64 degree. i asked my local dealer if they could bend a 60 to 64 and after a call to titleist i was denied.

toby
in my bag:
driver: titleist D1 9.5 stiff3 & 5 wood: taylormade burner stiffhybrid: taylormade rescue mid 21 stiffirons: mizuno mp-60 4 thru pwwedges: cleveland cg 10's (52,56,60)putter: scotty cameron Newport 2 (35 inch)balls: titleist pro v1 (how do you...

i don't play a 60 or a 64, the greens i play (and most of you probably) arent fast enough, you can easily open up and cut across it with a 56 and send it up your nose, i find the best wedges for me are 48/54/58

INT Grom

MP600 - UST V2 STIFF SHAFT

PT906F2 UST V2 STIFF SHAFT RESCUE DUAL MP60 Irons CG12 Wedges Redwood Anser Black SatinITS ALL GOOD!! =]

I wonder what I said that compares my game in a favorable way, or any other way, to Phil's...

I wasn't directing my comment towards you SubPar. I have wanted to mess around with a 64 for a while but haven't gotten around to it, because of other things. More power to you!

Glad you are enjoying it, and I appreciate the thread. My comment was directed towards young gun which is why I quoted him. It looked to me like he was jumping all over iacas' shit for no reason. In this thread and in at least one more that i had read that day. Not that he needs me to defend him but I didn't it was called for.
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree , is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents"

-Nathaniel Bornenstein

• Administrator
Dave Pelz answers common lob wedge questions and says you should put a 60-degree club in your bag

Dave Pelz also says you should putt square to square. Clearly the guy isn't always quite right.

[/bit of sarcasm]
how many shots do you have around the green during an 18?

None that I can't hit with the three wedges I own. It's pretty easy to turn a 60° wedge into a 64° wedge.

On Friday (on the 17th hole) I turned my 9-iron into about a 70° wedge. I laid the face way open, gripped down, took a really wide, open stance, and dropped my hands really low. In other words, I already have versatility with my wedges, so I don't need to carry more.
so would you rather have a extra weapon in your bag to give you more options around the greens, where you can save shots?

That's based on the assumption that I could save shots by adding a wedge. I couldn't. I have just as many options with three wedges as I would with four. I just have to make some adjustments. From that close, it's all about feel anyway. I spent a lot of time as a kid hitting all sorts of shots in my back yard. I can hit a 3-iron higher than some people can hit their pitching wedge, greenside. Obviously I don't do that, but the time I spent practicing it (like Seve hitting out of greenside bunkers with a 2-iron) helped me.

ill take the 64 all day long over a silly hybrid. and i think the majority will agree.

The "majority" of golfers probably shouldn't be using even a 60° wedge. In general, it just gets them into more trouble.

But that's "in general." Specifically, _I_ don't need four wedges and the OP seems content (and capable) with his 64, so more power to us both.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

what 64 degree wedges are you guys playing? i currently play cleveland 588 rtg dsg wedges (52, 56, 60). i wanted to try some vokey wedges but i cant find a 64 degree. i asked my local dealer if they could bend a 60 to 64 and after a call to titleist i was denied.

I have a Cleveland. 4 degrees might be too much to bend a wedge. Also that would create a weird bounce angle.

Several people I played with this weekend will be shopping for 64s after they saw how I was hitting soft shots to short sided pins with virtually no release. I played 27 holes Saturday +8 (38/78) and had half dozen situations where the 64° made it easy to score, plus one full shot from 60 yds that landed two inches from the hole and left me 3 ft. putt. It might have been possible to pull a few of those shots off with my 60°, but it would have required a great deal more skill. BTW: I never missed the hybrid I took out to fit the extra wedge in. Better players who hit a lot of greens might not need a 64°, but if your game calls for lots of up-and-downs from 5-40 yards, you might want to consider it. Maybe this is unusual, but it seems I have a 14 handicappers long game and a 1 handicappers short game. Without my being able to get close enough to have a lot of one-putts, I would never be able to maintain a 7-8 index. I can see after just a couple of rounds, the 64 has the potential to save me 1-3 strokes a round. SubPar

If your facing lots of high flop shots... Work on your course management not you flop shots.

INT Grom

MP600 - UST V2 STIFF SHAFT

PT906F2 UST V2 STIFF SHAFT RESCUE DUAL MP60 Irons CG12 Wedges Redwood Anser Black SatinITS ALL GOOD!! =]

You can have the best course management in the world and still miss greens a few yards right or left. Or short or long. Or have to chip out from behind trees and be left with less than a full swing.

Bill

If your (sic) facing lots of high flop shots... Work on your course management not you flop shots.

Most golfers miss 50% or more of the greens. Not hitting greens is a fact of life, not the result of poor course management, unless you are suggesting not going for the greens and laying up 80 yards out every time.

SubPar

Note: This thread is 5808 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!